Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Didn’t see a thread for him. If there is, mods please merge.

Wasn’t sure on Gus early on. He’s been pretty rock solid lately. Save % up to .914.

His last 5 games:

Maybe he’s a potential starter? He’s only 24 years old.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not sold on him yet, too small of a sample size so far. The long range shots seem to get past him too often.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm hopeful. The main problem I've seen so far is that he tends to let in long range shots that should be stopped. I don't know what that's about. Concentration? Eyesight? Technique? Nerves? If he can fix that then he can be at least a legit backup, if not more. Too early to say, really, but there are hopeful signs

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm not sold on him completely either. However, the last few games (discounting the one sub .900) show why Sens fans liked him and thought he had potential

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn’t see a thread for him. If there is, mods please merge.

Wasn’t sure on Gus early on. He’s been pretty rock solid lately. Save % up to .914.

His last 5 games:

Maybe he’s a potential starter? He’s only 24 years old.
Loved his game on Wednesday. We haven't had a goalie who tracked the puck as well as he did in a while. Was very in control of every rebound and he moves well.

Definitely has potential to put together all those tools.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, what do the goalie experts around here think of Gus? I see a big guy who seems to stop shots, and no longer lets in those goofy, soft goals. He's still young, also. Is he a flash in the pan, or are we onto something?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So, what do the goalie experts around here think of Gus? I see a big guy who seems to stop shots, and no longer lets in those goofy, soft goals. He's still young, also. Is he a flash in the pan, or are we onto something?
By no means an expert but I saw potential in him before the trade. He's
1) a big goalie (most goalies are nowadays).
2) reasonably square to the puck. (positionally sound)
3) has pretty good lateral movement.

What do I think we have in him? He'll be an above average starting goaltender. His game won't ebb and flow too much. His highs won't be absurdly high, but his lows won't be absurdly low. That's not to say he won't have good or bad games, they just won't often win or lose games nor will he be hot or cold for very long.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Contract wise and yes playing wise.

Talbot has a 2.74 GAA and a .911 SV%
Fleury has a 2.81 GAA and a .904 SV%

In advanced stats, Talbot and Fleury aren't that far off.
Could you expand on what you mean by contract wise since Fleury's cap hit is lower than Talbot and with similar advanced stats? Did you mean you prefer the expiring UFA contract?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Gus has 10 games of > .920 save % and 5 games of < .900 save %

Feast or famine, but definitely much more of feasting, especially lately.

Definitely would be nice to able to take our time with Wallstedt.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Gus has 10 games of > .920 save % and 5 games of < .900 save %

Feast or famine, but definitely much more of feasting, especially lately.

Definitely would be nice to able to take our time with Wallstedt.

If that's feast or famine, what do we call Fleury? 11 games above .920, 11 games below .900, only one between .900 and .920.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If that's feast or famine, what do we call Fleury? 11 games above .920, 11 games below .900, only one between .900 and .920.

Par for the course for Wild goalies, it's how it's been for years. The goalies just haven't had many .901-.919 sv% games overall.

I look at sv% as more of a season stat, not individual game stat. It's just easy for one fluke goal make a good game look bad.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think he moves real well and when he sees the puck... he REALLY sees the puck and tracks it very well. Pretty good rebound control when he's feeling it too. Overall, I like his general positioning and his movement. I think he's already better than Flower is, and is the best get of the offseason. I know I was not happy when we signed Flower, but that was because we still had Talbot and thought they were going to go with both. Talbot got upset and the team shipped him out and Gus is probably the best goaltender of the entire trio involved, so it worked out pretty damn well IMO.

Rather have Talbot/Kahkonen than Fleury/Gus

Talbot > Fleury (especially with his contract)
Gus > Kahkonen
Gus > Talbot
Gus > Flower
Flower = Talbot
All of the above > Kahkonen

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Rather have Talbot/Kahkonen than Fleury/Gus

Talbot > Fleury (especially with his contract)
Gus > Kahkonen

Less than half the season is complete… Talbot was injured to start, Fleury has vastly improved, and yet you’re going on with these hot takes?

37 games.
Thirty. Seven.

Give me a flippin’ break dude.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Stats aside, I think we're nitpicking some of the sv % and GAA numbers here, I am TOTALLY fine with MAF/GUS and then later GUS / Wall

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I feel significant'y better about Gus than I did during Kahkonen's hot streak.

Gus isn't leaving pucks sitting right on the doorstep like Kahkonen did.
Rebound control is such an important part of a goaltender's game. It's why we knew Dub was done before the stats started to show he was done. A goaltender struggles with rebound control, it's only a matter of time before the rest of their game follows.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Could you expand on what you mean by contract wise since Fleury's cap hit is lower than Talbot and with similar advanced stats? Did you mean you prefer the expiring UFA contract?

Yes, I prefer an expiring contract. Also a bit on Fleury's age. Talbot isn't also making much more than Fleury at this point.

Less than half the season is complete… Talbot was injured to start, Fleury has vastly improved, and yet you’re going on with these hot takes?

37 games.
Thirty. Seven.

Give me a flippin’ break dude.

It's been longer than that. Fleury was pretty bad when he got here as well last season.

I feel significant'y better about Gus than I did during Kahkonen's hot streak.

Gus isn't leaving pucks sitting right on the doorstep like Kahkonen did.

Kahkonen had a lot of rebound control and I have to wonder why the coaches never really addressed it. He was pretty damn good in the AHL though and is fairly young. Who knows if he'll rebound or not.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
24 year old goalie, 2nd rounder, good size, sporting a .924 save % and a 2.25 GAA looks pretty good to me.

Reactions: TaLoN

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Yes, I prefer an expiring contract. Also a bit on Fleury's age. Talbot isn't also making much more than Fleury at this point.

It's been longer than that. Fleury was pretty bad when he got here as well last season.

Kahkonen had a lot of rebound control and I have to wonder why the coaches never really addressed it. He was pretty damn good in the AHL though and is fairly young. Who knows if he'll rebound or not.

Maybe I should phrase this a different way. You’re choosing to, at 37 games into this season, gripe about our goaltending when it is arguably, alongside better overall team defense, the greatest contributor to our turnaround.

And if your best argument to that, is that this current version of our team’s defense would also make Talbot and Kahkonen better, then you would concede the fact that many goalies in this system would perform above average. And at that point, what is really the problem then having Fleury and Gus?

Read the room….

Reactions: P10p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad