Value of: Faulk to Tampa

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
That’s a massive overpayment for an impending UFA. Johnson is worth more than a first on his own so you’re talking over four firsts for a guy with only a year left on his contract. And no, the idea that Karlsson might agree to a post-trade extension does not bring his value anywhere near that level. Zero chance Tampa does anything close to that.

I mentioned that if they have an extension already agreed with Karlsson, only then make the trade for the assets I mentioned. Yeah, I think it would be too much for a rental for sure, even as good as Karlsson is. If OTT wants a big return, I think they'll have to let Karlsson talk to prospective teams to get an extension agreed upon first, or else they're probably not going to get as much as they hope.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Agree, I only move Serg if it’s a trade and sign with a negotiated extension before the deal

Even that doesn’t come close to Serg’s value. Any extension is between Karlsson and his new team; the Senators are still only selling a year of his services. The possibility of an extension might encourage teams to bid a little higher in the event that there’s a bidding war between multiple teams with which he’s willing to extend, but that’s it - it doesn’t bring his value anywhere near what it would be with him already signed to a longterm deal.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I mentioned that if they have an extension already agreed with Karlsson, only then make the trade for the assets I mentioned. Yeah, I think it would be too much for a rental for sure, even as good as Karlsson is.

Again, Karlsson agreeing on extension does not equate to him already being signed to that deal with no need to be moved. The Sens have a year of Karlsson’s services to sell, no more.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Even that doesn’t come close to Serg’s value. Any extension is between Karlsson and his new team; the Senators are still only selling a year of his services. The possibility of an extension might encourage teams to bid a little higher in the event that there’s a bidding war between multiple teams with which he’s willing to extend, but that’s it - it doesn’t bring his value anywhere near what it would be with him already signed to a longterm deal.
I agree but his value with a long term deal is >> Serg

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Agreed but it adds something to his value. Maybe not making it Serg+++ but Serg+.

It adds a little bit above his rental value if and only if there are multiple teams with which he’s willing to resign and they get in a bidding war. The possibility of an extension could entice them to raise their bids above pure rental value because they’d know they’d be getting more than just one year from him. But unless and until that happens his value is nowhere near that high, and given that we already have Hedman I’m not convinced even if the bidding did go that high that Yzerman would give up Serg. And considering that none of the involved teams have reportedly been willing to offer up their top prospect, much less someone like Serg who has already looked very good at the NHL level, there’s simply no rationale for declaring that Karlsson holds such value.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It adds a little bit above his rental value if and only if there are multiple teams with which he’s willing to resign and they get in a bidding war. The possibility of an extension could entice them to raise their bids above pure rental value because they’d know they’d be getting more than just one year from him. But unless and until that happens his value is nowhere near that high, and given that we already have Hedman I’m not convinced even if the bidding did go that high that Yzerman would give up Serg. And considering that none of the involved teams have reportedly been willing to offer up their top prospect, much less someone like Serg who has already looked very good at the NHL level, there’s simply no rationale for declaring that Karlsson holds such value.
My statement was under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
My statement was under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

Even with a bidding war it would be unprecedented in the cap era for an impending UFA’s value to go that high. Granted Karlsson is not your typical impending UFA, but thus far nobody’s reportedly been willing to give up a top prospect who has yet to see the NHL, much less a young defenseman who just scored 40 points as a 19yo rookie. There is simply no historical or rational basis to think that Karlsson has anywhere near that sort of value at this point.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, from Carolina's perspective, I'm not sure why Johnson makes sense at this point in time. Seems kind of lateral.

In terms of points, a healthy Johnson is a pretty solid bet for 50. He might not always get there, but he's streaky, with a shooting percentage all over the place. So it's also pretty reasonable to imagine him coming out on the high side as often as the low.

He's kind of become your average, undersized 2C in today's NHL. A lot of teams could use somebody like him, but you're gonna be building around other players.

Does TB have any high end goalie prospects? How about a young offensive C prospect with good value? I don't know anything about your prospect pool.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Does TB have any high end goalie prospects? How about a young offensive C prospect with good value? I don't know anything about your prospect pool.
We have Connor Ingram (goalie) who just had a respectable first AHL season at age 19/20. Not sure if I’d move him though, Tampa’s goalie pool is rather weak.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We have Connor Ingram (goalie) who just had a respectable first AHL season at age 19/20. Not sure if I’d move him though, Tampa’s goalie pool is rather weak.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

No high end goalie prospects. Connor Ingram looks like he'll be a decent back up. Our best potential center prospect is Alex Barre Boulet, looks like a high risk high reward type guy, far from a sure thing. Most of our prospect value is D and wingers.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Nothing really on the G side. Some decent C prospects. Not top-end.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

We aren't trading any top end goalie prospects or center ones for Faulk. Karlsson we would but not Faulk, he doesn't get those types. We also have to do a cap neutral trade or one where we gain cap space as we can't afford Faulk without salary going back.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No high end goalie prospects. Connor Ingram looks like he'll be a decent back up. Our best potential center prospect is Alex Barre Boulet, looks like a high risk high reward type guy, far from a sure thing. Most of our prospect value is D and wingers.
Cirelli is still a prospect. Wouldn't put Barre-Boulet over Stephens, either. Barre-Boulet is in that group with Somppi and Verhaege of boom-bust type guys (that always seem to boom with us).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think TB sticks with who they have, unless they acquire Karlsson somehow. As others have pointed out, they have a stacked team as it is. Relatively injury free, TB can win its division or at the very least get a wild card. You can win a cup with this roster. However, SY will always look to improve. If there is a deal that makes sense he will do it. He also has a decent prospect pool to help keep the roster maintained for the future. I think he loves that, so I dont see us parting with much either way. Which you have to give to get, just dont see SY willing to give too much when he really doesnt need to at this point. We probably look and see what else we need at the deadline if we do make anymore pickups. I have it as a slim chance we make a move before the seasons starts.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Take a drink everytime Dominic says a team is one of his favourite teams.

Done.

Sounds to me like you are under the impression that a team can't have enough defensemen.

He's just a little salty because a TB fan from the Karlsson thread told him we were good on RD in the future, so he likes to bring it up constantly.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Makes a lot of sense for both

Hedman - Starlman
McDonagh - Faulk
Sergachev - Dotchin/Girardi

Is Unreal

Also, Johnson would look great in a 1A/1B role with the Canes

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Makes a lot of sense for both

Hedman - Starlman
McDonagh - Faulk
Sergachev - Dotchin/Girardi

Is Unreal

Also, Johnson would look great in a 1A/1B role with the Canes

Makes sense for everybody but TJ. Would you waive your NTC to go from a top Cup contender to Carolina (1 year short of missing the Playoffs for a decade straight)? I’m a Canes fans and I sure as hell wouldn’t.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Makes sense for everybody but TJ. Would you waive your NTC to go from a top Cup contender to Carolina (1 year short of missing the Playoffs for a decade straight)? I’m a Canes fans and I sure as hell wouldn’t.
but if your username is accurate the canes are also a cup contender ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad