OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Forget VAR. The defining moment of the world cup so far was Maradona's passionate 2nd goal celebration.

Love it love it love it! Who needs franchises and "markets" when you can have proper, undiluted tribalism?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If Argentina beats France they could end up playing Portugal.

A France who has been underwhelming so far, best team on paper, pretty average play so far. Of course they could wake up like they did in 2006 in the later stages, if that happens then Argentina won't have a chance. If they play like they have so far, my money would be on Argentina.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Double flipping there. :) He's 57 years old, I doubt he'll hit 65 given how he looks. To me he's still the best player ever at his peak. Brought the Scudetto to Napoli, the first since 1927 I believe. Dragged a fairly average Argentinian team to WC victory in 1986.

Right on both counts, I think Per. Messi and Ronaldo, while the best at this time, aren't in the same league as prime Maradona. Especially given the leeway defenders had to kick lumps out of attacking players in Diego's day. I'm English and have no problem saying that Maradona's 2nd goal in the infamous "Hand Of God" game was the most sublime individual brilliance I've ever seen in the sport.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, Argentina goes through. Iceland loses & Nigeria couldn't keep it a draw.

Maradona looked high as f*** today.

France is such a boring team right now; yet so much talent, how are they not scoring?

They should beat Argentina easily & yet may not the way they're showing.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well, Argentina goes through. Iceland loses & Nigeria couldn't keep it a draw.

Maradona looked high as **** today.

France is such a boring team right now; yet so much talent, how are they not scoring?

They should beat Argentina easily & yet may not the way they're showing.

France is really disappointing! So much talent on that roster, crazy!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
it was a meaningless match for France, they made changes to their starting lineup and took it easy. hope they give Arhentina a big spanking Saturday.

They didn't look impressive in their other matches either... I had them as favorites going into the tournament... They can still open the valves at one point but it's unimpressive for the moment.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
As an Argentina Fan the lineup choices are painful. 1) why the hell would you do a 4-4-2 when your strength is in attack ? 4-3-3 makes more sense. 2) why the hell is Higuain starting over Aguero, Dybala ?
My front 3 would be Aguero-Dybala-Messi. Also put in Lo Celso over Perez.

I will never forgive Higuain for that miss in the 2014 final. Bench his ass

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Messi with the over-dramatics in celebration lol...a goal vs nigeria in round robin..

The difference between having a shot at your first world cup and going without the trophy for your career likely. It was called for. Maradona's prayers and what not though was super bizarre.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Right on both counts, I think Per. Messi and Ronaldo, while the best at this time, aren't in the same league as prime Maradona. Especially given the leeway defenders had to kick lumps out of attacking players in Diego's day. I'm English and have no problem saying that Maradona's 2nd goal in the infamous "Hand Of God" game was the most sublime individual brilliance I've ever seen in the sport.

I have one of those highlights DVDs about Maradona and they interview some players that played against him. For instance Michel Platini who was a great player, probably the best European player at that time said: "What I could do with a football, Maradona could do with an orange." And we shouldn't forget that this was the time of players like Gentile and other famous really tough defensive players who would be sent off within 10 minutes in today's football.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They didn't look impressive in their other matches either... I had them as favorites going into the tournament... They can still open the valves at one point but it's unimpressive for the moment.

Going back to the zidane era, I don't think talent has ever really been the issue over there.

In this style of tournament, you also need some luck, among other things to go your way. France aren't the only talented team out there that's looking to get better as the tournament goes on.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
A France who has been underwhelming so far, best team on paper, pretty average play so far. Of course they could wake up like they did in 2006 in the later stages, if that happens then Argentina won't have a chance. If they play like they have so far, my money would be on Argentina.

Argentina has been sucking even worse. France 3-1.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Argentina has been sucking even worse. France 3-1.

I hope that France win but you never know with France. France made me quit smoking in 98. I used to smoke about 60 a day, then in the final I did run out of cigarettes during half time but I was so enthralled by they way France played that I didn't want to miss anything, so I didn't smoke for about an hour. Then I said to myself I wonder how long I can go on without a smoke. That's it and I had tried with nicotine chewing gum, arm patches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad