Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I think were going to win this series but the biggest thing is going to come down to intensity. Jets clearly decided they were going to hit everything that moves.

Everyone needs to do better.
Hello Zach where are you?
Smith did well but you cant let out that rebound in a 2 1 playoff game.
Guys like Khaira need to be ready to die on the faceoff dot if hes not going to contribute more.
Darnell you want a massive contract now is the time to watch some old videos of Pronger in 2006 and see how to get it done.
And 97 29 of course they will have a plan to shut you down. Figure it out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Truth be told, I really like those lines, with the assumption that Kahun and Yams are comfortable playing on their off-wings. That's always been the reason these lines were never tried.
I mean you have 2 centers and a winger on one line and 3 wingers on the other. Not a great look.

Reactions: BudBundy

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
"Looking good" matters for nothing if your line doesn't actually generate. Playoffs aren't a time for moral victories and "visibly" better.

Nah. If your second line looks good matched up against the opposition's second line, it probably means they're at least breaking even on the scoresheet, which is perfectly acceptable when you have McDrai together on another line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nah. If your second line looks good matched up against the opposition's second line, it probably means they're at least breaking even on the scoresheet, which is perfectly acceptable when you have McDrai together on another line.
When you have a line with Nuge as center, you can spend your entire time shutting down the top line cause the bottom 6 ain't scoring and either is Nuges line

Reactions: BudBundy

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I mean you have 2 centers and a winger on one line and 3 wingers on the other. Not a great look.

I mean ideally I would keep the top-6 from last game intact, but all I'm saying is I much, much prefer this to the Kahun-Nuge-Yams nonsense Tippett loved to go to earlier.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Draisaitl was the guy driving the playoffs for the Oil that year, not McDavid.

This is true, that and the team in general was able to ramp it up to playoff hockey. They had a different energy about them that year too. Kassian was engaged, Sekera was solid, Caggiula was involved, Maroon was engaged, Letestu was clutch, even guys like Slepyshev and Desharnais brought more than guys like Khaira.

Connor put up great numbers in the play-in but by the eye he has not been a good player in the playoffs or the play-in (to his standards) other than a few flashes in a few games. That's how deadly he can be but he needs to learn to bring it in his all of his 20 mins a games. Control the play all over the ice, not just waiting passively to get a jump for open ice and odd man rushes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean ideally I would keep the top-6 from last game intact, but all I'm saying is I much, much prefer this to the Kahun-Nuge-Yams nonsense Tippett loved to go to earlier.
Fair. Any line with Nuge as the center though isn't going to get much done. They may be a good third line that won't get scored in but they won't be a second line with scoring ability.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Disagree (particularly with Puljujarvi and Yams both on that line). That line can score imo.
Yamamoto cannot score this year and he and Nuge have been abysmal 5v5 this year. Puljujarvi is the only guy on that line worth a damn.
If you are going to have only one line that can score then give them a better chance and slide Puljujarvi back up

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
"Looking good" matters for nothing if your line doesn't actually generate. Playoffs aren't a time for moral victories and "visibly" better.

They scored a goal together and generated chances. It was a small sample size but it might still be worth a shot.

I was just looking at their line stats together and I found something interesting. (It's most likely because Yams gets time with McDavid/Drai when not with Nuge/Kahun, but nonetheless interesting).

Kahun GF/GA w/o Nuge + Yams: 8 GF 12 GA
Nuge GF/GA w/o Kahun + Yams: 24 GF 24 GA
Yams GF/GA w/o Kahun + Nuge: 14 GF 5 GA

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly, if I'm the Jets, last night's game is exactly what I hope for. Puting all of their effort shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl, while hoping to grind out a goal more than the Oilers, is pretty much the Jets' only hope of winning. I bet their gameplan is exactly this--grind out ugly one goal games while shutting down McDrai.

Well yeah. Of course that is their game plan. I wonder if Tippett is trying to counter with doubling up McDrai to make it all but impossible for them to win that battle. He might be just saying "okay, they are going to play together, and play 25 mins", and then hoping to get a little lucky and have a saw-off for the other 35 mins of the game. Winnipeg's bottom 6 is VASTLY superior to ours though, so I don't know if I like that option. Tippett could basically employ the same method against their bottom-6 as the Jets did against McDrai last night though. Don't even *attempt* to score with your bottom-6, defense, defense, defense. Not sure our bottom 6 is even good enough for that, but it might be worth a try. It also won't work when the Jets get last change, but that is a game 3/4 problem.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well yeah. Of course that is their game plan. I wonder if Tippett is trying to counter with doubling up McDrai to make it all but impossible for them to win that battle. He might be just saying "okay, they are going to play together, and play 25 mins", and then hoping to get a little lucky and have a saw-off for the other 35 mins of the game. Winnipeg's bottom 6 is VASTLY superior to ours though, so I don't know if I like that option. Tippett could basically employ the same method against their bottom-6 as the Jets did against McDrai last night though. Don't even *attempt* to score with your bottom-6, defense, defense, defense. Not sure our bottom 6 is even good enough for that, but it might be worth a try. It also won't work when the Jets get last change, but that is a game 3/4 problem.
Doubling up makes it worse as then you have 3 lines that are going to outscore you opposed to one.

Over 7 games can McDrai outscore 3/4 of the Jets lines on their own 5v5? Cause that's what they will have to do.

Yamamoto - Nuge - Puljujarvi is probably at the same level as the Jets third line too with how Nuge and Yamamoto have played this year.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Right, but in my opinion the Jets' strategy is a reason why I don't put much stock in the statistical metrics that indicate that the Oilers were the better team. If I'm Maurice, I would barely give a damn about those stats.

Reactions: HK97 and Drivesaitl

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly, if I'm the Jets, last night's game is exactly what I hope for. Puting all of their effort shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl, while hoping to grind out a goal more than the Oilers, is pretty much the Jets' only hope of winning. I bet their gameplan is exactly this--grind out ugly one goal games while shutting down McDrai.

Very true. We've seen how opposing teams can have success vs the Oil (Montreal, Leafs etc). Just make it really grindy and shut down Connor and Drai making them have to work in tighter spaces and doing simpler and uglier things because they know they (especially Connor) instinctually wants to make the fast open ice pretty plays.

Connor needs to learn how to get ugly when it's necessary and grind out some fugly goals. Get pucks to the net and crash the net. This will then eventually open up ice for the prettier plays as the opposing team collapses to their net more to contain rebounds and players and are less aggressive on the puck carrier.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
This, every other series has shown the refs have direct orders not to call anything that isn’t murder.

Anyone crying about the refs, the Jets got 0 PP’s last night, they easily could have had a few also. This is a team that has struggled at 5v5 for 2 years now, it’s a good test for them

The problem is if they called penalties the way they are in other series' it would have benefitted the Oilers. There have been 76 total powerplays across the 13 games in the other series which equals 5.85 powerplays per game (2.92 per team). Of those 76 powerplays, 46 of the penalty calls were for tripping, hooking, slashing, holding, interference or crosschecking.

In the regular season the Oilers were drawing 3.51 penalties per game (11th in the league) and the median team was drawing 3.40 penalties per game. So even if you go by the amount of penalties being drawn in the postseason and adjust down 0.48 penalties drawn/game the Oilers should be drawing on average 3 penalties per playoff game.

Yes there is variation in penalties called from one game to the next but it favours Winnipeg if the refs are going to allow lots of holding, hooking, interference, etc. because it limits the skill advantage that McDavid and Draisaitl have which gives any team that plays against the Oilers a better chance to win. Considering there were no penalties for clutching and grabbing despite Winnipeg doing plenty of it, a blatant elbow on Yamo 20 feet from the ref, the high stick on Yamo which drew blood only getting 2 minutes, and a couple clear trips on Oilers' players, yeah I think Oilers fans have a right to be frustrated about the officiating especially given the Oilers have the #1 powerplay in the league.

The Oilers were +29 in goals for and against during the regular season. If you take away the powerplay the Oilers at even strength had 120 goals for and 120 against this year (115 for at 5vs5, 116 against at 5vs5). So way better chance for the opposition to beat the Oilers if the refs put their whistles away, which clearly the refs in the other series' are not doing for the most part. It's one game so we'll see how the rest of the series goes, but a continued lack of calls would be unacceptable.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Right, but in my opinion the Jets' strategy is a reason why I don't put much stock in the statistical metrics that indicate that the Oilers were the better team. If I'm Maurice, I would barely give a damn about those stats.

Oh for sure. The entire idea of how the Jets played last night is predicated on:
- your goalie being better
- giving up more chances, but making sure those chances aren't the "high danger" variety
- hoping to muck out a goal or 2 from your bottom 6

Those factors will inevitably lead to the fancy stats leaning towards the other team. I would argue that this strategy is also depending on the refs putting the whistles away and not calling much in the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is true, that and the team in general was able to ramp it up to playoff hockey. They had a different energy about them that year too. Kassian was engaged, Sekera was solid, Caggiula was involved, Maroon was engaged, Letestu was clutch, even guys like Slepyshev and Desharnais brought more than guys like Khaira.

Connor put up great numbers in the play-in but by the eye he has not been a good player in the playoffs or the play-in (to his standards) other than a few flashes in a few games. That's how deadly he can be but he needs to learn to bring it in his all of his 20 mins a games. Control the play all over the ice, not just waiting passively to get a jump for open ice and odd man rushes.
I think you must have slept through that playoff, other than Drai's 3 goal game in a blowout. McDavid was their best player and it wasn't even close.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The problem is if they called penalties the way they are in other series' it would have benefitted the Oilers. There have been 76 total powerplays across the 13 games in the other series which equals 5.85 powerplays per game (2.92 per team). Of those 76 powerplays, 46 of the penalty calls were for tripping, hooking, slashing, holding, interference or crosschecking.

In the regular season the Oilers were drawing 3.51 penalties per game (11th in the league) and the median team was drawing 3.40 penalties per game. So even if you go by the amount of penalties being drawn in the postseason and adjust down 0.48 penalties drawn/game the Oilers should be drawing on average 3 penalties per playoff game.

Yes there is variation in penalties called from one game to the next but it favours Winnipeg if the refs are going to allow lots of holding, hooking, interference, etc. because it limits the skill advantage that McDavid and Draisaitl have which gives any team that plays against the Oilers a better chance to win. Considering there were no penalties for clutching and grabbing despite Winnipeg doing plenty of it, a blatant elbow on Yamo 20 feet from the ref, the high stick on Yamo which drew blood only getting 2 minutes, and a couple clear trips on Oilers' players, yeah I think Oilers fans have a right to be frustrated about the officiating especially given the Oilers have the #1 powerplay in the league.

The Oilers were +29 in goals for and against during the regular season. If you take away the powerplay the Oilers at even strength had 120 goals for and 120 against this year (115 for at 5vs5, 116 against at 5vs5). So way better chance for the opposition to beat the Oilers if the refs put their whistles away, which clearly the refs in the other series' are not doing for the most part. It's one game so we'll see how the rest of the series goes, but a continued lack of calls would be unacceptable.

Agree completely. If the series doesn't have many penalties called, I can't see a situation where the Oilers can win.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
In a future life I hope to be as succinct.

heh, I was before the internet.

I'm just trying to build my typing speed.

Lol. Was intented to add that in playoffs difference between bad game and good game is growing. Okayish level might get you win on regular season. In playoffs you need to play good game from all four lines and D-men or some of them need to elevate themselves to exceptional level.

We didn't push the pedal through the floor. Glad this isn't any kind of mini series. Do not expect help from the zebras, we need to win despite them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As an aside, a bit of respect for Adam Lowry. He was injured the last time we played the Jets, but I think he's a huge force for them and difference maker. If he's a free agent, he would be a very nice addition, but I would think the Jets will move some heaven and a bit of earth to keep him.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yamamoto cannot score this year and he and Nuge have been abysmal 5v5 this year. Puljujarvi is the only guy on that line worth a damn.
If you are going to have only one line that can score then give them a better chance and slide Puljujarvi back up

Let's just say we disagree on how effective Nuge and Yams can be and leave it at that.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
How can you call it disingenuous when I explained exactly what I counted? In my opinion, the Oilers outshot the Jets, but I feel the Oilers were on the perimeter too much (which was the context of me looking up shot locations in the first place) and good chances from what I consider scoring positions were a wash between the two teams. Hellebyuk didn’t have to put on a show.

Buuut...they weren't a wash. Not even close. Which was the point I was trying to make about you treating all shots below the top of the circles as scoring chances when they clearly aren't - but counting them this way made the arbitrary events you counted much more even between the teams! That is pretty cut and dry misrepresentation to try and substantiate your initial position.

In fact, now that I am looking at it again, the original 12-7 oilers home plate shot advantage was understated. Of the 7 Jets home plate shots, 2 were tips that originated on shots from further out, and one was the empty netter Wheeler scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad