TV: Favourite 90s sitcom

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I thought there was a Fresh Prince thread on here, but the search didn't turn up anything, so thought I'd use this thread.

Today is apparently the 25th anniversary of what's considered one of the best episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and the episode that helped Will Smith to start getting taken seriously as an actor.

Uncle Phil from ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ may be the best TV dad in history — this scene proves it

For anyone who's seen it, they probably know which episode I'm talking about. I don't know if I'd say it's the most emotional I've ever been watching a tv show, but there aren't many that I can think of that may be able to top it.

I recall being a sobbing mess watching it the first time, and would probably want some tissues nearby if it was on right now.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
I thought there was a Fresh Prince thread on here, but the search didn't turn up anything, so thought I'd use this thread.

Today is apparently the 25th anniversary of what's considered one of the best episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and the episode that helped Will Smith to start getting taken seriously as an actor.

Uncle Phil from ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ may be the best TV dad in history — this scene proves it

For anyone who's seen it, they probably know which episode I'm talking about. I don't know if I'd say it's the most emotional I've ever been watching a tv show, but there aren't many that I can think of that may be able to top it.

I recall being a sobbing mess watching it the first time, and would probably want some tissues nearby if it was on right now.
Without looking at the link I'm gonna guess it's the one with his dad.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Seinfeld
Frasier
The Simpsons
Larry Sanders

Those 4 shows are four of the best shows to ever be on television in my opinion.

Roseanne
Friends
Fresh Prince
King of the hill
That 70’s Show
Family guy
Newsradio

Those are good shows too, but not at the same level as the first 4 I mentioned.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Seinfeld
Roseanne

And 2 very underrated shows:
King of Queens
NewsRadio

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
3rd Rock from the Sun is probably my favorite from the 90s, but I'm not big on sitcoms, the humor often feels kinda forced and in your face with the overlaying laugh tracks and everything. Alf I like for nostalgic reasons but that's a late 80s series and I'm to young to even have watched it in real time. I actually do like some parts of That 70's Show, it must be they just had a writer who wrote jokes on some subjects and with a tonality I appreciate. Fresh Prince in Bel Air did have some good elements to it, mostly in some of the supporting characters.

Now when I think about it both 3rd Rock and 70s Show had experienced feature film and/or stage actors in it (John Lithgow, Kurtwood Smith, Debra Jo Rupp), perhaps that played/plays a part in it.

Shows like Seinfeld, I (think I) get the appeal but I just can't relate to it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Here's a simple question, what is your favourite TV sitcom from the 1990's? Now the show didn't have to end during the 90's, it just has to either been started during the 90's or its peak popularity was during the 90's.

Home Improvement I think is my favorite sitcom of all time.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Friends
Home Improvement
Married with Children
Seinfeld
Full House
Boy Meets World
Saved by the Bell

wow, looking back...if the 2010s is the golden age for paid television, the 90s was the golden age for sitcoms

Some others that had been on TV in the 90's you didn't list

Cheers
Roseanne
The Simpsons
Frasier
That '70s Show
3rd Rock from the Sun
The Nanny
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch
Step by Step
NewsRadio
The Drew Carey Show
Family Matters
Unhappily Ever After
Coach

Yes the 90's is by far and away the best decade for sitcoms on TV. All those you listed and the ones I added I had watched and enjoyed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad