Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
8 years, 2 million

What game are we playing?
You missed it

Why would Gus want that type of contract? He's not a 20yo with no chance at UFA money for 7 years...
Becuase it’s a guaranteed 15 million? It takes him to 29 where he can cash in again? Idk , maybe 5x3.5? I don’t think I’d want to go to 4 million long term myself but he is looking like a legit number 1

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Becuase it’s a guaranteed 15 million? It takes him to 29 where he can cash in again? Idk , maybe 5x3.5? I don’t think I’d want to go to 4 million long term myself but he is looking like a legit number 1

A 5 year deal is 2 RFA seasons and 3 UFA seasons. The $3m (ish) is fine for his RFA seasons. It's the UFA seasons that need to be paid for.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
A 5 year deal is 2 RFA seasons and 3 UFA seasons. The $3m (ish) is fine for his RFA seasons. It's the UFA seasons that need to be paid for.
Agree , it’s risky for both sides

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Totally agree with this from his perspective. He’s on an absolute heater and maybe this is who he is. But 20-25 million is life changing money and he would hopefully see it that way.
A deal like Brodin and Coyle got, 6x4. Gus has only had 2/3rds of a good season, but if he finishes off the season, and has a good playoff(!), then that might be the way to go. He can turn it down and bet on himself, but I think he’d be crazy to.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Didn’t think about this but I guess he still is a rookie based on games:

Wait no he’s not lol

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn’t think about this but I guess he still is a rookie based on games:

Wait no he’s not lol

Twitter broke their API tools (rumor is, they somehow locked themselves out of them too), so embeds for Twitter aren't working anywhere on the net right now

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Gus is the number one reason Wild have moved where they are. I love MAF but Gus has made regular great saves-good position, no flopping, no soft goals and consistent. Small sample I realize but hopefully doesn’t want too much $.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Twitter broke their API tools (rumor is, they somehow locked themselves out of them too), so embeds for Twitter aren't working anywhere on the net right now
But Twitter is such a well run company. How could this have happened!? :laugh:

I see Gus being nominated, but not winning the Vezina

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Gus is the number one reason Wild have moved where they are. I love MAF but Gus has made regular great saves-good position, no flopping, no soft goals and consistent. Small sample I realize but hopefully doesn’t want too much $.
He is directly and 100% responsible for us being in a playoff spot. There is no other reason at all besides his play. I mean going 8-2 over a 10 game stretch where we scored the least amount of goals in the entire league doesn’t need to be written in crayon for people to understand.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He is directly and 100% responsible for us being in a playoff spot. There is no other reason at all besides his play. I mean going 8-2 over a 10 game stretch where we scored the least amount of goals in the entire league doesn’t need to be written in crayon for people to understand.
You can credit the team's defense as well. Natural Stat Trick says they've given up the second fewest "high danger chances against" this year.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You can credit the team's defense as well. Natural Stat Trick says they've given up the second fewest "high danger chances against" this year.
That's why any goaltender should love it here and any goaltender that struggles here needs to go. The defense makes the job so much easier... has for a long time.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Agree our structure has been sound and all the dpairs have been gelling pretty well

That's why any goaltender should love it here and any goaltender that struggles here needs to go. The defense makes the job so much easier... has for a long time.
Absolutely

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think Gus helps the team in that stat too. He has fantastic rebound control and puck tracking. It’s a night and day difference between him and Fleury in that regard.

It is crazy how well the defense has played without Brodin. Thought was gonna be a dagger in this team, but they’ve managed extremely well.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
i don't and never will understand what skills make a good goalie. i do know this kid deserves a gold metal!
A good team in front helps. Confidence is the main thing, some goalies have it at 20 some get it closer to 30. We are a strange breed. With cool armour!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Puck Tracking, yes. I view lateral movement as part of positioning. Semantics though.
I disagree, Backstrom was a great example of good positioning, terrible lateral movement.

It comes into play more when things get in tight and the puck moves quickly from one side of the crease to another on a rush for example. He could not get from post to post very well at all.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I disagree, Backstrom was a great example of good positioning, terrible lateral movement.

It comes into play more when things get in tight and the puck moves quickly from one side of the crease to another on a rush for example.

See. I view it like the term "skating". Is it strictly skating forward?
Skating, to me, also entails acceleration, edgework, stopping, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad