Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't understand the logic behind "the team isn't good enough so it shouldn't try to improve."

The issues facing this team are obvious and so are the solutions, but if your GM sits on his hands at key times of the year or doesn't bring in any players who move the needle two offseason's running then yeah, you're going to struggle when your top guys get shut down.

Do you genuinely think the Oilers got outplayed yesterday?
McDavid was entirely shut down and predictably the rest of the lineup did nothing. Winnipeg played their game plan and it was enough for them to win.

Maybe I'm wrong and Winnipeg lucked out but I guess we will see next game.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Dude, I am looking at the figure and what a disingenuous way to explain it. Home plate shots by my count are 12-7 in favour of the Oilers for starters. Shots below the top of faceoff circles is an LOL way to summarize this considering it includes 2 of Kyle Connor's muffins off the rush from well out and a few prayers thrown from poor angles. Also, shots are counted by last opponent contact, and you can clearly see the Toninato tip on Stanley point shot appropriately labelled near net front (one of 7 Jets home plate shots). All this figure does is reinforce to me what I saw last night, WPG fairly significantly out-chanced by the Oilers.
How can you call it disingenuous when I explained exactly what I counted? In my opinion, the Oilers outshot the Jets, but I feel the Oilers were on the perimeter too much (which was the context of me looking up shot locations in the first place) and good chances from what I consider scoring positions were a wash between the two teams. Hellebyuk didn’t have to put on a show.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the Oilers are so great then this series should be a cakewalk from here on out.

I look forward for all the excuses about why the Oilers lose.

This team is not built for playoffs period and our stars can't do it on their own and it's been 5 years since they really have tried, and 5 years ago they had a much better team.
Maybe throttle it back and take a deep breath. A real good fan you are.:thumbd::help: It's ONE game, and it could have gone either way, and based on chances and zone play, we were the better team. And give the Jets some credit, unless you were one of the ones that thought we'd steamroll them. They are a very good team and a formidable opponent.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Smith also absent from practice; no word if it's rest or something else.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How can you call it disingenuous when I explained exactly what I counted? In my opinion, the Oilers outshot the Jets, but I feel the Oilers were on the perimeter too much (which was the context of me looking up shot locations in the first place) and good chances from what I consider scoring positions were a wash between the two teams. Hellebyuk didn’t have to put on a show.
It reminded me a lot of how the Sharks used to play. On paper it looked like they dominated, but it was more just volume over actual quality.

Reactions: BudBundy

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi forechecking on a line together has to be a nightmare for the Jets defense.

I wanted to run Yamamoto - McDavid - Puljujarvi on a line together earlier in the year, with Nuge - Draisaitl - Kahun behind them.

I don't actually mind these lines tbh.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi forechecking on a line together has to be a nightmare for the Jets defense.

I wanted to run Yamamoto - McDavid - Puljujarvi on a line together earlier in the year, with Nuge - Draisaitl - Kahun behind them.

I don't actually mind these lines tbh.
It would be fine if there was an NHL quality center on that line. Nuge can't play center at this level and find success anymore.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McDavid was entirely shut down and predictably the rest of the lineup did nothing. Winnipeg played their game plan and it was enough for them to win.

Maybe I'm wrong and Winnipeg lucked out but I guess we will see next game.

If Winnipeg's game plan is to get outplayed, outshot, outchanced and hope they can keep Mcdavid bottled up, I wish them good fortune in the wars to come.

Reactions: GOilers88

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That Colorado series isn't even close to rugby on ice, for the record. It's open and loose aside from big open ice checks.

Notably because game 1 had both teams get 5 PPs a piece.

Our series has been the only one that's really resembled rugby on ice in the slightest. The bolts have gotten 8 pp's from holding, hooking, or interference this far, if we're keeping score.

Interesting. I generally can only watch Oilers games for various life reasons I won't get into here, so I don't get to see how the other series are being reffed. I was somewhat assuming they are all like this. So we are the only series getting screwed over with this boring-ass style?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It would be fine if there was an NHL quality center on that line. Nuge can't play center at this level and find success anymore.

In the 2 games where he centered Kahun and Yamamoto he looked pretty good.

He definitely has to step up though, hopefully having two workhorses on his line will help energize him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kahun
Yamamoto - RNH - Puljujarvi

Nuge hasn’t pissed a drop centering his own line all year and Yamamoto is forced to play his off-wing, which I don’t recall him ever doing. Hopefully Tippett is just trolling here because those lines look panic-induced. Roll the same lines as last night and just tell the wingers not named Jesse to grow a pair.

*edit- the more I look the worse it gets. Has Kahun played his off wing at any point this year? WTF Tip??!

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gross. I don’t like that top 6 deployment at all.

upload_2021-5-20_12-31-47.jpeg

Pulju being on top line allows the line to be a seek, kill, and destroy line. Leaving Kahun up still allows the Jets to jump on weakest link as @Aerrol has stated.

I mean there is a hope that Pulju can elevate Nuges EV play and maybe stir some things up in there.

Maybe it works.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Winnipeg's game plan is to get outplayed, outshot, outchanced and hope they can keep Mcdavid bottled up, I wish them good fortune in the wars to come.
It's worked so far. They contained McDavids line perfectly. He had nothing going

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In the 2 games where he centered Kahun and Yamamoto he looked pretty good.

He definitely has to step up though, hopefully having two workhorses on his line will help energize him.
"Looking good" matters for nothing if your line doesn't actually generate. Playoffs aren't a time for moral victories and "visibly" better.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Honestly, if I'm the Jets, last night's game is exactly what I hope for. Puting all of their effort shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl, while hoping to grind out a goal more than the Oilers, is pretty much the Jets' only hope of winning. I bet their gameplan is exactly this--grind out ugly one goal games while shutting down McDrai.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Practice lines were

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kahun
Yamamoto - RNH - Puljujarvi

That's a panic move from Tippett.

Truth be told, I really like those lines, with the assumption that Kahun and Yams are comfortable playing on their off-wings. That's always been the reason these lines were never tried.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly, if I'm the Jets, last night's game is exactly what I hope for. Puting all of their effort shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl, while hoping to grind out a goal more than the Oilers, is pretty much the Jets' only hope of winning. I bet their gameplan is exactly this--grind out ugly one goal games while shutting down McDrai.
If they can shutdown McDrai they win by default cause the rest of the lineup sure as hell isn't going to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad