Value of: Faulk to Tampa

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Im fairly confident SY finds a solution. Hes been great in getting us out of these cap jams.

He has been a cap wizard, that's for sure....and he'll need all of his magical powers come next season.

If you want Miller that’s fine, but I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here considering trading Miller for Faulk does nothing to clear the cap space we need.

Oh, I certainly understand that and I was conflating a discussion of a potential Faulk trade with the Tampa cap situation in the out years. Miller comes up because he's got an NTC that kicks in next season. So you've got more flexibility to move him this season.

That said, a futures deal for Miller would be interesting for the Canes as well. I just think that an active player with perceived value is a more likely scenario. But that does have Cap implications.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Well I think one of Miller, Johnson, or Killorn will go next year. Possibly 2 depending on what other moves we make. It could possibly come down to what the return would be for these guys. Whoever returns the best for our needs would be moved. Could be Johnson. For me it just depends on what we want to do. I love Johnson but if Karlsson wanted to sign here I would trade all 3 of those guys and fill the rest of the roster with ELC guys. We have enough top end talent to spread it throughout the lineup. So really it depends on a few things that we just dont know right now.

Yeah, one of those guys definitely needs to go after next season to afford the players we already have. In a perfect world it would probably be Killorn (though the debate gets interesting when you look at postseason performances), but the only one we can move without the player’s cooperation is Miller and his contract was clearly structured in such a way as to make him easily tradeable (even when his modified NTC kicks in it’s only an eight-team no-trade list) so my assumption at the moment is that he’s the default to go unless Yzerman is able to work something else out.

Now if we can move two of them then we get some extra breathing room against the cap with which to bring in another veteran or to make it easier to extend our depth players when they need new deals. But in doing so I think we need to balance the value of the return and the added cap flexibility against what we would be losing, and unless Johnson is returning something that really helps us it’s probably a net loss for us compared with trading one or both of the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->