OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
That Durmaz guy who gave away the needless free kick which the Germans scored from......Mr Popular in the dressing room and his whole country about now.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Damn! That was close. Now we need to beat Mexico with 2-0 and we will go through. Of course if Germany drops a point to Korea (Korea need to play good or they will have toffees thrown at them at the airport when they get home) and Sweden beat Mexico with 1 goal we will also go through.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Another option could be that Croatia lose to Iceland on purpose since they have already won the group with 6 points and since they already won against Nigeria and they might not want Argentina to go though in case Argentina find their form in the latter stages. I am old enough to remember the 1982 WC where Germany were piss poor in the group stages and barely got out of their group drawing with Austria in an infamous last group game where both teams stopped playing early in the second half when it was 1-1 and both teams went through and I believe it was Algeria that lost out. Germany picked up their play in the rest of the tournament and lost to Italy in the final. Since Croatia already have won the group and might prefer to have at least on paper a not so good team like Iceland go to the next stage in case Messi and company start playing better?

I considered that when I wrote "how motivated are they going to be?" I expect not very. And, yes, I know of that infamous game.

I believe that was the game that forced Fifa to schedule the 3rd games of each group at the same time, so that results cannot be known among the competitors until the game is completed.

I expect it doesn't matter. Argentina has been horrible and I expect Nigeria to win. Iceland would need that game to be a draw then beat Croatia 3-0 to get through on goal differential.

That was a tough loss for Sweden today.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
England really taking it to Panama.....JOHN Stones with 2 goals.....the guy looks like a Peeky Blinder :laugh:

Edit: it’s now 5-Nil in the 1st half

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I considered that when I wrote "how motivated are they going to be?" I expect not very. And, yes, I know of that infamous game.

I believe that was the game that forced Fifa to schedule the 3rd games of each group at the same time, so that results cannot be known among the competitors until the game is completed.

I expect it doesn't matter. Argentina has been horrible and I expect Nigeria to win. Iceland would need that game to be a draw then beat Croatia 3-0 to get through on goal differential.

That was a tough loss for Sweden today.

Yes, Germany were better but we should have had a penalty and maybe even 2. Somebody posted here about the guy who caused the free kick that he would be the most hated person in Sweden and yes, he has received nasty racist social media postings and even death threats! The Swedish team took a photo with everyone having their arms wrapped around each other condemning the social media postings.

Reactions: groovejuice

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've always enjoyed Columbian Football. They typically play with confidence, and flare. There's something about this nation.

Here is their old's keeper's idea of a save.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I've always enjoyed Columbian Football. They typically play with confidence, and flare. There's something about this nation.

Here is their old's keeper's idea of a save.

I'm like you. Liked that team since the 'hairdo' of Valderrama. I like their type of football. Happy to see Carlos in the stands (with your scorpion-kick goalie, btw).

Happy they took it to this very bland polish team.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I thought Poland would provide a much greater effort. Disappointing match.

There are some nice looking Polish girls among the fans, I am sure Jaffy has noticed! You are right, really bad by Poland, I expected them coming out like whirling dervishes but instead they came out like Polish jokes. The step is not that far to Turkey, Poland has one of the worst governments in Europe, similar to Erdogan's Turkey. Autocratic, theocratic and pathetic!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm like you. Liked that team since the 'hairdo' of Valderrama. I like their type of football. Happy to see Carlos in the stands (with your scorpion-kick goalie, btw).

Happy they took it to this very bland polish team.

Remember when Colombia lost to the US in 94 and the defender (own goal) was killed when he went back? I agree, I have always liked them since the Valderama and Higuita days.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Remember when Colombia lost to the US in 94 and the defender (own goal) was killed when he went back? I agree, I have always liked them since the Valderama and Higuita days.

There's a great documentary that talks about this incident. It ties in the whole Columbian drug war into the story.

I think its called "The two Escobars" or soemthing like that. I highly recommend it.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, Andres Escobar. Many debates regarding the reason why he was killed. Locals said that if Pablo had been alive, it would never have happened. Pablo was in love with the team. The ESPN documentary on the subject is fascinating. One of the good ones done by ESPN.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
People on TV complain about Poland, but really, Colombia was dominant technically. I mean, they have good individual players. Such more talented than the polish side.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There's a great documentary that talks about this incident. It ties in the whole Columbian drug war into the story.

I think its called "The two Escobars" or soemthing like that. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I have heard about it. I should be able to find it online.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There are some nice looking Polish girls among the fans, I am sure Jaffy has noticed! You are right, really bad by Poland, I expected them coming out like whirling dervishes but instead they came out like Polish jokes. The step is not that far to Turkey, Poland has one of the worst governments in Europe, similar to Erdogan's Turkey. Autocratic, theocratic and pathetic!

Reminiscent of a hockey club I know...
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad