Fighting numbers way down this season

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Would rather watch a 2 huge goons chuck em then some random fast skating midget 4th liner dump the puck in or poke check. Yeah winning is important, but for the price you pay to attend a game or buy NHL center ice, I better be entertained. Poke checks while the safe hockey play, are not entertaining to watch, big hits are. Sure the butterfly is effective, a Thomas or Hasek high risk goalie is a hella lot more fun to watch than some 6-4 bloke who plays exactly the same as the other teams 6-6 bloke.

The guy throwing dirty hits, causing the other team to be pissed.

You dont find NHL highlights, of poke checks and dudes screaming OMG that guys positioning is unreal. Did you see how high Panik dumped that puck, my god its going to 100 million views on youtube. No its hits, goals, bloopers. and fights that get people to watch the game.

Last edited:

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Yeah winning is important

Yeah, actually is kinda the whole point of the thing...

I am quite sure that winning is considered a little bit more important than any other possible bear-hugginf deer antlers-fighting you may enjoy watching on an ice surface.

Do you know what is incredibli annoying and not entertaining for the vast majority of the sports fan out there? Watching a team losing all the matches.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
You're welcome man. It's a classic go-to by the anti-fighting crowd! "WE HATE FIGHTING, YOU GUYS SHOULD GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE!!"
On this matter I am with you.

I do not want to watch fights, and I hope that will disappear soon.

You like to watch hockey fights and don't want those to be taken away from you.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
This is a thread about fighting, not about hitting, nor about eliminating concussions from the game altogether. If you want to talk about those things you should probably start a different thread.
Nope, my post was about fighting. And the fact softies like you think it's so bad for the game and dangerous etc. when there are so many more injuries from violent hits and head shots. Hypocrite. If you want no contact at all go watch the Euro league, cause that is where the NHL is headed with fans like you.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Would rather watch a 2 huge goons chuck em then some random fast skating midget 4th liner dump the puck in or poke check. Yeah winning is important, but for the price you pay to attend a game or buy NHL center ice, I better be entertained. Poke checks while the safe hockey play, are not entertaining to watch, big hits are. Sure the butterfly is effective, a Thomas or Hasek high risk goalie is a hella lot more fun to watch than some 6-4 bloke who plays exactly the same as the other teams 6-6 bloke.

The guy throwing dirty hits, causing the other team to be pissed.

You dont find NHL highlights, of poke checks and dudes screaming OMG that guys positioning is unreal. Did you see how high Panik dumped that puck, my god its going to 100 million views on youtube. No its hits, goals, bloopers. and fights that get people to watch the game.

That's fine as long as you appreciate the chain of events that this sets in motion.

There is a player in the ECHL on this very day, at this moment preparing for a game in which he knows he will have to fight. He might have had 50 fights in junor, another 80 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL, that's the ones you paid big bucks to see, and he is building up to another 100 in the ECHL. He is 35, has no education and he gets paid $4000 a month. He didn't grow up dreaming about playing in the ECHL. He dreamed of being an NHLer. You wanted to see a couple of guys punch each other, you were prepared to pay for it and he jumped on the opportunity.

He might get home tonight, perked up on pain killers, slap his wife around a bit for no reason that he himself can understand and spend the rest of the night sitting in an empty silent dark room. He might have trouble stringing two thoughts together and one of those thoughts is how much better off everyone would be if he just shot himself in the head.

You are partially responsible for this. You are entitled to get your money's worth of entertainment but I hope you appreciate all the lives that your choice impacts.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
I'd like all you muscle flexing fighting advocates to tell me how do you explain hockey fighting to their kids and then turn around and ask them not to fight with their siblings/at recess/etc.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I'd like all you muscle flexing fighting advocates to tell me how do you explain hockey fighting to their kids and then turn around and ask them not to fight with their siblings/at recess/etc.

Uhhh, that is pretty easy. This is like how do you let you kid watch Rocky and not expect them to go throwing fists with everyone on the playground.

At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions or the actions of those in your care. If you say "susy can't watch hockey because she might then go fight someone" you are going down the route of a slippery slope fallacy.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Uhhh, that is pretty easy. This is like how do you let you kid watch Rocky and not expect them to go throwing fists with everyone on the playground.

At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions or the actions of those in your care. If you say "susy can't watch hockey because she might then go fight someone" you are going down the route of a slippery slope fallacy.
Yeah that's not what I said and you're avoiding the question altogether. How do you explain it to them?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Yeah that's not what I said and you're avoiding the question altogether. How do you explain it to them?

Uhh, that is something that happens a professional sport/intense hockey game and not something you just go around doing to other random people. If I saw two kids joking around at my hockey practice doing it I wouldn't be mad.

I watched hockey/boxing did both and judo growing up and never went around beating people up because I saw it on "da TV". I don't think I needed any one to tell me that was wrong or explain why it was happening, if they did it was "well that's pro hockey". I think you are just going down a "think of the children" slippery slope fallacy and its not worth discussing anymore.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It doesn't have to be. Some of the best defense is quick stick work and positioning like Scott Niedermayer hockey.

A significant amount of fights are caused by hitting. Why not remove both since hitting causes 95% of concussions and fighting 5%?

Because hitting isn't a penalty in the game and fighting isn't.

As for your very precise and I'm sure attributed percentages: A higher percentage of people are injured in the bathtubs than by grenade launchers. Therefor we should either legalize the carrying of grenade launchers or outlaw bathtubs.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Ignoring your deflections here, I think it essentially boils down to do you think fighting is a valid way to settle a conflict in an already policed environment. I think it shouldn't be, I know many think otherwise.
Also you're in for a surprise if you think your kids will take "that's the way it is" for an answer :laugh:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Think I'll take the opinions of actual NHLers (who want fighting to stay in hockey) over you are your beer leaguers. Thanks.
Actual NHL players would like to outlaw the draft, get rid of the salary cap, have unlimited free agency after the 1st contract expires, and have fewer games.

Good to know that you are for all of these too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No they didn't. According to one anti fighting poster in here, it would be better if a player would go up to them and try to reason with them, and get them to explain themselves.
People punched Matt Cooke. Matt Cooke still gave dirty hits. So much for fights being needed to stop dirty hits.,

It's a myth because people don't want to say that they just like to watch other people punch each other in the face. I give you credit, because you do say it, but let go of the deterrent thing. It just doesn't exist.

Reactions: Playerwinner

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So according to you the number of fights would go up when all the goon vs goon stage fights are removed? Outstanding logic.

Derek Boogaard

That's Boogaard, a supposedly scary goon. I counted 35 fights(10 9 9 7) in his last 4 years and I'm not sure he had one that wasn't against the other teams designated goon. When smart coaches stopped bothering to dress a goon and players started ignoring these guys and they ceased to have any purpose other than make their teams worse whenever they were allowed on the ice by their coaches, which soon became never because their coach would rather ice and hockey player than play a man down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I loved fighting when it was in the game. But those days seem to be over. The only way it makes a comeback is if the NHL takes the instigator rule out. I thought the game was better when intimidation was part of it. In the days of Probert, Domi, and power fwds as in Clark, Toccett, and Neely ruled the day. Just added an unique element to the sport that no other had. Sure miss those days.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
That's fine as long as you appreciate the chain of events that this sets in motion.
He dreamed of being an NHLer. You wanted to see a couple of guys punch each other, you were prepared to pay for it and he jumped on the opportunity.

He might get home tonight, perked up on pain killers, slap his wife around a bit for no reason that he himself can understand and spend the rest of the night sitting in an empty silent dark room. He might have trouble stringing two thoughts together and one of those thoughts is how much better off everyone would be if he just shot himself in the head.

You are partially responsible for this. You are entitled to get your money's worth of entertainment but I hope you appreciate all the lives that your choice impacts.

I don't think hockey is for you then if this is how you think. It's people like you who are ruining the very foundations and traditions of the sport I grew up watching. Stick to non contact sports like golf or tennis instead of complaining and making up b.s. stories then spinning the blame on us fans.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Meh, no big loss. Hockey fights more often than not are pretty lame and I'll gladly sacrifice minor entertainment value for the long-term health of the players.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Derek Boogaard

That's Boogaard, a supposedly scary goon. I counted 35 fights(10 9 9 7) in his last 4 years and I'm not sure he had one that wasn't against the other teams designated goon. When smart coaches stopped bothering to dress a goon and players started ignoring these guys and they ceased to have any purpose other than make their teams worse whenever they were allowed on the ice by their coaches, which soon became never because their coach would rather ice and hockey player than play a man down.
The scary thing about Boogard is the number of fights he had in junior. Over 100 fights as a teenager. I think the concussions suffered in junior, when the brain is still developing are more traumatic than brain injuries as an adult. We always hear about the old NHLers that have brain trauma, but what about the kids who scrambled their brains in junior without having the chance to cash in. Has their been a study showing what happened to junior goons?

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

There is a player in the ECHL on this very day, at this moment preparing for a game in which he knows he will have to fight. He might have had 50 fights in junor, another 80 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL, that's the ones you paid big bucks to see, and he is building up to another 100 in the ECHL. He is 35, has no education and he gets paid $4000 a month. He didn't grow up dreaming about playing in the ECHL. He dreamed of being an NHLer. You wanted to see a couple of guys punch each other, you were prepared to pay for it and he jumped on the opportunity.

Alright now tell me about those semipros hockey player that choose to play in those leagues ONLY because they love to fights? Remember these guys already have jobs, they make like 200$ a game but they don't care because they play only for the love of fighting.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
People punched Matt Cooke. Matt Cooke still gave dirty hits. So much for fights being needed to stop dirty hits.,

It's a myth because people don't want to say that they just like to watch other people punch each other in the face. I give you credit, because you do say it, but let go of the deterrent thing. It just doesn't exist.
You hate anything physical, so I’m not surprised on your stance here.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You hate anything physical, so I’m not surprised on your stance here.
Interesting that you define "anything physical" as only being fighting. Pretty limited view, but I'm not surprised by your stance here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad