Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I love Ehlers but I’d be ok with letting him go for the right price but it will have to be a notable return on defence that is not a pick because he is such a good play driver

I just don’t know what top 4 d man would net him as a return. Hopefully one of the eastern team loaded at D that ends up desperately needing offence. He’d fit well with Carolina or NJ for example although if Canes win the cup this year, then they won’t really have as strong a desire to trade unless they lose in the playoffs in some emotional fashion

Regarding his post season comments though, I wouldn’t put too much presumption into his words with not wanting to stay. Go watch Scheif and Helle’s pressers from last year they were similarly restrained / borderline even more candid than ehlers was this year…anything can happen.

The fact that trouba was still on the board was a miracle... he gave us some good years - maybe we should have tried to lock him down at 6-7m instead of bridge...

I don’t think his heart was ever in staying with the Jets. He said it was because of his wife sure but his agent seemed to have pushed his goal to leave during negotiations. If a player wants to stay they will make it happen - look at Scheif and Helle, prior deals for Morrissey, Ehlers and Connor

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I love Ehlers but I’d be ok with letting him go for the right price but it will have to be a notable return on defence that is not a pick because he is such a good play driver

I just don’t know what top 4 d man would net him as a return. Hopefully one of the eastern team loaded at D that ends up desperately needing offence. He’d fit well with Carolina or NJ for example although if Canes win the cup this year, then they won’t really have as strong a desire to trade unless they lose in the playoffs in some emotional fashion

Regarding his post season comments though, I wouldn’t put too much presumption into his words with not wanting to stay. Go watch Scheif and Helle’s pressers from last year they were similarly restrained / borderline even more candid than ehlers was this year…anything can happen.

I don’t think his heart was ever in staying with the Jets. He said it was because of his wife sure but his agent seemed to have pushed his goal to leave during negotiations. If a player wants to stay they will make it happen - look at Scheif and Helle, prior deals for Morrissey, Ehlers and Connor
Probably right... but overpaying him at 23 probably gets you 2-3 years of UFA... no way Overheard advises his client to walk away from 6-7m a season for six years and settle for half that in bridge deals

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Seider would be the #1 target on that list. You'd have to pay a heavy price for him, but we are not getting stronger on D without making a big move; unless of course Salomonsson magically adapts to the NHL and follows an upward trajectory. (Not impossible mind you).

There is a good chance we lose both Demelo and Dillon. We could replace those guys internally, but we need to make a move if we want a top 4 RD.

I don't think Detroit has any interest in moving their future #1 D man for much of anything. Especially anything we could offer them.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It always amuses me when people say "it's ancient history" when they've been caught out rewriting it.
This should amuse you to as for rewriting history if you think that Bowness was the Jets first choice to coach the Jets you weren't paying attention.

ms-tkk85N-2.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers and Stan for Connor Murphy and pick (3rd) could make sense - or maybe you can work Pionk into that deal somehow...

You'd have the size to complement JoMo and free up DeMelo
I wouldn't trade Ehlers for Murphy even if they ate Schmidt's salary.

An extended Ehlers and Loosh for a quality RHD like Pulock. (would love to finagle Pionk into that deal)
6.15m for 6 more years. 35 years old when his deal is up.
22 1/2 minutes a game on a team where Dobson plays 24 1/2 minutes! Their 3rd pair D only needs to play 13 minutes.

Reactions: hockeyarena

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I wouldn't trade Ehlers for Murphy even if they ate Schmidt's salary.

An extended Ehlers and Loosh for a quality RHD like Pulock. (would love to finagle Pionk into that deal)
6.15m for 6 more years. 35 years old when his deal is up.
22 1/2 minutes a game on a team where Dobson plays 24 1/2 minutes! Their 3rd pair D only needs to play 13 minutes.
You're overestimating the value of wingers... but Roy probably does want some scoring

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
ehlers has been shit in the POs. do i predict that to continue at the current pace? probably not. but you can't deny how little he has contributed for the Jets.

watch the 23-24 WPG Jets Plays of The Year that the NHL put up.... like 50% of the Fwd plays are Ehlers, did anyone see any semblance of that in the post-season? i didn't.

is it all on him? no of course not, it's a team game. however, certain players like he and helle have not performed in the POs to the regular-season standards which the Jets are accustomed to. someone in another thread was trying to compare his performance to appleton's... seriously, appleton is the f***ing bar for ehlers now. a guy who was ~top-15 in 5v5 scoring this year, or one of the best NHL Fwds in GF vs GA?

he's been a 0.8PPG since 17-18.... in the POs he's 50+% worse. id accept the argument that perhaps the PO are lower scoring overall so some decrease is expected (which you can see below), however no one is worse than ehlers. these are some select wingers with regular season ppgs similar to ehlers (b/w 0.7 - 0.9), he has been crap

(and this is coming from an ehlers fan that fully recognizes his proficiency or prowess [outside of the post-season])

1714773142769.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ehlers even at the trade deadline will get you value but trading him wont get you a top pairing D.

Yeah virtually impossible ask to get a top 4 RHD for Ehlers.

We could potentially target a high end prospect in juniors along with a pick though and hope they develop into one in a few years.

Perhaps Chicago would do Rinzel for an extended Ehlers. Having a speedy winger to play with Bedard might be enticing for them.

ehlers has been shit in the POs. do i predict that to continue at the current pace? probably not. but you can't deny how little he has contributed for the Jets.

watch the 23-24 WPG Jets Plays of The Year that the NHL put up.... like 50% of the Fwd plays are Ehlers, did anyone see any semblance of that in the post-season?

is it all on him? no of course not, it's a team game. however, certain player like he and helle have not performed in the POs.

he's been a 0.8PPG since 17-18.... in the POs he's 50+% worse. id accept the argument is lower scoring overall, however no one is worse than ehlers.

these are some select wingers with regular season ppgs similar to ehlers (b/w 0.7 - 0.9), he has been crap

and this is coming from an ehlers fan that fully recognizes his proficiency or prowess (outside of the post-season)

View attachment 864225

His entire game changes when the physicality jumps up. He becomes entirely a perimeter player. Marner suffers from a similar fate.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah virtually impossible ask to get a top 4 RHD for Ehlers.

We could potentially target a high end prospect in juniors along with a pick though and hope they develop into one in a few years.

Perhaps Chicago would do Rinzel for an extended Ehlers. Having a speedy winger to play with Bedard might be enticing for them.

His entire game changes when the physicality jumps up. He becomes entirely a perimeter player. Marner suffers from a similar fate.
Same can be said for scheif...

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I think the Jets will try to extend Ehlers this year, is that what's best for the team time will tell, having failed that then at the deadline he will go playoffs or not.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
This should amuse you to as for rewriting history if you think that Bowness was the Jets first choice to coach the Jets you weren't paying attention.
I don't think that at all. I never stated that I thought that. Why do make up shit like that?

I've noticed this in the past with you. Somebody will make a statement about ABC and you're response is to say "well if you think that about DEF, therefore..." which has nothing to do with what they originally said.

I can't quite figure out why you do this from time to time.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I don't think that at all. I never stated that I thought that. Why do make up shit like that?

I've noticed this in the past with you. Somebody will make a statement about ABC and you're response is to say "well if you think that about DEF, therefore..." which has nothing to do with what they originally said.

I can't quite figure out why you do this from time to time.
Have_a_nice_day_and_smiley_face_bag.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Someone needs to draw this to the attention of TNSE --

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Penguins fired assistant coach Todd Reirden on Friday, just over two weeks after the organization missed out on the playoffs for a second straight season.

Reirden was in charge of Pittsburgh's power play. The Penguins struggled while on the man advantage all season despite having a star-studded unit that included Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh converted on just 15% of its power play opportunities, 30th in the 32-team NHL.

“Mike Sullivan and I have spent time over the past two weeks evaluating the coaching staff, and although these decisions are never easy, we agree that this change was in the best interest of the team moving forward," general manager Kyle Dubas said in a statement.

The firing ends Reirden's second stint with the organization. He served as an assistant in Pittsburgh from 2010-14 before moving on to Washington. He spent two years as head coach of the Capitals from 2018-20 before returning to the Penguins.
TNSE , not sure they know what firing means

It would be nice to get a new special teams coach.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Why are people so confused that Ehelrs isn't playing 20 minutes a night? It's a pretty rare season he doesn't miss a significant portion. This year he played a full season buuuut someone posted he was playing with a significant injury. Anyone ever thought that maybe Ehlers contributing for 16m/game for 90-100% is far better than 20m/game for 40 games?

Who else scored in the playoffs? What are the options? Adding the 0 goals of Ehlers to the top line? Can he handle the minutes for 82 games? Again, year after year he shows he can't.

Half of your post is you beating up a straw man. You lose.
HF Boards needs a barf emoji option under the like button.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
HF Boards needs a barf emoji option under the like button.
Found one of many poster who thought the roster was garbage before the season and are mad that they finished 4th in the league. The eternal rebuild is the only way.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Someone needs to draw this to the attention of TNSE --

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Penguins fired assistant coach Todd Reirden on Friday, just over two weeks after the organization missed out on the playoffs for a second straight season.

Reirden was in charge of Pittsburgh's power play. The Penguins struggled while on the man advantage all season despite having a star-studded unit that included Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh converted on just 15% of its power play opportunities, 30th in the 32-team NHL.

“Mike Sullivan and I have spent time over the past two weeks evaluating the coaching staff, and although these decisions are never easy, we agree that this change was in the best interest of the team moving forward," general manager Kyle Dubas said in a statement.

The firing ends Reirden's second stint with the organization. He served as an assistant in Pittsburgh from 2010-14 before moving on to Washington. He spent two years as head coach of the Capitals from 2018-20 before returning to the Penguins.
Agreed. But TNSE isn't firing anyone. Maurice had to fire himself FFS.

BUT - They can promote him! Make him Executice VP of Player Personal Responsibilty Team Management Of On Ice Equipment Staff Ice Cleaning and Pucks for Warm-ups and Pre Game and Intermission Entertainment of Patrons.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
This upcoming season is a huge year for VH, he needs to come into camp and take a spot like it looked like he was going to this last campaign. I don't think it matters what the Jets do with Miller, Dilly and Smoke or if they decide to move Stanley or Pionk or buy out Schmidt there is a spot for him he just needs to come in a take it.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad