Confirmed with Link: Filip Chytil Extended 4 Years $4.4375M AAV

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rangers waited four years before the Kids became depth players who actually contributed. If they are planning on infusing Othmann and Cuylle next season as cheap parts, it should be with the expectation there won’t be much offense from them.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lafreniere's contract is another issue. Where is his place on the roster? Panarin and Kreider are ahead of him on the depth chart. Is that situation really changing?
Someone has to move to the right side. I don't care who it is, but it would be ridiculous to trade Laf and then spend money to add someone on the right side.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I love this signing.

In 2 years, you can start to consider moving Trocheck, or as early as next year, sliding him down the roster. Just fantastic value and a perfect time/length for Chytil. He’ll be 27 at contracts end, and the team can either move on or lock him in for age 27-33 if he’s earned it. I think this is probably anywhere from $1M-$1.8M below market value.

I do agree there is a chance Goodrow is moved to try to sign Tarasenko and/or Kane. Only hope for both is if both take massive discounts. Could see Kane taking a Bergeron/Krejci contract. Think Miller and Laf get squeezed a little

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
That makes more sense to me.

Motte should take the vesey deal. Little less avv but gets multiple years. He could be the 4C too. With vesey and Cuylle
We tried to go super cheap on Motte last offseason and it didn’t work out. It forced us to have to waste assets to re-acquire him.

Just take your medicine and give him $1.15M to $1.25M and move on. He’s worth more than that as it is. Halak should be a league minimum guy at this point in his career.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers went through hoops to acquire Kane and fit him into the cap. The Rangers lost their flexibility to add another player(a different player than another scoring wing) or two(maybe another depth D) and potentially leave enough room to absorb the bonuses into this season's salary cap.

Chytil's number came in the high 4M-$4.5M range. He has no trade protection in the contract. No restriction clauses. Drury has the flexibility to move him at some point without worrying about any clause.

How do the Rangers put together a solid roster for next season with their cap situation? 1-22/23. That is the issue. Management doesn't have much flexibility to change the roster. Brooks loves his 3rd line checking line but that is not an option now. Unless the players want to pay more escrow, the cap will be $83.5M for next season. There is a possibility the cap could go up more than $1M depending upon how many games are played in the playoffs and which teams are playing in those playoff games.

The Rangers will re-sign Miller. The Dobson contract. 3 years/$12M. Drury gave Lindgren a 3 year 2nd contract. Miller will be a group II with arbitration rights after the three year contract. The cap should be much higher. The Rangers will have lost some of their expensive contracts by that point.

$83.5M-23-24
$88M-24-25
$92M-25-26-First season of Shesterkin extension

Miller extension(3rd contract) would start in 26-27.

Lafreniere's contract is another issue. Where is his place on the roster? Panarin and Kreider are ahead of him on the depth chart. Is that situation really changing? They say $1M for every 10 points. Chytil has 42 points. What will Lafreniere ask for in his next contract? He has 36 points this season. He has a strong finish in the regular season and another strong playoff performance. He is still the 3rd LW on the team. The Rangers could replace him with Othmann on the 3rd line for $894,167. Othmann would not have to move to RW.

The Rangers will need to find another RW to play in the top six. The Rangers don't have much money. Goodrow's money needs to be moved to help fill out the roster. The buyout option is available. $200,000 credit next season. $100,00 credit in 24-25. A trade is the better option with the Rangers not attaching assets to move the contract. Having Goodrow on the books for the next eight seasons is annoying.

The Rangers need a back-up goalie. A competent goalie. Not Garand or spicy pork. Halak. One year contract. $1M base. Not $1.5M base like this season. $1M base with $500,000 in performance bonuses which are easy to achieve. Ten starts. $500K. Halak would need to get hurt or play some bad hockey not to reach the bonus. Roll the $500K into the 24-25 cap which should be $88M. Halak has been very good for the Rangers. He knows his role. The Rangers need another defenseman. Jones most likely. Jones needs a new contract. It will be a cheap contract. His QO is $874,125. The Rangers need five or six forwards depending upon what happens with Lafreniere's contract.

The Rangers have $12,373,809 in cap space without knowing the performance bonus overage from this season. $83.5M cap. 14 players. Subtract Goodrow's money. $16,015,476. 13 players. Miller will get at least $4M. 14 players again. A shade over $12M in space. Pay Halak $1M. $11M in space. 15 players. Jones signs his QO or maybe the Rangers give him $800,000 one way. The QO will be a two-way deal. $800,000 for Jones. 16 players. Around $10M in space. Seven forwards under contract. Panarin. Zibanejad. Kreider. Trocheck. Chytil. Kakko. Vesey. The Rangers need six more forwards. It would be nice to not ice a team with Jake or Carpenter next season. The Rangers still need a top six RW. Where is that player coming from and how do the Rangers pay him? The Bruins are facing a cap crunch. DeBrusk could be a cap casualty at $4M.

Goodrow will be a big loss. The Rangers will need to replace him. Last summer Acciari went for $1.25M and Motte went for $1.35M. $83.5M cap. There should be good deals available. What does Motte want?

Lafreniere is getting what Chytil and Kakko got and he's going to like it. Miller's contract will start with a 4, which is already a win. Lindgren & Chytil have both taken discounts, now K'Andre will too. Cuylle and Jones will be on next years roster. Robertson & Othmann will be pushing beyond that. Goodrow still probably gets moved. Motte & Halak will both be back on the cheap imo.

The only question to me is which one of Kane or Tarasenko comes back, and how painful would it be to retain both? To win in this NHL players need to take discounts, and I think we will see a lot of our guys come in under what we think is market value. I'm very much not concerned about icing a contending roster next year when the most concerning questions are around the margins.

Final thought on Chytil is that Drury and the Rangers removed some uncertainty and made the team significantly better through the conclusion of the Panarin window. Mika-Troch-Chytil locked in down the middle for 4 years minimum. Love to see it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We tried to go super cheap on Motte last offseason and it didn’t work out. It forced us to have to waste assets to re-acquire him.

Just take your medicine and give him $1.15M to $1.25M and move on. He’s worth more than that as it is. Halak should be a league minimum guy at this point in his career.

On the contrary, Motte should take his own medicine. Was waiting until late in the summer and playing for a bad team in Canada worth the extra couple hundred thousand to stay here? Cleary he loves it here and is very well liked in the room. 2 years 1M AAV. Stability for Motte and his family and a chance to win a Cup.

Reactions: Callafan24

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
On the contrary, Motte should take his own medicine. Was waiting until late in the summer and playing for a bad team in Canada worth the extra couple hundred thousand to stay here? Cleary he loves it here and is very well liked in the room. 2 years 1M AAV. Stability for Motte and his family and a chance to win a Cup.
Motte doesn’t need to take any medicine. He’s the UFA, who will likely get paid more by someone else. He’s the one with the leverage here. He also has historical precedent to realize the Rangers may even try to re-acquire him again at the Deadline anyway if he decides to go elsewhere, which makes going elsewhere all the more attractive.

The Rangers are clearly the ones that need to lean in this time around. And not in an overly major way either. They just can’t penny pinch over $100k again. Pay up the small bit that’s required and move on to other things.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Motte doesn’t need to take any medicine. He’s the UFA, who will likely get paid more by someone else. He’s the one with the leverage here. He also has historical precedent to realize the Rangers may even try to re-acquire him again at the Deadline anyway if he decides to go elsewhere, which makes going elsewhere all the more attractive.

The Rangers are clearly the ones that need to lean in this time around. And not in an overly major way either. They just can’t penny pinch over $100k again. Pay up the small bit that’s required and move on to other things.

The Rangers have the leverage because they can simply let him walk and not really feel the effects. Motte is a luxury not a need.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Lafreniere is getting what Chytil and Kakko got and he's going to like it. Miller's contract will start with a 4, which is already a win. Lindgren & Chytil have both taken discounts, now K'Andre will too. Cuylle and Jones will be on next years roster. Robertson & Othmann will be pushing beyond that. Goodrow still probably gets moved. Motte & Halak will both be back on the cheap imo.

The only question to me is which one of Kane or Tarasenko comes back, and how painful would it be to retain both? To win in this NHL players need to take discounts, and I think we will see a lot of our guys come in under what we think is market value. I'm very much not concerned about icing a contending roster next year when the most concerning questions are around the margins.

Final thought on Chytil is that Drury and the Rangers removed some uncertainty and made the team significantly better through the conclusion of the Panarin window. Mika-Troch-Chytil locked in down the middle for 4 years minimum. Love to see it.
Don’t see Laf in the low 2s. Chytil and Kakko had career highs of 23 points when they signed their bridges. Lafreniere will be bringing two 15+ goal, 30+pt seasons to the table. Possibly a 40 pt one this year. No matter what anyone thinks of Laf, he’s got better totals and the 1OA label. I recently read $3 million on a bridge. That seems about right to me.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

And it didn’t work out for him either. He thought he’d get a lot more. He didn’t. Ended up on a 1 year deal with Ottawa for pennys more. Not sure he makes the same mistake twice.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Don’t see Laf in the low 2s. Chytil and Kakko had career highs of 23 points when they signed their bridges. Lafreniere will be bringing two 15+ goal, 30+pt seasons to the table. Possibly a 40 pt one this year. No matter what anyone thinks of Laf, he’s got better totals and the 1OA label. I recently read $3 million on a bridge. That seems about right to me.

Let's split the difference and call it 2.5. There is a precedent on these contracts, and reason to believe the Rangers will put the squeeze on. If Laffy wants to get paid now and go to Montreal or Ottawa and lose every year, well, seeya. It would solve our LW logjam anyway because we could just slot in Cuylle or Othmann and it would give us an extra 2-3 mil to play with. I think there is a great culture here and players want to be a part of it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I was pretty sure that if we were going long term (7/8) years, we would have to start at 6. But that was also before Chytil hit that cold stretch.

Very happy with that deal. 4 is a good compromise, and gives us at least some flexibility regarding the cap. Makes negotiations with KAM and Laf much easier.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nice contract! Personally i would have liked to see more term and go 6x6 but i understand it with the cap implications.
I agree, if it were a six year deal it’s probably around $6m-per. They just can afford that. This deal is a great compromise, less AAV but it’s short enough that FC emerges as a very young RFA with tons more earning capacity.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Let's split the difference and call it 2.5. There is a precedent on these contracts, and reason to believe the Rangers will put the squeeze on. If Laffy wants to get paid now and go to Montreal or Ottawa and lose every year, well, seeya. It would solve our LW logjam anyway because we could just slot in Cuylle or Othmann and it would give us an extra 2-3 mil to play with. I think there is a great culture here and players want to be a part of it.

I thought 3 was already splitting the difference (Laf ask in the mid 3s, Rangers offer in the mid 2s), but I hope you're right. I also didn't think Kakko would sign for as little as he took so anything is possible

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
And it didn’t work out for him either. He thought he’d get a lot more. He didn’t. Ended up on a 1 year deal with Ottawa for pennys more. Not sure he makes the same mistake twice.
He got roughly 35% more than what we were willing to give. That's a huge difference for someone's livelihood.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Happy with the deal.

He needs to stay healthy though. The cycle he has is that he starts streaking, looks 1st liner great for about a month, gets injured and misses 2+ weeks, then takes about a month to start feeling it again. This has been a cycle for a while now.

I will say though he stayed healthy for the playoffs last year which is a good sign.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Could see Kane taking a Bergeron/Krejci contract. Think Miller and Laf get squeezed a little
Bergeron and Krejci both got contracts that include performance bonuses. Kane isn't eligible for that type of contract, as he doesn't turn 35 until November. If he were turning 35 prior to July 1st, he'd be eligible.

In any case, it's not exactly a great idea. It's working out for Boston now, but next year those performance bonus payments will come due. And with Pasta's new deal, they are facing a significant cap crunch. They are projected to have about 9.7 mil in cap space, but that's not accounting for the performance bonuses they will have to pay out of that. They are projected to have $39,504 in cap space at the end of the year. The bonuses for Bergeron and Krejci are 4.5 mil. The remainder will roll over to 23-24.

Lauko ($82,500) and Swayman (150k) both have bonuses as well, but no idea if those will be earned.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I love this signing.

In 2 years, you can start to consider moving Trocheck, or as early as next year, sliding him down the roster. Just fantastic value and a perfect time/length for Chytil. He’ll be 27 at contracts end, and the team can either move on or lock him in for age 27-33 if he’s earned it. I think this is probably anywhere from $1M-$1.8M below market value.

I do agree there is a chance Goodrow is moved to try to sign Tarasenko and/or Kane. Only hope for both is if both take massive discounts. Could see Kane taking a Bergeron/Krejci contract. Think Miller and Laf get squeezed a little
I hate to break it to you, but they didn't sign Trocheck to 7 years to move him after year 1. Especially with his production. He will be here through our current window. There is a better chance of us somehow obtaining Bedard than there is of Trocheck being moved before year 5 of his deal.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I hate to break it to you, but they didn't sign Trocheck to 7 years to move him after year 1. Especially with his production. He will be here through our current window. There is a better chance of us somehow obtaining Bedard than there is of Trocheck being moved before year 5 of his deal.
Trocheck wont be moved immediately but I do think he's a 3rd liner next season.
Him and kreider.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
At the end of this contract, Chytil will have played nine seasons on the Rangers.
I actually think Trocheck's contract is designed to be moved after the signing bonus is paid in either 2025 or 2026. In 2025, it'll be four years of contract remaining for 18.5 of real cash, and the NMC is gone. 2026 would be 12.5/3.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Rangers have the leverage because they can simply let him walk and not really feel the effects. Motte is a luxury not a need.
Yes, Motte is a LUXURY, but we NEED him. 100G's isn't gonna hurt in any way. Make your "smaller" players a little happy, take away from the already super rich and established that WANT the Rangers because of NY and the possibility/probability of winning another cup. Just saying. I have every faith in Drury, seems like he knows what the priorities are, and signing Filip (to THAT?) makes me giddy.
Thrilled both parties are happy, losing him at any point would crush me.
When he's 27, he will get PAID. This money makes him smile much larger.

Reactions: McRanger92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad