Confirmed with Link: Filip Chytil Extended 4 Years $4.4375M AAV

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Yes that’s another thing. How many contenders will be able to afford them? They seem to like it here, especially Tarasenko who is acting like captain material, may as well stay here for another year until the salary cap works itself out.

There will always be a team that will throw a bag at a top UFA talent. I can see Buffalo going hard after Kane. Carolina and NJ have tons of money available next year.

That said, the only thing we'd have going for us in signing a big player to a cheap 1 year deal is the cap is supposed to shoot up the following year so they might gamble on having a lot more teams able to pursue them the following year.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Miller - 4 x 3

Lafreniere - 2.5 x 2

Jones - 800k x 2

Kane - 5 x 1

Goodrow traded

Mikkola walks

Tarasenko walks

Cuylle up

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
League minimum full ins
We need to see what the bonus overage is, and I think both Miller and Laf could get a bit more. The math probably won't work.

1680208761320.png

Even if the money works, do we really want league minimum players like Brodz, Lesch and Domingue? And why would Kane take 1 year at 5 mil?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
They will have money, Carlson is back and Ovechkin is a big draw for Russian players. They re close enough. The big time contenders have little or no money. He’ll probably end up with a second tier contender
just dont see them as contenders at all for the next few years. backstrom and ovechkin are only getting older. carlson is 33 now. their core aged out of contender status. theyre 12th in the east right now and their good players are on the wrong side of 30.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
just dont see them as contenders at all for the next few years. backstrom and ovechkin are only getting older. carlson is 33 now. their core aged out of contender status. theyre 12th in the east right now and their good players are on the wrong side of 30.
Boston is an example of a team that while assumed aged out of contention window could have a last (unexpected) run in them if they make smart roster moves.

Reactions: bobbop

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Boston is an example of a team that while assumed aged out of contention window could have a last (unexpected) run in them if they make smart roster moves.
boston's older players are great still, have a franchise dman in his prime, and a superstar winger in his prime. washington doesnt have anywhere close to that, which is why they are as close to last in the standings in the east than they are to 8th.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
boston's older players are great still, have a franchise dman in his prime, and a superstar winger in his prime. washington doesnt have anywhere close to that, which is why they are as close to last in the standings in the east than they are to 8th.
Fine, you win.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think we get used to seeing certain teams as "cream of the crop" for so long we just assume it'll keep rolling but Washington is 100% on a downswing. I dont' think they're gonna bottom out in lottery territory but they're not contenders and signing Kane or someone won't change that. Maybe would help Ovechkin keep socking dingers but whatever

Reactions: ecemleafs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Those are all RFA years. UFA years are the more expensive.
I know, I still think he is going to be able to get more, i'm thinking he gets closer to 4.5-4.75.

If he gets 5 years(and starts buying into UFA), then 5M, 5.4M for 6 years , 5.8M for 7 years , 6.2M for 8.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I know, I still think he is going to be able to get more, i'm thinking he gets closer to 4.5-4.75.

If he gets 5 years(and starts buying into UFA), then 5M, 5.4M for 6 years , 5.8M for 7 years , 6.2M for 8.
I mean Im not sure we can swing that unless we move goodrow, but 6.2 for 8 would likely be a steal in years 3-8 of that deal.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think we get used to seeing certain teams as "cream of the crop" for so long we just assume it'll keep rolling but Washington is 100% on a downswing. I dont' think they're gonna bottom out in lottery territory but they're not contenders and signing Kane or someone won't change that. Maybe would help Ovechkin keep socking dingers but whatever

I think they care more about Ovechkin getting the record than they do winning at this point

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don't think Kane wants to play in Buffalo and the closest teams to where his dad lives are:
NYR
NYI
Buffalo
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Columbus

Out of those teams, it would appear as though the Rangers are the best fit in terms of opportunity to win and proximity to his family. It's also a big city which he appears to desire. I think Kane is here for a while.
Kane wanted to be here so very badly, nearly was in tears when we signed Tank, right? Wanted to be reunite with Bread, right? Why would he want to leave, AFTER getting what he wanted?
Also would like to add (and I could be wrong) that "some people" dig their skates in and don't want to move around. He was in one city for what? 16 years? THIS was a big move to begin with, he's a big city boy, NY is perfect for him. He's staying, providing the Rangers want him. Being on LTIR works perfectly for Rangers as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I gotta think a 23 year old defenseman, playing 22 minutes and scoring 40 points is going to get more than 4 mill.

That's the Dobson contract. I don't think he gets much more than that

We need to see what the bonus overage is, and I think both Miller and Laf could get a bit more. The math probably won't work.

View attachment 678622

Even if the money works, do we really want league minimum players like Brodz, Lesch and Domingue? And why would Kane take 1 year at 5 mil?

I think it's more likely Kane takes a 3-4 year deal for a lower cap hit. I think he wants to compete and win and I don't see him wanting to just bounce around. 4 year deal for $4m per season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad