Favin's Top 100 Prospects

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Top 5? Not biased

He was second in rookie scoring despite playing less games.

Benson has an excellent case for being a top 5 LW prospect.

66 points in 68 games his rookie AHL season is outstanding production, he should have been the AHL Rookie of the Year.

The fact he isn’t even in the top 25 for OPs list is hilarious, I mean I appreciate the effort but that’s a huge omission.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
You obviously haven’t watched Dach very much.

He’s an absolute beast protecting the puck and on the cycle. He’s so strong along the walls and uses that to open up plays with his elite hockey IQ.
This ain't my first rodeo, snipes. Talk to me in 3 years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pretty solid list. You do a list that big and everyone will disagree with something, it's dumb complaining about 1 little thing. Just 1 question regarding age, and I'm well aware this discussion is a sensitive topic on here so I'm not criticizing any answer, or trying to tell anyone what way is correct I'm just curious. You mention age with an example, did you just go by their current numerical age or their draft year, of birth year? Because your example was Hirose v. Bracco and while their current numerical ages are the same(for 2 more days) their draft and birth years are different, most people would consider them a year apart so I just thought it was a strange example to pick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Timmins dropped to #113 because of uncertainty around concussion. If healthy, he would be in #80-85 range between Newhook and Bowers on COL board and between Josh Brook and Ian Mitchell on RHD board.

As for Kaut (#127), I think its easy for some to match him with someone like Necas since they have often been international teammates, but I think they are pretty far apart and this year's production backs that up. I feel pretty good about his spot here.

Ya see I still feel like that's sleeping on Timmins pretty hard.

Concussion raises concerns but if he was healthy this year I dont even this he'd be considered a prospect anymore. I suspect by November or December he would've earned a shot with the Avs and never looked back.

Gotta remember he was the best Dman for Canada at the World Juniors when they won gold. +/- isn't a great stat by any means but when you're a +15 in an 8 game tournament and the next highest in the tournament is a +8... that's pretty insane. Then he puts together a fantastic finish to his OHL season and followed it up with a real strong playoffs before his injury.

Before this most recent season it was a legit conversation between Avs fans regarding who was the better prospect between Makar and Timmins. Then Makar went and make College hockey his bitch for a year and Timmins didn't get a chance to play again.

IF(A big IF I admit) Timmins can come back this season and not miss a beat... I really dont think there's very many Defensive prospects in the league above him. I think he's that good. I'd have him in the Top 20 for overall prospects no question if he regains form and builds off his D+1 season.

As for Kaut. I agree he's nowhere near Necas. I personally think he's inside a Top 100 list, probably in the 90-100 range for me but I also agree very little separates prospects at that point so I dont think its a big deal that he's off the list. Though again I'd have him well above Bowers at this point which is where I'd take an issue with the Avs rankings.

Basically you have what 4 Avs prospects on that list I think... With Makar at #5, Byram at #8, Newhook at #55 and Bowers at #98...

For me the 4 prospects I would have listed would be Makar(And he'd be #2 for me), Byram(#5 for me), Timmins(He'd be in that 20-30 range on my list), and then Newhook(I'd have him around #75 I think).

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Other than MTL prospects, which do you find utterly ridiculous?

And FWIW, I am quite high on MTL prospect pool as a group. It is quite deep. I just don't see that top, elite prospect in their system at any position.
Poehling, Romanov, Brook, Ylonen way too low and no Primeau not even cracking that list is ridiculous as far as Habs prospects are concerned...

Farabee, Broberg, Seider, Dach and Knight should be much higher to name few... If thats a list based on long term projections, thats a really bad one...

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I enjoyed reading the list, although I do think you overvalued Jack Hughes by a lot.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Primeau at 17th hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, okay, the 2 times best Goalie in the NCAA and best u20 US goalie is 17th. LOL

Relax so so so much.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Nice effort here. Seems like you’ve invested a lot of time.

Do you have any plans to share your ratings for your ranked players?

I think some Flyers fans would have Myers ranked higher than a few of the other Philly prospects. Curious to know your thoughts on him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As a hab fan this post is simply embarrassing. I am not a big fan of this list however there is no reason to act like a child because someone doesn't think as highly as you do about our prospects lol.

I understand the hate towards our fan base now

I always hate when Wild posters make a bad name for the fanbase, and I see that's the same among all fanbases. You said it well.

Favin seems to have come in level headed and knowing that some people will always take exception to rankings that they don't agree with. Personally, I don't agree with everything on the list, and I actually think he's got a couple Wild prospects rated too high (or maybe I'm just jaded?), but a lot of work clearly went into the making of that list, and it's a respectable one. No one will ever post a 100% correct list because no one can predict the future. Getting upset about that seems particularly short sighted. Thank you for posting your thoughts Favin, I've appreciated reading them.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Pretty solid list. You do a list that big and everyone will disagree with something, it's dumb complaining about 1 little thing. Just 1 question regarding age, and I'm well aware this discussion is a sensitive topic on here so I'm not criticizing any answer, or trying to tell anyone what way is correct I'm just curious. You mention age with an example, did you just go by their current numerical age or their draft year, of birth year? Because your example was Hirose v. Bracco and while their current numerical ages are the same(for 2 more days) their draft and birth years are different, most people would consider them a year apart so I just thought it was a strange example to pick.
Good question. A players probability of reaching their peak shrinks if they have spent a few years in professional hockey and haven't progressed. But it is hard to penalize a player if they have been playing collegiate hockey. Taro Hirose, the example I used, would have been a 2014 draftee. He was not penalized. Whereas a guy like Michael Dal Colle, who was a 2014 draftee and was eligible for this list, falls to number #299 since he has had 3+ seasons at AHL without progression towards NHL. (Also, goalies are treated different as well).

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Pretty ok list. Couple weird ones but that’s expected. Everyone’s list will be different. But as a Rangers fan, I will say I think you’re underrating K’Andre Miller. He has a high floor and an even higher ceiling. I have him up there with Kravtsov. Can’t decide who I like better. Just my two cents. Also, how is Hughes a whole tier above Kakko? I understand ranking him higher, but a whole tier higher?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You missed Filip Larsson in your top 25 goalie prospects. He's a better prospect than more than half of your goalie list. He is still relatively unknown, but he's going to open up some eyes this season.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Extremely frustrating reading these disrespectful and childish comments. If your opinion is that much better then enlighten us all and post your own damn list.

Where did you have Juolevi and Woo? I'd argue they both should crack the top 25 for their positions, Woo especially.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Extremely frustrating reading these disrespectful and childish comments. If your opinion is that much better then enlighten us all and post your own damn list.

Where did you have Juolevi and Woo? I'd argue they both should crack the top 25 for their positions, Woo especially.
Yeah Woo still isn't 19 and he was more impressive this season than a lot of guys on that list who are older than him.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Pretty ok list. Couple weird ones but that’s expected. Everyone’s list will be different. But as a Rangers fan, I will say I think you’re underrating K’Andre Miller. He has a high floor and an even higher ceiling. I have him up there with Kravtsov. Can’t decide who I like better. Just my two cents. Also, how is Hughes a whole tier above Kakko? I understand ranking him higher, but a whole tier higher?
K'Andre Miller is certainly one of the guys I keep telling myself, "Favin, he should be higher".

Also, somewhat related, his defensive partner, Ty Emberson, is one of my favorite prospects in all of college hockey. People should keep on eye on him. Very solid player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad