Value of: Faulk to Tampa

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We have 2.65 in space with a full roster. We swap Faulk for Johnson and we have 2.8. if we do the Dotchin for Wallmark part we get close to 3mil in space. So no cap issues and more than enough to make moves throughout the year. We can easily go 11/7 and play Coburn and Girardi. Either way teams at the deadline are always adding a vet on an expiring deal like Coburn or Girardi so this way we don't have to make a depth move at the deadline.

As for Johnson we can move Gourde up to replace him on the 2nd line. We have a plethora of NHL ready wings who could go on the 3rd line and give us solid production. We lose a little offense up top but add a lot on the backend which we lost once Stralman lost his offensive game. Would let McDonagh not have to carry a heavy offensive load as well. It also allows us to resign Gourde as it will be hard right now with Johnson on the team.
and also, when stralman walks we keep a quality rhd in faulk and can roll hedman-foote mcdonagh-sergachev and koekkoek-faulk in 19-20

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
We have 2.65 in space with a full roster. We swap Faulk for Johnson and we have 2.8. if we do the Dotchin for Wallmark part we get close to 3mil in space. So no cap issues and more than enough to make moves throughout the year. We can easily go 11/7 and play Coburn and Girardi. Either way teams at the deadline are always adding a vet on an expiring deal like Coburn or Girardi so this way we don't have to make a depth move at the deadline.

As for Johnson we can move Gourde up to replace him on the 2nd line. We have a plethora of NHL ready wings who could go on the 3rd line and give us solid production. We lose a little offense up top but add a lot on the backend which we lost once Stralman lost his offensive game. Would let McDonagh not have to carry a heavy offensive load as well. It also allows us to resign Gourde as it will be hard right now with Johnson on the team.

We've wasted enough of Koekkoek's development. He needs play time and he isn't going to get it unless we move a defenseman. I'm not saying Faulk isn't a benefit, I'm saying this asinine idea to have Coburn sit, Koekkoek sit, and possibly Dotchin sit is ridiculously dumb management. Removing Johnson's output without replacing that output might hurt. Faulk might be able to prevent as many goals against that equals Johnson's output. But leaving damn near 6 million dollars of cap in the press box is just plain dumb.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
and also, when stralman walks we keep a quality rhd in faulk and can roll hedman-foote mcdonagh-sergachev and koekkoek-faulk in 19-20
Cool, let's see how Foote does with a full season in the AHL before we pencil him in on the top pairing. And we have f***ed around Koekkoek for 4 years (not including the 2 years in junior he played). The guy is 24 years old, barely gets play time with us. His value will continue to plummet at this point and we are asking him to wait out another year for his shot at the bottom pair. This all sounds fantastic.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Cool, let's see how Foote does with a full season in the AHL before we pencil him in on the top pairing. And we have ****ed around Koekkoek for 4 years (not including the 2 years in junior he played). The guy is 24 years old, barely gets play time with us. His value will continue to plummet at this point and we are asking him to wait out another year for his shot at the bottom pair. This all sounds fantastic.

It was rumoured that sens offered a pick(think it may have been a 2nd for slater last season) and yzerman rejected the deal. If a deal can be done for karlsson I wouldn’t be surprised to see him included. Wouldn’t mind Faulk tbf.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We've wasted enough of Koekkoek's development. He needs play time and he isn't going to get it unless we move a defenseman. I'm not saying Faulk isn't a benefit, I'm saying this asinine idea to have Coburn sit, Koekkoek sit, and possibly Dotchin sit is ridiculously dumb management. Removing Johnson's output without replacing that output might hurt. Faulk might be able to prevent as many goals against that equals Johnson's output. But leaving damn near 6 million dollars of cap in the press box is just plain dumb.

Koekkoek and Dotchin sat half of last season and are going to do the same this season if not more. They are 7th and 8th on the depth charts so they aren't playing unless someone gets hurt. The only platwrs who might get affected are Coburn and Girardi but that might not be a bad thing. Girardi looked a bit wore down in the playoffs so splitting those twos games will keep them fresher for the postseason. We will need to move a forward in between now and next year so getting a proven commodity over futures is a better option since we have a good prospect pool. Johnson seems the most logical as he lost his spot at center and we have cheaper wingers to replace him.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It was rumoured that sens offered a pick(think it may have been a 2nd for slater last season) and yzerman rejected the deal. If a deal can be done for karlsson I wouldn’t be surprised to see him included. Wouldn’t mind Faulk tbf.
I mentioned before, if we move for Karlsson, we move a defenseman or two to acquire him, which opens up space. I also think Faulk would be good for us, but it only makes sense if we move a defenseman. We are up to the tits with playable defensemen. But we end up sitting way too much money that could be used else where.

Reactions: Cmac66

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Koekkoek and Dotchin sat half of last season and are going to do the same this season if not more. They are 7th and 8th on the depth charts so they aren't playing unless someone gets hurt. The only platwrs who might get affected are Coburn and Girardi but that might not be a bad thing. Girardi looked a bit wore down in the playoffs so splitting those twos games will keep them fresher for the postseason. We will need to move a forward in between now and next year so getting a proven commodity over futures is a better option since we have a good prospect pool. Johnson seems the most logical as he lost his spot at center and we have cheaper wingers to replace him.
Dotchin has lost his place for sure. Koekkoek hasn't because we aren't even sure what we have in him after 6 years. Our defense isn't this dumpster fire.

Yes, Johnson and Killorn are the two most sensible movable pieces. I just believe if we make this trade it needs a third party to move a defenseman.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Dotchin has lost his place for sure. Koekkoek hasn't because we aren't even sure what we have in him after 6 years. Our defense isn't this dumpster fire.

Yes, Johnson and Killorn are the two most sensible movable pieces. I just believe if we make this trade it needs a third party to move a defenseman.

My first post was that I thought it didn't make sense because we have too many defenders. I had us sending Dotchin back in the deal and looking to move Coburn or Girardi. I just wouldn't move them for a mid round pick just to move Koekkoek up to the 7th D instead of 8th. Faulk makes our team better than Koekkoek so I would get him at the expense of Koekkoek not getting a fair shot. Koekkoek isn't really gonna get a shot too much this year anyway without an injury or two. Our defense isn't bad but could use more offense from the back and Faulk is really good at that.

Reactions: DFC

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
As a Canes fan I think value isn't far off but Johnson doesn't exactly excite me. He doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade on Rask while using our last good trade chip (don't get me started). I would rather try to trade Faulk for someone a little younger than Johnson with 60 pt offensive upside rather than 50 pt. Would be willing to add a little to do it.

RE Rask he played all last year with a bad shoulder injury but I would expect him to be a 45-50 point player if healthy. Do TB fans think Johnson is more than a 20g 25-30a player away from Kucherov?

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
As a Canes fan I think value isn't far off but Johnson doesn't exactly excite me. He doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade on Rask while using our last good trade chip (don't get me started). I would rather try to trade Faulk for someone a little younger than Johnson with 60 pt offensive upside rather than 50 pt. Would be willing to add a little to do it.

RE Rask he played all last year with a bad shoulder injury but I would expect him to be a 45-50 point player if healthy. Do TB fans think Johnson is more than a 20g 25-30a player away from Kucherov?
Johnson does have 60 point upside, and didn’t play with Kuch this year. He played with Killorn which isn’t a good fit. He was super hot when he was on Point’s wing in December and January. Could be ideally a winger who can take some center responsibility, I like his fit next to Aho, with them playing center interchangeably. Aho is similarly creative to Point so a North-south type player like Johnson could work well as a finisher with Aho.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I would actually say the opposite, he is streaky. His highest highs were the best on the team and hes got a world class wrist shot and speed, also turns it on in the playoffs. Problem is he has long stretches of being invisible, mostly due to a lack of creativity and size for puck retrieval.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stick him with a creative linemate and he will give you 30 goals and at least as many assists. I expect Palat/Miller-Point-Johnson will have a hell of a season next year

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Hedman-Faulk
McDonagh-Stralman
Sergachev-Girardi

Or could flip Hedman and Stralman, or move Serg to the right, there’s options.

It does weaken our third line as

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Gourde
Killorn-Cirelli-Conacher
Erne-Paquette-Callahan

Is weaker but if cirelli can build on his success from last season it should be fine

Very scary defence

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd keep Johnson, as I think TB need him more for depth up front, and they're already pretty good on D for this upcoming season, then have a lot of money coming off the books with three Dmen who are set to be UFAs.

They should wait for the TDL and see if they can make a reasonable deal for Karlsson (and have an agreed extension in place). Johnson, TB's top D prospect (Cal Foote?), and TB's next 2 first rounders should be a decent start -- of course it would take more, just not sure exactly what. You know OTT would have big interest in Johnson as he's cheap, signed long term at that cheap contract, and is an effective top-6 forward (but more important to OTT/Melnyk that he's cheap, probably), maybe including one of those UFA Dmen in the deal to open up cap for the deal. So I'd be telling Dorion to sit tight and give him a general idea of what you would give for Karlsson at the TDL, and hope it's worth it to him. Maybe make a bigger deal that includes Stone and really go for it, though probably not realistic with the cap, but just a thought. That'd be my plan, but Stevie is probably a better GM than I'd ever be, so I can't pretend to know better or try to tell him what he should do.

All that aside, I don't think Fault pushes TB over the edge. It's kind of squandering Johnson when they could include him in a package for a better Dman, even if it's not Karlsson.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'd keep Johnson, as I think TB need him more for depth up front, and they're already pretty good on D for this upcoming season, then have a lot of money coming off the books with three Dmen who are set to be UFAs.

They should wait for the TDL and see if they can make a reasonable deal for Karlsson (and have an agreed extension in place). Johnson and TB's next 2 first rounders should be a decent start (of course it would take more, just not sure exactly what). You know OTT would have big interest in Johnson as he's cheap, signed long term at that cheap contract, and is an effective top-6 forward (but more important to OTT/Melnyk that he's cheap, probably), maybe including one of those UFA Dmen in the deal to open up cap for the deal. So I'd be telling Dorion to sit tight and give him a general idea of what you would give for Karlsson at the TDL, and hope it's worth it to him. That'd be my plan, but Stevie is probably a better GM than I'd ever be, so I can't pretend to know better or try to tell him what he should do.

But I don't think Fault pushes TB over the edge. It's kind of squandering Johnson when they could include him in a package for a better Dman, even if it's not Karlsson.
I don’t see Ottawa doing that

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, from Carolina's perspective, I'm not sure why Johnson makes sense at this point in time. Seems kind of lateral.

In terms of points, a healthy Johnson is a pretty solid bet for 50. He might not always get there, but he's streaky, with a shooting percentage all over the place. So it's also pretty reasonable to imagine him coming out on the high side as often as the low.

He's kind of become your average, undersized 2C in today's NHL. A lot of teams could use somebody like him, but you're gonna be building around other players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

They should wait for the TDL and see if they can make a reasonable deal for Karlsson (and have an agreed extension in place). Johnson, TB's top D prospect (Cal Foote?), and TB's next 2 first rounders should be a decent start -- of course it would take more, just not sure exactly what. You know OTT would have big interest in Johnson as he's cheap, signed long term at that cheap contract, and is an effective top-6 forward (but more important to OTT/Melnyk that he's cheap, probably), maybe including one of those UFA Dmen in the deal to open up cap for the deal. So I'd be telling Dorion to sit tight and give him a general idea of what you would give for Karlsson at the TDL, and hope it's worth it to him. Maybe make a bigger deal that includes Stone and really go for it, though probably not realistic with the cap, but just a thought. That'd be my plan, but Stevie is probably a better GM than I'd ever be, so I can't pretend to know better or try to tell him what he should do.

All that aside, I don't think Fault pushes TB over the edge. It's kind of squandering Johnson when they could include him in a package for a better Dman, even if it's not Karlsson.

I agree on the first part, although Faulk is a Dman that would make a lot of sense for TB, and I'd deal Johnson for him if given the opportunity. But I do think TB is more likely to keep Johnson, and take some time to evaluate our D under Todd Richards, rather than Rick Bowness.

On the second part, I think it's a pipe dream that Johnson would waive for Ottawa, under any circumstances. Same as just about every other player in a good situation with a NTC. Ottawa has become the NHL's least desirable destination.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The deal itself, or waiting? If it's the deal, how about Johnson, Foote and two 1st round picks as a starting point? Dump one of the UFA Dmen to open up cap space if needed.

That’s a massive overpayment for an impending UFA. Johnson is worth more than a first on his own so you’re talking over four firsts for a guy with only a year left on his contract. And no, the idea that Karlsson might agree to a post-trade extension does not bring his value anywhere near that level. Zero chance Tampa does anything close to that.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
what would it take ya think? Canes are one of my favorite teams and I like them but not rly sure what they would want for Faulk. Johnson seems like a solid base of a deal, since he has C and W versatility and is fast. Hedman-Faulk sounds fun as hell and adding another RHD gives Tampa a lot of lineup flexibility.
Take a drink everytime Dominic says a team is one of his favourite teams.

Faulk For Johnson seems alright to me.
Done.

I thought Tampa was good on RD with Stralman Sergachev Moore and Cernak
Sounds to me like you are under the impression that a team can't have enough defensemen.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The deal itself, or waiting? If it's the deal, how about Johnson, Foote and two 1st round picks as a starting point? Dump one of the UFA Dmen to open up cap space if needed.
The deal itself. The later deal makes more sense for them but they probably want serg

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree on the first part, although Faulk is a Dman that would make a lot of sense for TB, and I'd deal Johnson for him if given the opportunity. But I do think TB is more likely to keep Johnson, and take some time to evaluate our D under Todd Richards, rather than Rick Bowness.

On the second part, I think it's a pipe dream that Johnson would waive for Ottawa, under any circumstances. Same as just about every other player in a good situation with a NTC. Ottawa has become the NHL's least desirable destination.

Ah, I didn't know Johnson had a NTC. That changes things then. Probably wouldn't even waive to go to CAR in that case, but they're not in quite as bad a situation, so maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad