TV: Favourite 90s sitcom

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
For the record Coztanza>Kramer. We all agree on this right?

Costanza > All.

The only who may give George a run is Frank Costanza, on a part time basis.

And that's part of what made Seinfeld so great. There were so many great minor and bit characters along the way.

Speaking of Frank Costanza, Jerry Stiller played two of my favorite sitcom characters ever in Frank and Arthur Spooner on King of Queens. Legend.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Frank Costanza is the funniest character on Seinfeld.

He steals virtually very scene that he's in.

Part of that is that he is used sparingly so it's a bit easier.

But still, very impressive.

"It's A PIERRE CARDIN!!!!"

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't know if I can pick just one. The 90s were a great time for sitcoms. I guess if I had to give an answer, its the Simpsons.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
"Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!".... aka Father Ted
Allo' Allo'
Keeping Up Appearances
Absolutely Fabulous
Red Dwarf
Simpsons
Frasier to some extent. Started off good but became lame once *you know what* happened.
South Park
King of the Hill
Svensson Svensson

Friends and Seinfeld are way overrated.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
My top 5 90s comedies would be:

1) Seinfeld - The gold standard. From the writing to the acting, everything clicked. Seasons 3 and 4 were almost perfection. Even the weaker episodes from the later years are better than most sitcoms best episodes. No other show has better rewatch value for me.

2) Frasier - Intelligent, witty dialogue, but the shows greatest strength was the remarkable chemistry between Kelsey Grammar and David Hyde Pierce. Any scene where they're arguing with each other was priceless.

3) The Larry Sanders Show: Surprised it hasn't been mentioned much in this thread. Garry Shandling was a brilliant comedian.

4) The John Larroquette Show: Ahead of its time. If you remove the laugh track and put it on a cable network it would thrive today, but some of the subject matter was a little too edgy for 90s primetime.

5) Mad About You: Never understood why this show was so hated by many. I found it entertaining more often than not.

Honourable mentions: Spin City, Coach, Drew Carey Show.

Sep 19, 2008
Frank Costanza was perhaps the best because of his reactions to things which were always over the top. Like the time he slapped George because George sold all his Cabana wear. "What's the matter with you." ("I like to go in fresh!") ("I didn't come all this way from Queens, just to sit in a booth!") and of course Serenity now, which I find overrated because everyone just quotes it now. "Until you pin me , George, Festivus is not over!"

George Costanza has got to be second because of his hair brained schemes, he had a lot more of them than Kramer. "I was in the pool!" "Attention Steinbrenner and front office morons."

Kramer had his fair share of hilarious plot lines but George had much more. "I'm out". "Jerry, if the Pigman were here, he'd give you a ride."

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
This is probably my favorite moment and line delivery of Frank's (the Buddy Rich reference):

Reactions: izzy

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Seinfeld was the best overall, Frasier was the best written and acted, Wings at its best (hit or miss) made me laugh the most, probably because it reminded me of Newhart '82-'90.

Reactions: TNT87

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I don't count the Simpsons, South Park, etc..

Top 90s sitcoms that I still watch,

Married with Children
Wings
Becker
The Kids in the Hall

As a teenager back then I watched,

Save by the Bell
Boy Meets World (Topanga :naughty:)
Coach
Dinosaurs
The Drew Carey Show
Mad About You

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we're going British sitcoms I'd have to go with Fawlty Towers.

For '90s British sitcoms there's only one answer for me:

06-partridge-bbc.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad