Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
See. I view it like the term "skating". Is it strictly skating forward?
Skating, to me, also entails acceleration, edgework, stopping, etc.
I understand, but positing is a bit more separated from lateral movement than that IMO. What you're talking about with skating actually is very much integrated with that.

Positioning is about a mental aspect of knowing where you need to be based on where the puck is. Lateral movement isn't so much the mental as it is the physical ability to get there quickly. That's why it's such a different skill IMO.

Dubnyk showed that difference very well. Great lateral movement, but his positioning depended greatly on his level of focus. When he was off, his positioning suffered, that didn't change his ability to move post to post, but he was just off proper position that lateral movement couldn't help, as they didn't even need the pass to get openings he was giving the puck carrier to begin with.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
3zwys871y0ja1.jpg

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Explain why Fleury is here?

I can't explain why I'm here, or what here even is. I think those answers came in the higher level philosophy class that I never took. :dunno:

I may or may not have gotten booted out of that class for simply being myself with the prof (I still got credit for the class).

Reactions: thestonedkoala

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Main board showing why Gus Bus won't be in Vezina talk... in a thread about the 5 best goalies right now, his name isn't even mentioned in anyone's top 10.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Main board showing why Gus Bus won't be in Vezina talk... in a thread about the 5 best goalies right now, his name isn't even mentioned in anyone's top 10.

Yeah, Gus' name seems to only pop up on the main boards when someone wants to make fun of Dorion's offseason moves.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He shouldn't be in the Veznia talk imo. He won't even start half of the team's games this season.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yeah, Gus' name seems to only pop up on the main boards when someone wants to make fun of Dorion's offseason moves.
Us Sens fans are arguing our arses off over how bad this trade was. Really hope y'all keep developing Gus into a top goalie as long as possible so Dorion gets fired by new management and future GM's learn from his piss poor player evaluation

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Us Sens fans are arguing our arses off over how bad this trade was. Really hope y'all keep developing Gus into a top goalie as long as possible so Dorion gets fired by new management and future GM's learn from his piss poor player evaluation
The only thing I would say is that goalies always thrive on the Wild whether that is taking a jump or resurrecting their career after trending downwards. Those goalies outside of the Wild system and organization may stay decent for a season or two but they generally fade off the farther they get from their system.

I'm not sure Gustavsson would have done this if he didn't get traded to Ottawa and I'm not 100% sure he would be this if he wasn't playing for the Wild. That being said, I'm sure you could say the same for really any goalie in any situation in that goalies play is somewhat related to the ability of the structure in front of them to do a few things that puts them in positions to succeed.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only thing I would say is that goalies always thrive on the Wild whether that is taking a jump or resurrecting their career after trending downwards. Those goalies outside of the Wild system and organization may stay decent for a season or two but they generally fade off the farther they get from their system.

I'm not sure Gustavsson would have done this if he didn't get traded to Ottawa and I'm not 100% sure he would be this if he wasn't playing for the Wild. That being said, I'm sure you could say the same for really any goalie in any situation in that goalies play is somewhat related to the ability of the structure in front of them to do a few things that puts them in positions to succeed.
That said, the goalies that fail here are REALLY bad as well and almost never improve after moving on. Talbot was playing pretty poorly his last season here (outside the post trade deadline run).

If a goalie can be avg elsewhere, he can be VERY GOOD here. A avg goalie here will be below avg usually elsewhere. (There are exceptions as to where the goalie may go and may still be at least avg, as we don't have the BEST defense but we do have a top 5 defense likely)

Ottawa last year was probably the last place any goaltender would've wanted to play with how bad that defense was, which was why I had hope for Gus when we made the deal. Gus, behind our defense is a phenomenal goalie! I don't think he would've made this jump had he stayed in Ottawa at all, until they improve play in their own zone first.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

That's why I was confused as to why Dorion got Talbot, did he really think that Ottawa's defense was anywhere near what Minny's was and that he was putting Talbot in a position to succeed? Can't wait for him to be fired

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
That said, the goalies that fail here are REALLY bad as well and almost never improve after moving on. Talbot was playing pretty poorly his last season here (outside the post trade deadline run).

If a goalie can be avg elsewhere, he can be VERY GOOD here. A avg goalie here will be below avg usually elsewhere. (There are exceptions as to where the goalie may go and may still be at least avg, as we don't have the BEST defense but we do have a top 5 defense likely)

Ottawa last year was probably the last place any goaltender would've wanted to play with how bad that defense was, which was why I had hope for Gus when we made the deal. Gus, behind our defense is a phenomenal goalie! I don't think he would've made this jump had he stayed in Ottawa at all, until they improve play in their own zone first.
This was my point with "Those goalies outside of the Wild system and organization may stay decent for a season or two but they generally fade off the farther they get from their system." but you worded it more strongly.

Reactions: TaLoN

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
This was my point with "Those goalies outside of the Wild system and organization may stay decent for a season or two but they generally fade off the farther they get from their system." but you worded it more strongly.
Or maybe just moving out of the state does the trick?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Such a good article on Gus Bus...

Even Billy G says they got lucky with Gus...
“Honestly, there was a good deal of work that went into it, but we also have to admit there’s luck and timing,” Guerin says. “We didn’t expect this. We’re not that smart.”
Also, after extending Flower and Talbot getting upset through his agent, the Wild tried to extend Talbot too... which would've meant, no Gus...
Even through that, the Wild had offered a one-year extension to Talbot. Had Talbot agreed to it, Gustavsson’s emergence as one of the feel-good stories of the season might have never happened.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I really hope they manage to sign The Gus Bus this summer. And one more Goalie for cheap, so Wallstedt can have one more year in the Ahl, to develop, and one more year under his belt. Then the Wild could have a great tandem for years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I really hope they manage to sign The Gus Bus this summer. And one more Goalie for cheap, so Wallstedt can have one more year in the Ahl, to develop, and one more year under his belt. Then the Wild could have a great tandem for years.
That's the plan. With Gaudreau's unexpectedly reasonable signing, they can give Gus a good offer. I would hope that he would be smart enough to realize that MN is a vg place to be a goalie, as he has experienced the opposite in OTT.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That's the plan. With Gaudreau's unexpectedly reasonable signing, they can give Gus a good offer. I would hope that he would be smart enough to realize that MN is a vg place to be a goalie, as he has experienced the opposite in OTT.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave a bit of a discount because I thought I read that he was very close to being out of the league.

I don’t think he’ll cost THAT much, however, he’ll likely get more expensive the further into the playoffs we go - assuming he’s playing well

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I thought I heard Russo say somewhere that his agent really plays hardball with negotiations typically, so this could be a contract that goes deep into the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad