OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, if Argentina wishes to advance then they need a win against Nigeria next game while Iceland draws or loses to Croatia, which is definitely do-able by Croatia. They're already through so how motivated are they going to be though?

There's 2 ways Iceland can still go through. If Nigeria & Argentina draw then Iceland needs to beat Croatia by 3 goals otherwise Nigeria is through based on goal differential. Not likely.

Their best bet is for an Argentinian win by 1 goal, while they beat Croatia. Then they get through on points and goal differential.

Group B and E are also very tight.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Crazy to think that Barco of Atlanta was considered as a replacement to the injured Lanzini. Why I'm saying this? Because Argentina could've done better by selecting more young players instead of the same chokers over and over again. After the World Cup it's goodbye to Aguero, Higuain, di Maria, Otamendi, Mascherano and Messi. They gave Messi too much power. Time for Icardi, Dybala, Lautaro Martinez, Barco, German Conti etc. This is Italy 2010 all over again. Higuain gotta lose weight too, he's only good for his club.

Was surprised to see Nigeria beating Iceland. After Group H, this is the most thrilling group. I originally picked Argentina & Croatia, to Croatia & Iceland but now I pick Croatia & Nigeria. Nigeria will destroy Argentina, it won't be pretty.

Can't wait for Sweden - Germany tomorrow.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Well, if Argentina wishes to advance then they need a win against Nigeria next game while Iceland draws or loses to Croatia, which is definitely do-able by Croatia. They're already through so how motivated are they going to be though?

There's 2 ways Iceland can still go through. If Nigeria & Argentina draw then Iceland needs to beat Croatia by 3 goals otherwise Nigeria is through based on goal differential. Not likely.

Their best bet is for an Argentinian win by 1 goal, while they beat Croatia. Then they get through on points and goal differential.

Yeh but for Argentina to even think about beating Nigeria they should first know how to score, which they can't. It doesn't matter much but Argentina lost 2-4 against Nigeria a couple of months in a friendly and they always choke in big moments (let's not forget it's Messi who qualified Argentina in an indivudal majestic performance). If Nigeria can close down Messi, it's over. Initially, I picked Nigeria to be the last in their group but now I'm going for Argentina. Pathetic.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
OMG what a game between Costa Rica & Brazil, so much ****ing drama and the ref was having none of it.

Over-turning the penalty was the right thing to do. Neymar dove. Then the time wasting by CR. I could feel Neymar's anger & frustration through the screen.

He needs to cool the diving and *****ing and just play. He did fight through it and get his goal.

A very inconsistent performance by Brazil. At times they dominated. At times they looked a mess.

They missed a lot of quality chances too.

They got their 3 pts.

Uhh there's only one CR bud and he dont play fo Brazeel.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
They just won the Euros...they are definitely a top team.
Not taking away anything from them, but tbh based on the quality of teams at that Euro, it was more a matter of luck than talent.

Greece won the Euro in 2004 and didn't even qualify in 2006. Just like Chile won the Copa America (2x) and didn't qualify.

Portugal got dominated by Morocco in possession.... I see Iran beating Portugal. Even if they manage to win over Iran, they will face Russia in R16. Lol

Just like Argentina with Messi if you take out Ronaldo,you have an average team barely able to qualify on paper.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Not taking away anything from them, but tbh based on the quality of the teams at that Euro, it was more a matter of luck than talent.

Greece won the Euro in 2004 and didn't even qualify in 2006.

They got dominated by Morocco.... I see Iran beating Portugal.

Okay, but Portugal has a long history of competing against top teams, Greece doesn't really. So no, I wouldn't say it's a fluke by any means. I don't think Portugal is in the Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, France, ect. echelon, but it is certainly a top team and absolutely a contender to win it all this year.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Okay, but Portugal has a long history of competing against top teams, Greece doesn't really. So no, I wouldn't say it's a fluke by any means. I don't think Portugal is in the Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, France, ect. echelon, but it is certainly a top team and absolutely a contender to win it all this year.

Well just different opinions then. Ppl are just blinded because of CR7. To me, Portugal is no match to the Croatias, Switzerlands, Denmark, Belgium, Russia and that's just in Europe. And Before Luis Figo, Portugal weren't even able to qualify. After Eusebio, there was a big crisis.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeh but for Argentina to even think about beating Nigeria they should first know how to score, which they can't. It doesn't matter much but Argentina lost 2-4 against Nigeria a couple of months in a friendly and they always choke in big moments (let's not forget it's Messi who qualified Argentina in an indivudal majestic performance). If Nigeria can close down Messi, it's over. Initially, I picked Nigeria to be the last in their group but now I'm going for Argentina. Pathetic.

I don't actually expect Argentina to win. Nigeria has a very high probability of going through.

But, it's not a nothing game either. I like it when the 3rd game is meaningful. Argentina has an opportunity to choke or go through.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Would not be surprised at all to see Belgium win this whole thing.
They were my pick from the get go. I want Switzerland to win, but Belgium was my choice.

I'm 100% okay with Portugal winning too since Ronaldo was my original favourite player when I knew nothing about soccer. And my Wolves own Rui Patricio.

My favourite player in the world plays for Mexico, so I'm okay with them too.

Reactions: lo striver

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Sign of the Apocalypse.
:laugh::laugh:Hey man, it had to be said. Boyata is terrible. If they play with 4 defenders against stronger sides I wouldn't be as worried.

Tap in Batshuayi could've been top scorer after this game... if he knew how to shoot. I'm wondering how many goals Lukaku would've had if he stayed on :laugh:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Another option could be that Croatia lose to Iceland on purpose since they have already won the group with 6 points and since they already won against Nigeria and they might not want Argentina to go though in case Argentina find their form in the latter stages. I am old enough to remember the 1982 WC where Germany were piss poor in the group stages and barely got out of their group drawing with Austria in an infamous last group game where both teams stopped playing early in the second half when it was 1-1 and both teams went through and I believe it was Algeria that lost out. Germany picked up their play in the rest of the tournament and lost to Italy in the final. Since Croatia already have won the group and might prefer to have at least on paper a not so good team like Iceland go to the next stage in case Messi and company start playing better?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Since their goal, the Germans have completely controlled the play.

Sweden will happily take a draw here as all they need is a draw vs Mexico. Mexico would be fine with a draw vs Sweden too as that guarantees 1st place. This is almost a must win for Germans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad