Confirmed with Link: Ferraro claimed by Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Really cant see logic of keeping Andersson over ferraro.
Both have hands of stone, Anderssson is a decent faceoff man I guess but Ferraro is fast and seemed to play a fair bit more physical.

The logic was probably that Ferraro would get to play in Grand Rapids but Andersson or Miller would not.

You're only allowed to have 6 veterans playing in the AHL at a time and the Griffins already have Paetsch, Lashoff, Hoggan, Cleary, Miele, Tangradi, Grant, and Rechlicz. Adding another veteran like Andersson would have just made for less ice-time for all the veterans.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't care that we lost Ferraro. More mad that we still have Miller and Andersson for no reason.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
It's also possible that Boston puts him back on waivers when they get healthy. At that point the Wings can claim him and put him directly into the AHL.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Other than Quincey, when has this happened?

Honest question.

A first rounder or in general? We dealt some junk (Golubovsky?) to get Larionov back from Florida when he decided to sign down there. I think it was Brown that Nashville took in the expansion draft and we traded something to get him back (don't remember what). Might have happened to Gilchrist, too. None were big trades, though, involving anything significant. At least not that I remember.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It was a bit of hyperbole, but it would be a Holland move to bring back a guy he lost to waivers or free agency.

Nah, it'd be a Holland move to sign a 35 yr old vet to replace the guy he lost to waivers, rather than let one of the prospects try to run with it. He's even gotten away from that a bit in recent years, though.

Aug 6, 2012
It's also possible that Boston puts him back on waivers when they get healthy. At that point the Wings can claim him and put him directly into the AHL.

Apparently two or three teams put a claim on him. Can't remember exactly the source but it was a credible one off twitter.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nah, it'd be a Holland move to sign a 35 yr old vet to replace the guy he lost to waivers, rather than let one of the prospects try to run with it. He's even gotten away from that a bit in recent years, though.

He will wait till Ferraro is 35 then trade a first rounder for him and sign him to a 7 year extension with NTC. Then be like 'suck it' tire kickers. And yes he will still be the GM of the wings at that time.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Apparently two or three teams put a claim on him. Can't remember exactly the source but it was a credible one off twitter.

Depending on where those teams are in the standings the Wings might have waiver priority on them.

Not that I think the Wings would claim him anyways. Ferraro wants to play in the NHL and I can't see the Wings claiming him back only to make him unhappy by sending him to the minors again.

Jewell

Jun 19, 2015
Who do we have in our pipeline who's capable of replacing Ferraro's 1 career goal?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
"The Wings are so deep right now," Ferraro said. "It was between me or Andy (Joakim Andersson) or Jurcs (Tomas Jurco), whatever they were going to do. They thought that (waiving him) was the best move. At the same time, you look and they've got AA (Andreas Athanasiou), (Anthony) Mantha, they have (Tyler) Bertuzzi, they have a ton of guys who are ready to go. It's so deep. I think this is a good fit for me, I'm excited and (Monday) was a lot of fun to get into a game again and get moving."

His dad taught him well. Zero bitterness there.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/11/landon_ferraro_itll_be_weird_f.html

But I also think this quote makes the point pretty well. Sure, Ferraro got waived instead of Andersson, but Andersson might get waived in not too long here, because the Wings have a ton of competition for that spot between Jurco and AA and the rest. I think it was more of the Wings hoping they could sneak Ferraro down to GR than any kind of calculated Andy vs Ferraro decision.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His dad taught him well. Zero bitterness there.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/11/landon_ferraro_itll_be_weird_f.html

But I also think this quote makes the point pretty well. Sure, Ferraro got waived instead of Andersson, but Andersson might get waived in not too long here, because the Wings have a ton of competition for that spot between Jurco and AA and the rest. I think it was more of the Wings hoping they could sneak Ferraro down to GR than any kind of calculated Andy vs Ferraro decision.

That makes sense. But at the same time, Landon never had any future on the Wings whatsoever. Him getting picked up by a team that can use him was the best thing for him and his career. Good kid, hope he has a long and prosperous career!

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
That quote above makes me glad he got picked up by a team likely to use him for now. He may never be more than a journeyman, but I hope he makes a decent career out of it. Never doubted his work ethic.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
With barely NHL experience it isn't a surprise we couldn't keep him. But with whom we kept instead I scratch my head. Because Ferraro has more potential than Andersson. I thought Ferraro was a natural center?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Why did we waive him and keep Andersson again?

No idea. Does anyone believe it's because he's a Swede and well-liked in the room?

The center depth argument is ********.

Lando provided speed, grit, skill and tenacity. And he was a first round pick. He's got the potential to be a good 3rd line forward and excellent PK'er.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No idea. Does anyone believe it's because he's a Swede and well-liked in the room?

The center depth argument is ********.

Lando provided speed, grit, skill and tenacity. And he was a first round pick. He's got the potential to be a good 3rd line forward and excellent PK'er.

Center depth argument is absolutely ****, considering the guy is playing wing. So being better at face offs doesn't even matter.

Ferraro is a better hockey player in just about every way. More of a knock on Andersson than praise for Ferraro there, but still.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why did we waive him and keep Andersson again?
I guess because if 2 guys have 0 points in 10 games you waive the one that has never shown anything at the NHL level and keep the one that at least has a track record of being somewhat useful?

But I don't know. Both these guys are as irrelevant as it gets at the NHL level. Have to assume Andersson is gone soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad