FIFA / FM Thread

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Did they make any chances to career mode for this year or should I save myself the money?

They did essentially nothing other than add the CL and Europa leagues, and some other licensed things. The small things they did do were made it so academy players can have strength trained and when you win trophies your budget will increase more. These are 2 solid touches that are wanted and needed, but its essentially nothing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They did essentially nothing other than add the CL and Europa leagues, and some other licensed things. The small things they did do were made it so academy players can have strength trained and when you win trophies your budget will increase more. These are 2 solid touches that are wanted and needed, but its essentially nothing.

Speed too besides strength? It's a nice touch but it's so hard to get these kids good enough to be first team quality, they either want to sign when they aren't ready or you need to focus all your training on one kid. I'll wait for a sale before buying it again looks like.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
They are small minor improvements that are positive, but the core of the mode are the same which is annoying. The youth academy stuff needs a complete overhaul

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have EA access so I have a free 10 hour trial so luckily I can base my decision on that. Chances are low I buy it this year though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'll be only buying those games once they are been selling at a good discount in the psn +. Got the NHL 18 for 70% off and won't buy the 19 until the same happens. It's the same game but new rosters, pretty ****ty.

NHL19 is really different. Not that I recommend it. They tried to cut back on the effectiveness of poke checks, but now it's just a penalty every time. The goalies are much better.

I don't know why I bother. I really only play FIFA and NHL online, with friends on club teams. We could easily play NHL18 for another year. Same with FIFA.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
NHL19 is really different. Not that I recommend it. They tried to cut back on the effectiveness of poke checks, but now it's just a penalty every time. The goalies are much better.

I don't know why I bother. I really only play FIFA and NHL online, with friends on club teams. We could easily play NHL18 for another year. Same with FIFA.

Didn't play it, but judging by youtube videos, it looks like every single player skates like McDavid which is absurd. About FIFA19, played the demo and really enjoyed the game. Gonna buy it on the Black Friday.

Sep 19, 2008
I recently got Origin Premier and FIFA 19 is included, it is coming out 10 days early (aka Today). Has anyone else tried it yet?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
This will be the first year I won't be buying FIFA points. Hoping to get that Prime Baggio card and also Prime Vieri by the end of the year.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Didn't play it, but judging by youtube videos, it looks like every single player skates like McDavid which is absurd. About FIFA19, played the demo and really enjoyed the game. Gonna buy it on the Black Friday.

3s is fun. The ice is open so it's a fun, fast open game. It has its flaws, and it's not really better than last year but it's fun.

6s is a mess. It feels like too many guys on the ice. When you full squads on each team in EASHL, it's just a mosh pit of clutter. It feels worse than last year b/c you can't poke check or use your stick to block passing lanes without tripping someone. So everyone is just trying to hit.

If you play a couple 3s on EASHL, and then go with 6s full squad it feels unplayable.

Reactions: John Pedro

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really wish United played as well as I play with them in FIFA. That would make for much more entertaining games and better results

I haven't played FIFA games that much to know about tweaking tactics etc but on the FIFA 19 demo, I tried putting Fellaini on for Fred and switching him Matic and surprisingly, it seems to work. :laugh: Fred is rather useless in the game. At least so far. I play these games so little that I have to use semi-assisted on some things. The one thing that really annoys me in the demo/game engine is that players look like they're sliding on ice too often, when they're locked in on a certain animation. I don't recall PES looking like that on recent demos.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I haven't played FIFA games that much to know about tweaking tactics etc but on the FIFA 19 demo, I tried putting Fellaini on for Fred and switching him Matic and surprisingly, it seems to work. :laugh: Fred is rather useless in the game. At least so far. I play these games so little that I have to use semi-assisted on some things. The one thing that really annoys me in the demo/game engine is that players look like they're sliding on ice too often, when they're locked in on a certain animation. I don't recall PES looking like that on recent demos.
I haven’t played the demo but my midfield gets so many goals. Basically my strategy is to get it up through my wingers and fullbacks and then get it inside where either my striker or my mids put it on. Pogba, Fred, Lukaku, and Matic all finished with over 15 goals for the last season I did. No one else on my team had more than 5 and I bought Fekir to play out wide right.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I haven’t played the demo but my midfield gets so many goals. Basically my strategy is to get it up through my wingers and fullbacks and then get it inside where either my striker or my mids put it on. Pogba, Fred, Lukaku, and Matic all finished with over 15 goals for the last season I did. No one else on my team had more than 5 and I bought Fekir to play out wide right.

On the demo, I think i was playing at semi-pro level, I beat Juve 5-1 with Lukaku getting 2+2 and a 10.0 rating. :laugh: Ronaldo of course scored the Juve goal, brilliant volley from a long cross. Not sure if it's because I've been playing against PSG lately but I've gotten mostly 0-0 draws and passing percentage keeps dropping all the time.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
On the demo, I think i was playing at semi-pro level, I beat Juve 5-1 with Lukaku getting 2+2 and a 10.0 rating. :laugh: Ronaldo of course scored the Juve goal, brilliant volley from a long cross. Not sure if it's because I've been playing against PSG lately but I've gotten mostly 0-0 draws and passing percentage keeps dropping all the time.
Yeah in 18 if you just move it fast then they won’t do much. I have a lot of one touch or two touch passing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
They are small minor improvements that are positive, but the core of the mode are the same which is annoying. The youth academy stuff needs a complete overhaul

They have that new Community Career mode group brainstorming and implementing ideas for FIFA 20, so hopefully for the next game there are a couple of things overhauled and a lot of new features for Career mode

Sep 19, 2008
It takes time to get used to. Is that damn shooting meter here to stay or what? Damn that is distracting (played the intro game only)

Also my right stick doesn't seem to be able to pull off mad skill movez anymore. That being said, the presentation seems slick. Sad to hear Tyler go but Derek Rae and Lee Dixon are a good combo. I like the fan touch after scoring, you see fans start screaming at the camera...and the celebrations seem simpler so you can just pull off a "signature" celebration. Will play more later

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Fifa 19 is the year of the targetman. I've got Prime Van Basten and 86 Vieri and they're banging in 5+ goals a game in Div 4 Rivals.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Fifa 19 is the year of the targetman. I've got Prime Van Basten and 86 Vieri and they're banging in 5+ goals a game in Div 4 Rivals.
Yeah 18 was all about false 9s for me. I always had Dybala, Fekir, Pogba, etc playing as false 9s and they just dominated. I had one season where Dybala scored 40 goals in the PL alone.

Update: it has now downloaded. Keepers suck on this game. I just scored from the halfway line with Dalot...

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yeah 18 was all about false 9s for me. I always had Dybala, Fekir, Pogba, etc playing as false 9s and they just dominated. I had one season where Dybala scored 40 goals in the PL alone.

Update: it has now downloaded. Keepers suck on this game. I just scored from the halfway line with Dalot...
They don't seem to be as effective this year. I had 91 Baggio and played him as a CF in a 4411 and he wasn't as effective as he should have been for a 1mil coin player.

I've been having a ton of success using 3142 so far.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
First time in 12 years I'm not buying on day 1. Hoping Career mode gets a better look this coming year. Will likely buy on boxing day.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I read that the new perfect timing shot (two button taps, one for power one for timing) is like an automatic goal and needs to be nerfed.

I always like to make cheap, small clubs by selling off all my players in career manager mode and then investing everything I've got in good scouts to build my own squad. Usually Eredivisie - Excelsior has been my project recently in 2018. Scoring with my CAMs (as mentioned) is quite awesome in 18. I've got a budding superstar CAM from Brazil that scores more than my second striker (4 4 2, counter attack).

I want 19 just for the champions league.... arggg - but then I am dropping 120+ on video games when I have too many to begin with because RDR2 is coming soon. Decisions.... I still have UFC3 and WWF18 on my PS4 Pro and haven't even played them.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
I read that the new perfect timing shot (two button taps, one for power one for timing) is like an automatic goal and needs to be nerfed.

I always like to make cheap, small clubs by selling off all my players in career manager mode and then investing everything I've got in good scouts to build my own squad. Usually Eredivisie - Excelsior has been my project recently in 2018. Scoring with my CAMs (as mentioned) is quite awesome in 18. I've got a budding superstar CAM from Brazil that scores more than my second striker (4 4 2, counter attack).

I want 19 just for the champions league.... arggg - but then I am dropping 120+ on video games when I have too many to begin with because RDR2 is coming soon. Decisions.... I still have UFC3 and WWF18 on my PS4 Pro and haven't even played them.

For me FIFA was included in Origin Premier which means I get a whole lot of games for 100 per year which would cost less than buying each individually. The only issue is it's on PC. And the game is kind of weird with PC controllers. If they could do something like Premier with PS4 or Xbox that would be cool.

I may do that manager thing too that you talked about. In prior manager modes I was always using the scouting network to find 17 and 18 year olds who would have record breaking seasons and then get offers from other teams. Deny, deny deny :laugh:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah that's upsetting... someday it will get some new stuff
They don't care about us.. Career mode take them a lot of time redevelop and they prefer focusing on gimmick mode and FUT because it makes them some money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad