Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If the team elects arbitration, the player picks the years. Gus could go with 2 and never pick up the phone again, same as Fiala could’ve.
Ah yes, I forgot that's how it works. Is the opposite also true, that if the player elects for arbitration the team selects the term?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just been confirmed by the league
I don't know enough about SKA's situation to know why they would trade a good player for the rights to two players playing in North America, but I doubt it's because they expect to be able to sign the one who just broke out in the NHL. My bet would be that it's money or salary cap related.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Uh oh. I wouldn't expect Kazan to lure away a foreigner, but St Petersburg is a nice city. Hopefully Gus doesn't bolt.

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If there’s no progress made, the Wild could eventually take Gustavsson to arbitration and accept an award on a one-year deal.

“We’ll see what the timing is for Gus. There’s no rush,” Guerin said. “We’re going to get it done like this (an extension) or through arbitration. I’m fine with whatever.”
What makes it complicated? Gustavsson is an interesting case. He ranked second in the league in goals-against average and save percentage this season, but he played in less than half of the Wild’s games (39), which was double the total of his career high from the previous season.
So Gustavsson’s season was special, but his track record isn’t very large. And he admitted he was “average” in the playoffs after a historic Game 1 performance in the Wild’s double overtime victory. The Wild want to re-sign him but won’t want to give up too much term as they’ve got prized goalie prospect Jesper Wallstedt seasoning in AHL Iowa. The club has only about $8 million of cap space available, and after Gustavsson, they’ll still need to sign other players like Brandon Duhaime, Mason Shaw and, perhaps, Ryan Reaves.
So why doesn’t either side seem concerned? The key is that the Wild want Gustavsson and the goaltender loves it in Minnesota.
We broke down what Gustavsson’s contract could look like in a story last month. New contracts for goalies coming off a season in which they broke out to take over an 1A role have tended to be midrange recently. It’s a position teams seem to still know less about than others, so how they value it varies. The overall trend is to not invest a huge chunk of the cap in a goalie unless he’s proven over time that he’s a bona fide 1A, as you can see in the chart below. A contract in the three-year, $3 million-plus range fits with the comps and the situation.
IMG_7369.jpg

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Good conversation with Gus here (w/ Friedman and Marek)

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Good to see Gus Bus getting back on track.
Starting to transform from a minibus to a greyhound again.
He is riding a career high 4 consecutive starts as of now, will he get another start tomorrow?

How will the history of the bus continue going forward?

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Would you trade Gus right now for a late first round draft pick? Bring up Wallstedt and look to the future?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Kind of a luxury to have two #1 goalies. Nobody does that.
Boston does. As long as you're not paying either of them #1 goalie money, it doesn't hurt your team to do so.

My personal view on it is that it's better to wait and make sure your goalie of the future will pan out than to trade your goalie of the right now and find out he won't the hard way.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
All right. Consensus says no. I’m not convinced he's a long term starter and it seems like a number of teams are looking for a starter. Was thinking it might be a sell high opportunity. We’ll see how it plays out.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
All right. Consensus says no. I’m not convinced he's a long term starter and it seems like a number of teams are looking for a starter. Was thinking it might be a sell high opportunity. We’ll see how it plays out.
I am actually not fully opposed to it, but I would really need to be wowed by the return. I think its a needless risk when you could just hold him for another year and not have him lose any value while we assess what we have in Wallstedt. We also just straight up don't have a 3rd goalie option future wise so keeping the two young and (hopefully) effective players would seem quite strong for a team trying to become a contender.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Don't really need to be convinced that Gus is a long-term starter if you're also convinced that Wallstedt is a future star.

His role just shifts to allowing Wallstedt to play however many games you think it takes to properly develop at the NHL level.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
a lot of players have 2nd year slumps or he could have a nagging injury we are unaware of. all this means is we can resign him cheaper!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
a lot of players have 2nd year slumps or he could have a nagging injury we are unaware of. all this means is we can resign him cheaper!
We already did re-sign him for two more years after this one, and this is his 4th year in the NHL. I would've been fine with a slight drop off from last year, but this year he has been borderline terrible, and not even close to what he was last year. I think that he is the greatest reason that we are not in playoff position this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad