Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
datsyuk zetterberg sheahan richards glendening helm athanathiou larkin

no center depth?

As I have said in a previous post, Sheahan has been a trainwreck as a center, Larkin isn't being used as a bottom 6 player and AA would put Detroit over the roster limit and possibly in cap hell as a 13th forward. So in case of injury they are left with very little bottom 6 center depth.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Ultimately I don't think losing Ferraro has any impact on the team whatsoever, but I'd still have preferred to keep him over Andersson who, in my opinion is worse than Ferraro in every conceivable way.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ferraro wasn't very good at the NHL level, but who knows, he could find a home in Boston. Good luck, Landon!

Actual Thought*

I wish it was Jurco. At least Lando is a righty who skates and is willing to do his job.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
As I have said in a previous post, Sheahan has been a trainwreck as a center, Larkin isn't being used as a bottom 6 player and AA would put Detroit over the roster limit and possibly in cap hell as a 13th forward. So in case of injury they are left with very little bottom 6 center depth.

How does calling AA up put Detroit in 'cap hell'? The idea is if there is an injury you can call up a suitable replacement, sticking Andersson in the lineup isn't a suitable replacement like AA is.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let's not kid ourselves here, Andersson's days as a Red Wing are probably numbered too. I'm guessing he stick around longer than Ferraro because he can play C (and is usally decent on faceoffs), and has some versatility in terms of being able to fill in on a 3rd line. Plus he's more experienced.

Ferraro unfortunately got injured just when he kinda got his opportunity to make himself a regular. I wish him the best going forward, but certainly wish he could have gone somewhere other than Boston.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
A bigger difference maker, how exactly? He has one point in 24 career regular season and playoff games. His possession numbers are disastrous. He has already passed through waivers once before without being claimed. Aside from good (although hardly elite) skating ability I'm struggling to find any real positives for him. Is that more valuable than Andersson's size (along with largely all of the same deficiencies)? I don't really know, but I don't think it's an obvious call either way.

In his defense, anyone spending their career on Glendening's wing will have disastrous possession numbers. Luke is allergic to pick possession.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe I'm missing something, but why did we waive Ferraro and keep Andersson?

one is a 5'11" 169ibs redundant undersized player on an already small team that is known to get constantly pushed around. the other is a 6'2" 206ibs bottom player that hasn't done anything amazing what-so-ever, but has been steady enough in his role.

Ken Holland might have opted to keep Landon if things swayed right instead of left. For example, had Johan Franzen proved to be healthy, had Athanasiou not proved to already be a better option over Landon (and is still waiver eligible). If the Wings needed more speed instead of size, but they need size...

Wings are brimming with small speedy motors that lack size. Wings are undersized and constantly pushed around. One player has been steady in his role, one player hasn't proven anything to justify keeping him in his limited sample size we tried him in. Farraro has no future here as a Red Wings. Andersson is a depth forward that is buying time for Jurco to come back. Big body replaces another big body. One is a stump (Andy), one has a bright future (Jurco).

Waiving Landon was the best thing for his career. Andy will sit when Jurco returns.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How does calling AA up put Detroit in 'cap hell'? The idea is if there is an injury you can call up a suitable replacement, sticking Andersson in the lineup isn't a suitable replacement like AA is.

In the case of day to day injuries calling up AA causes the following issues:

#1 Puts Detroit over roster limit.
#2 Possibly puts Detroit over cap limit
#3 Burns AA's waiver eligibility
#4 Andersson inherited Dan Cleary's trunk full of something called 'Holland extortion materials'.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

hindsight1.jpg

I mean, in hindsight we should have probably done something better with our first round pick in 2008, too.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

Ferraro was picked #32 though.

We missed out on Ashton, Despres and Koskinen by trading down. Despres is alright, but nothing to lose sleep over. O'Reilly was available with #32 pick used on Ferraro, so we weren't picking him either way.

As for Ferraro going to Boston. I really don't mind. If he gets a chance there, then good for him. He wasn't going to be a regular in the Wings lineup anyway.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I believe Tyler Wright is a newer addition to the scouting staff. Kenny pryed him away from CBJ. Now Holland needs to pry some brain trust away from Nashville to get some Webers, Suters and Josi's on the team.

he wasn't with jackets when kenny signed wright. jackets had him as head amateur scout but jackets decided to go with another guy there and replaced him- basically kekäläinen brought his own guy to be head amateur scout, wright was from previous management. they offered him some other job (not in amateur scout) and he chose not to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad