FIFA / FM Thread

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just came to realization after purchasing this year FIFA 2020 that FUT is killing FIFA and therefore I will never buy anymore of the game

I have way more fun playing old fifa games than the shit they have released lately. It's now all a money grab for FUT and it is disgusting to see/play.

On the other hand FM2020 is possibly the best football manager ever released, so that is nice to see that not all game publisher sell their soul to gimmick.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I just came to realization after purchasing this year FIFA 2020 that FUT is killing FIFA and therefore I will never buy anymore of the game

I have way more fun playing old fifa games than the shit they have released lately. It's now all a money grab for FUT and it is disgusting to see/play.

On the other hand FM2020 is possibly the best football manager ever released, so that is nice to see that not all game publisher sell their soul to gimmick.

I'm on the same mindset in terms of Fifa. I did not buy this year for the first time in forever and won't unti there is some changes made to the offline game modes and overall gameplay...May never happen for all we know.

During this quarantine I have been rocking some throw back Fifa's. My favourite being the 2010 WC game, the game play was fast and fun in that game!

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
What do you mean?

As far as I've found it works fine.

I read in some reviews how longballs are favoured but they balance it out by nerfing one v ones so you would have a lot of one v one chances but not score. Or that most goals come from indirect free kicks.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In the little I've seen I think the FM 3D match engine is pretty laughable. I personally wouldn't use it other than to see the odd replay.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I read in some reviews how longballs are favoured but they balance it out by nerfing one v ones so you would have a lot of one v one chances but not score. Or that most goals come from indirect free kicks.
I've seen plenty of non-set piece goals. I think the biggest issue is that most people only watch the highlights which will skew the way the match engine actually looks. Maybe someone scores off two long balls but they tried like 20 or something, and your team is pushing up the field and playing with a high line so long balls become more dangerous, etc.

I think FM gets a bad rep sometimes from just a lack of understanding or willingness to understand what it's actually doing or how a simulation works.

I still think it's by far the best soccer related simulator or game out there.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
The 1 v 1 issue was fixed but not the others. "Most" goals don't come free free kicks but it's a lot more than in real life. The defending has been terrible for years, the laughable giveaways and the frequency they happen. Just so frustrating to watch. I finally downloaded a skin with an instant result button. I couldn't take it anymore but not watching the matches takes out half the fun.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The 1 v 1 issue was fixed but not the others. "Most" goals don't come free free kicks but it's a lot more than in real life. The defending has been terrible for years, the laughable giveaways and the frequency they happen. Just so frustrating to watch. I finally downloaded a skin with an instant result button. I couldn't take it anymore but not watching the matches takes out half the fun.
I personally don't find the set piece goals to be out of whack. Set piece goals account for up to 30% of all goals IRL and more in some tournaments where teams are playing tighter. The giveaways are absolutely brutal...the number of times I've see van Dijk just pass directly to the other team or have the ball stripped of him is pretty bad and needs some work. That said I find the engine keeps improving year over year; I really like FM20's version.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Yeah, it looks ridiculous.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I still play my fair share of Career Mode...but it's badly in need of an upgrade.

That being said, I greatly, greatly enjoy FUT. I've spent about $40 on FIFA points, so not too much. Probably won't do that next year though.

This year I've gone deeper into it than I ever have, and my team is basically complete:

FUT.png

The Icon Swaps and objectives are a lot of fun...wish I had paid attention to them early in the year. I had no clue what they were.

Got 3 Icons for Swaps 3. Laudrup is tons of fun to play with. I was considering doing the 9 swaps for Puyol...but then Laporte had a Moments card come out and I grinded for that. Exchanged my tokens for an Icon Pack and got Rijkaard. Not the best but far from the worst...and I needed a good CDM anyways. Excited to play my first games with him and Litmanen.

I'm likely done major upgrades...but if I rack up enough coin, I'll probably upgrade Alexander-Arnold to Carlos Alberto Torres. That's a long ways away though...his Prime Icon is 1.3 Mil.

Reactions: kingsboy11

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
At what level? I'm finding it incredibly hard to keep up with the AI.

World Class/Legendary. I play as a League 1 squad and try and get them up to the Prem. The first year or two aren't too bad but of course things really ramp up in the Premier League. I struggle to stay up on Legendary...so I've dropped it down to World Class in the past.

I create a player, but control the whole squad. It's just too frustrating to sit as a CAM and have no control over your defense, plus it's boring. I wish FIFA still had the player/manager option though...as it'd be nice to seek out players during the transfer window.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I still play my fair share of Career Mode...but it's badly in need of an upgrade.

That being said, I greatly, greatly enjoy FUT. I've spent about $40 on FIFA points, so not too much. Probably won't do that next year though.

This year I've gone deeper into it than I ever have, and my team is basically complete:

View attachment 344312

The Icon Swaps and objectives are a lot of fun...wish I had paid attention to them early in the year. I had no clue what they were.

Got 3 Icons for Swaps 3. Laudrup is tons of fun to play with. I was considering doing the 9 swaps for Puyol...but then Laporte had a Moments card come out and I grinded for that. Exchanged my tokens for an Icon Pack and got Rijkaard. Not the best but far from the worst...and I needed a good CDM anyways. Excited to play my first games with him and Litmanen.

I'm likely done major upgrades...but if I rack up enough coin, I'll probably upgrade Alexander-Arnold to Carlos Alberto Torres. That's a long ways away though...his Prime Icon is 1.3 Mil.

I salute you for doing the Laporte objective. No way I would have the patience to complete that lol.

I got Petit from the icon pack and he's an absolute beast for me. Still debating on who to get with my remaining swaps. I was 100% set on getting Kaka , but now I'm not so sure between him, Lampard or Maldini. Lampard to upgrade my current Lampard and I can make profit on him, Maldini for a solid defender and then Kaka mostly for the fun of it.

I like the concept of icon swaps, but I think they should have a separate mode for objectives to prevent higher division players from relegating themselves to complete the objectives easier.

They just released another mid icon sbc and I'm probably going to do it because I can probably do it for free.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I salute you for doing the Laporte objective. No way I would have the patience to complete that lol.

I got Petit from the icon pack and he's an absolute beast for me. Still debating on who to get with my remaining swaps. I was 100% set on getting Kaka , but now I'm not so sure between him, Lampard or Maldini. Lampard to upgrade my current Lampard and I can make profit on him, Maldini for a solid defender and then Kaka mostly for the fun of it.

I like the concept of icon swaps, but I think they should have a separate mode for objectives to prevent higher division players from relegating themselves to complete the objectives easier.

They just released another mid icon sbc and I'm probably going to do it because I can probably do it for free.

Haha the crosses were NOT fun...The other objectives I got while doing Icon Swaps...and I didn't even notice.

Crosses in this game are so broken, and having to win the game made it extra frustrating. I had at least 4 games where I gave up a tying goal in a game where I had scored from the cross.

After playing a few games with him, Litmanen is a ton of fun. Compliments Laudup nicely. :)

EDIT: Did the Mid Icon Pack SBC. Thanks for telling me about this.

Only had to buy one player off the market (30K, so not too bad). Used Silva out of my active squad, but he was only 35K and I bought him ages ago. Easy replacement.

Sadly...didn't get anyone of consequence. Lehmann...ugh. Not ideal. I suppose I could sell my Lloris Champions League Live...they're not substantially different actually. I'll lose about 100K on Lloris from when I bought him, but that's not too awful. From what I've been reading 88 Lehmann is actually a solid keeper. Think I'll do it.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Haha the crosses were NOT fun...The other objectives I got while doing Icon Swaps...and I didn't even notice.

Crosses in this game are so broken, and having to win the game made it extra frustrating. I had at least 4 games where I gave up a tying goal in a game where I had scored from the cross.

After playing a few games with him, Litmanen is a ton of fun. Compliments Laudup nicely. :)

EDIT: Did the Mid Icon Pack SBC. Thanks for telling me about this.

Only had to buy one player off the market (30K, so not too bad). Used Silva out of my active squad, but he was only 35K and I bought him ages ago. Easy replacement.

Sadly...didn't get anyone of consequence. Lehmann...ugh. Not ideal. I suppose I could sell my Lloris Champions League Live...they're not substantially different actually. I'll lose about 100K on Lloris from when I bought him, but that's not too awful. From what I've been reading 88 Lehmann is actually a solid keeper. Think I'll do it.

I got Drogba in my mid icon pack. So far after a couple of games with him he's absolute trash. He turns like a bus, he's slow, terrible balance and worst of all he can't finish. I could barely score goals with him squad battles.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I got Drogba in my mid icon pack. So far after a couple of games with him he's absolute trash. He turns like a bus, he's slow, terrible balance and worst of all he can't finish. I could barely score goals with him squad battles.
Yeah that’s easily the worst part about this game. If your player, especially attackers aren’t small, agile, balanced, and fast there’s no point in using them. I mean over half the player base is just useless in this game due to how the game is set up. Lewandowski should be one of the best players in the game. Too bad he isn’t 5’9.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah that’s easily the worst part about this game. If your player, especially attackers aren’t small, agile, balanced, and fast there’s no point in using them. I mean over half the player base is just useless in this game due to how the game is set up. Lewandowski should be one of the best players in the game. Too bad he isn’t 5’9.

Well its funny you bring up Lewandowski because his 92 card has probably been my favorite player I've used this year. But you're absolutely right. Just looking at other icons, players like Van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Lineker, Gerrard, Shevchenko, Pires and Trezeguet. All fantastic players in real life and deserving of those icons cards. I've come up against all those cards, maybe a handful of the time. The game should be catering to make all cards usable in some sense. Almost all the top teams in the higher divisions will have a combination of Mbappe, Neymar and Ben Yedder.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Lehmann's been good for me. Goalies are hard to judge...usually the goals given up are because of poor defense by me.

But he's saved everything I'd expect him to save...not materially different from Lloris.

I made it to Gold for this weekend league. So I should get 2 EPL TOTSSF cards. Hoping for a winger or a fullback. Either will allow me to improve my squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad