TV: Favourite 90s sitcom

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is it controversial to say that around 2003-2012ish was far better for network sitcoms than the 90s?

1. Frasier (hold up better over time, consistency was better than in Seinfeld, best dialogue)
2. Friends (it was the funniest at its best but suffers in quality over time)
3. Seinfeld (a bit overrated imo and I say that as an Always Sunny fan, mainly it was inconsistent for me but unique compared to the others and had the funniest cast)
4. News Radio (good all-around once it got going, weak final season)

Simpsons above all imo if it counts. Sports Night, Spin City, Home Improvement, and a few others had their moments but I couldn't get into them consistently.

Funniest/best characters excluding Simpson's ones:

1. Phil Hartman's Bill on News Radio
2. Niles from Frasier
3. Costanza
4. Chandler
5. Elaine
6. Tim Allen

Reactions: Prairie Oyster
Jan 3, 2012
Is it controversial to say that around 2003-2012ish was far better for network sitcoms than the 90s?

1. Frasier (hold up better over time, consistency was better than in Seinfeld, best dialogue)
2. Friends (it was the funniest at its best but suffers in quality over time)
3. Seinfeld (a bit overrated imo and I say that as an Always Sunny fan, mainly it was inconsistent for me but unique compared to the others and had the funniest cast)
4. News Radio (good all-around once it got going, weak final season)

Simpsons above all imo if it counts. Sports Night, Spin City, Home Improvement, and a few others had their moments but I couldn't get into them consistently.

Funniest/best characters excluding Simpson's ones:

1. Phil Hartman's Bill on News Radio
2. Niles from Frasier
3. Costanza
4. Chandler
5. Elaine
6. Tim Allen

Kramer?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Seinfeld in a landslide.

I was a big fan of Home Improvement as well. The toolman was the ultimate man to me.

I never got into Friends. I just didn't find it funny.

I can watch Cheers, but I thought Frasier was awful.

Married with Children was pretty funny, but I have to be in the mood.

Then of course Full House was a staple at the time.

I also used to be into Step by Step and Boy Meets World a little bit.

I consider Everybody Loves Raymond and especially the King of Queens to be 00s sitcoms.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
After The Simpsons, I would probably go with Family Matters. In the early 90s, Perfect Strangers would've edged it out slightly for me, but that ran from 86-93 and lost a little bit in the last season or two, so maybe it's more appropriate to count that as an 80s series.

I dunno...in my mind that is still the 80s.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air debuted in 1990.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Friends
Home Improvement
Married with Children
Seinfeld
Full House
Boy Meets World
Saved by the Bell

wow, looking back...if the 2010s is the golden age for paid television, the 90s was the golden age for sitcoms

I dont think so. Its for a discussion (you could create one). But i think, 2010s are very very good with sitcoms. Maybe you dont watch it as much as in 90s. And therefore you dont have the full picture.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Ended in 1992 and peaked in the mid-late 80's, but I have to mention my all-time favorite 'Allo 'Allo.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Only two that I really watched and liked start to finish, Seinfeld and Married: With Children.

Others that had some good seasons I really liked but didn't hold me through their full runs:
Wings
Frasier
Caroline in the City
Friends
The Single Guy (actually, it got cancelled right around the time I started to watch, and it's possible I was only watching for Ming Na Wen)
Newsradio
Home Improvement
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

I also loved Red Dwarf, but it was broadcast on PBS and got sporadic after the first production interruption (Craig Charles' gang rape charges of which he was later cleared), and the other short-lived sitcom Chris Barrie was in The Brittas Empire. I was also watching Keeping Up Appearances back then but it was an older series that PBS just kept hanging around. Also watched Rowan Atkinson vehicles Mr. Bean (sometimes) and The Thin Blue Line.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I meant the golden age was the 80s. Clearly FPOBA was not.;)

It's debatable...the funnier sitcoms were in the 90s, but there were many more in the 80s and they had a way of making a real connection with you. Some are unwatchable today (Silver Spoons for instance) but were great back then.

Benson (say what you will, Robert Guillaume's ascerbic wit in this Soap spin-off is still funny 35 years later).
Newhart
Night Court
The Cosby Show
Cheers
The Golden Girls
Empty Nest
Growing Pains
Alf (heeeereeeee, kitty, kitty, kitty:D)
Full House
Family Matters
Bosom Buddies

There were tons of others, but that's just what I watched and liked...or can remember, I'm getting old :laugh:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Buffoon Kramer was a huge reason why I never got into Seinfeld.

giphy.gif

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Wow. I read all your answers and either:

A) sitcoms sucked in the 90s
B) I have a twisted sense of humor
C) both of the above

Out of all those listed, the only one I watched even semi-regularly was 'Married with Children' .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad