FIFA / FM Thread

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Tried searching and couldn't find anything dedicated to FIFA and since they're both fairly popular games I figured we could just have one topic dedicated to them.

I'm sure there are people here playing both.

I just picked up FIFA 18 on the weekend and for the first time I'm actually playing FUT. It's pretty fun and I like the challenges this year. How's everyone doing? I've made this team:

Fekir
Memphis - Salah
Bakayoko - Wijnaldum - Henderson
Baba - Koscielny - Sanchez - Clyne
Schmeichel​

Looking to get Kante to replace Bakayaoko and Lloris for Schmeichel to round it out. I really liked the revamped playstyle although defending in this game is incredibly difficult. :(

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I haven't played online at all, but have instead started through the journey.

So far it's pretty decent. I'm not as much a fan of how on rails the transfers are, but overall the story is pretty solid and they've done well with the cutscenes.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Started a manager mode with... Valencia (Don't ask me why).
I was able to sign Mbappe for Zaza + 34M.€

:laugh:
TRAITOR!

Anyone know a website to check out the potential of young players in career mode? Futhead used to list it but i can't seem to find it anymore?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think the additions to FM 18 seem decent. I like the whole "Dynamics" idea. Some of the added roles just seem like you could create them with specific player instructions on an already existing role though. I also really wish that they had worked more on player/media interaction, something the community has asked for alot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are we talking about the game that rated Mendy 3 points overall under Evra?
Seriously? :biglaugh: :facepalm:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
It was too easy with Barça

I used to tell Valencia supporters they were wannabe Madridistas. Was always good fun and it would piss them right off. Though one bloke went off last season about the refs in La Liga and how disgraceful it was how they always favored Madrid above every other club including Barça. Guess I'll have to give them a pass now.

Actually Valencia would be interesting at the moment. When it comes to Barça you could always try my "plane crash" idea. You go into the editor and give pretty much the entire squad a career-ending injury on the exact same date. Then you buy players and sort of start all over from scratch. I usually set it for the last match before Xmas break. That way you can go into the January window and buy new players. Maybe Messi was injured and was allowed to go home early for Xmas break, so you save a player or three that you like. Then bring a few guys back from loan (Samper for example, promote some B teamers (Alena, Cucurella, etc), get a former player back who wants to help out, sign a few players in January and then try and rebuild more come Summer.

I usually take Bilbao or some random Argentinian team and make them powerhouses. With the amount of $$ Valencia give you it's just as easy.

Yeah, Athletic would be interesting with the Basque rule. Then again so would La Real without it.

I've tried Roma in the past. Usually got a season in. Was kind of unrealistic though because I'd force a Verratti transfer through (this was after his first season with PSG).

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
If you plan on buying FM but don't really need it on the first day I would suggest waiting around the January Transfer Window. They usually have it on sale for $19.99 either during the transfer window or when they release their final transfer window update.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I might switch to a 5-3-2 in FUT. Defending is a nightmare. I've had a lot of success running up with fullbacks at pace though and cutting into the middle.

Cards are all so expensive right now. Oy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Defending is very difficult, you really have to work on containing and playing the angles, and somehow deal with poor AI players, but it's a change that's for the better, even if it's harder.

Makes me think back to the days of the guided cruise missile defenders, when any moron that could hold down a button could defend.

I like a 3-4-2-1 with LM/RM that have high defensive work-rates and high speed/acceleration.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I get both every year. FM is the one I spend the most time on, no doubt. That game takes over my life for extended periods of time... lol

FIFA is always fun for chilling and a more arcade-y experience.

I'm travelling out of the country all week, so I won't get to play the FM beta, which is a bummer, but I'm going to play the hell out of it when I get back!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Have had to adjust a bit, but I'm getting a bit better at the defending. It's just not forgiving at all, and I find just playing passive/structured on defence just works better than trying to press/be proactive.

I packed Thiago Alcantara last night so he's officially my best player so far. His price isn't that high on the market so I've built a BuLi team:

4-3-3 (2)
Bruma - Origi - Coman
Keita - Thiago
Goretzka
Wendell - Bender - Nastasic - Weiser
Fahrmann
It's a lot cheaper than making the PL team I want right now. I really like the Squad Battles and team building exchange things. Can't wait for FM18 either. Between those two games I don't even play other video games anymore.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Packed a Halloween Kovacic and a Pjanic from some of those squad building challenges. Not a bad haul. Was able to sell them and buy Sane, Sterling, Wijnaldum, Ederson and Kola with a bunch of coins left over. Gonna keep grinding those they're kinda fun. Also starting to get the hang of the game, on a pretty good winning streak.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Have mainly played Squad Battles so far, the rewards you get for seasons are absolute trash by comparison. They've needed to fix them for a while now

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Have mainly played Squad Battles so far, the rewards you get for seasons are absolute trash by comparison. They've needed to fix them for a while now
Agreed. I've only really done seasons if I have nothing else left to do or I have to do a daily/weekly challenge. Squad battles and even the single player seasons seem to offer more. Currently I'm going through most of the SBCs as the rewards for some of those are pretty awesome.

Nice team! The in forms though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->