Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wasnt that basically us against Chicago and we still lost?

That what worried me the most. It looked a lot like the play in games last year.

In the sense that we were wildly better and the opposition got lucky, yes, it was exactly like the play-in series.

Specifically, last night reminded me of Game 4 where Crawford went supernova and the Hawks were hanging on for their lives.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Alright, so who's finishing higher than Edmonton besides Vegas next year? Please, I'm dying to know who you think has a better club in the Pacific next year than the Oilers do now. Because this is getting quite rich.
Seattle could. If the expansion goes even half as well as Vegas.

But I guess you are right, we might just be a playoff team with this exact roster next year because we will again be in the worst division in hockey. Doesn't make us an excellent team lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I had to double check what you're talking about here because you made it sound egregious but it was...nothing? Both D men lost their battles after Nuge lost the puck, but of course it's all your whipping boy's fault.

Who had control of the puck and was dispossessed of the puck leading to the winning GA?

One of the only times Drai wasn't on ice to cover for his play.

Own zone strips are not nothing. They amount to wins and losses.

The problem with Nuge is he won't atone for being beat on that play. he won't be a difference maker to get a goal back. He wont' even acknowledge it. He'll play through like its a regular season game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We didn't need the rest of the team to do shit all year, why should now be any different?
Cause the playoffs are a different beast?

You don't win in the playoffs without your depth succeeding. McDavid has yet to show he can drag this team anywhere in the playoffs, until he does, I'll have my doubts. He's no playoff MacKinnon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In the sense that we were wildly better and the opposition got lucky, yes, it was exactly like the play-in series.

Specifically, last night reminded me of Game 4 where Crawford went supernova and the Hawks were hanging on for their lives.
If we are constantly losing big games because of "bad luck" maybe it's not bad luck afterall?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Seattle could. If the expansion goes even half as well as Vegas.

But I guess you are right, we might just be a playoff team with this exact roster next year because we will again be in the worst division in hockey. Doesn't make us an excellent team lol

Well I mean, maybe you should take a minute or two to consider the circumstances before you start making these bold predictions. That's all I'm saying.

Somebody who tells me that the Oilers might not make the wildcard next year just tells me they really just love habitually running the team into the ground.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A lot of chirping on here this past week, as to how we were going to roll the Jets, they had a terrible defence, blah, blah blah. This is why they play the games, and you need to respect your opponent. Maurice is one of the better coaches in this league, and he proved it last night. I still think we win the series, but it's going to be a battle.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well I mean, maybe you should take a minute or two to consider the circumstances before you start making these bold predictions. That's all I'm saying.

Somebody who tells me that the Oilers might not make the wildcard next year just tells me they really just love habitually running the team into the ground.
It's the Oilers, they love finding ways to let us down. I don't love running the team into the ground, they do that themselves

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Who had control of the puck and was dispossessed of the puck leading to the winning GA?

Again, you had two other players with chances to get posession who lost their battles. The goal itself was a fluke as well.

One of the only times Drai wasn't on ice to cover for his play.

Given the rest of his game last night how could you tell if Drai was on the ice or not? Sleepy Draisaitl was a total non factor. Sad!

Own zone strips are not nothing. They amount to wins and losses.

I bet he had far more takeaways than giveaways last night.

Reactions: RegDunlop

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The other series have all been hard hitting high energy games too. Refs are more likely to call penalties in games like that than a game where both teams didn't seem like they wanted to be there
And what is the excuse for the rest of the year? Remember the Toronto series where two out 3 games we didn’t have a PP? The league is calling two different sets of rules one in the US and one in Canada.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You don't win in the playoffs without your depth succeeding. McDavid has yet to show he can drag this team anywhere in the playoffs, until he does, I'll have my doubts. He's no playoff MacKinnon
Rubbish. Pretty sure he did okay the last time they were in the playoffs against the Sharks back in 2017. I think he also got a hat trick in one of the games. Played well in the play-ins last year, but again, not a lot of support and goaltending was not good. He needs some solid support so the opposition can't just focus on him. Colorado has an array of talented options to throw out there, to lessen the pressure on McKinnon.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

McDavid brought the Oilers within a victory of going to the Conference finals as a 20 yr old

Last year's play-ins he had 9 points in 4 games.

Saying he can't perform in a playoff atmosphere in reaction to game 1 of this year's playoffs is such an over reaction

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

You don't win in the playoffs without your depth succeeding.

Team isn't built for that. You play the cards you're dealt and this GM has dealt them a bum hand.

McDavid has yet to show he can drag this team anywhere in the playoffs, until he does, I'll have my doubts. He's no playoff MacKinnon

LMAO here we go.

Get back to me when playoff warrior Nathan MacKinnon makes it out of the second round.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It's the Oilers, they love finding ways to let us down. I don't love running the team into the ground, they do that themselves

What exactly have they done this season, besides lose ONE playoff game that they arguably deserved to win, or it was a wash at best, to make them let you down this year?

Pretty much nothing. I mean, unless you go back to the 3-6 start, in which they had zero goaltending and played like one of the best teams in the league from thereon out. I think they redeemed themselves.

And even last year, are we really going to blame the team for that play in round? After an insanely long time of going without hockey, it is a ridiculously small sample size to use to ever actually place any sort of emphasis on.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
They have a bad trend of playing like shit in the first 10 minutes, which is a fact. If you want to get into the semantics of the timeline I presented or whatever else makes you happy then go ahead.

Don't know where 37.5% comes from or why it matters or how you qualify a "blown start." Point is they have a habit starting games lethargically however you want to slice it.
The 37.5 percent is from the amount of games they scored in the first 10 minutes of a game divided by 56 games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Constantly? It's been 5 games my dude.

If you flip a coin 5 times and 4 of them are heads, does that mean the coin is weighted towards tails?
Hockey isn't a coin flip so what the f*** does that have to do with anything?

This team has yet to prove they have what it takes to win the big games.

Until they do, Imma expect them to lose.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Good lord... this place sometimes. That game last night was a tight checking game where the bounces ultimately were the difference. Winnipeg deflects a puck in the net for the gig, the Oilers got a bunch of deflections in tight none of them go. Then the first empty netter the ref doesn't get out of the way kicks the puck right to the jets when the Oilers would have maintained possession otherwise. Yeah that game wasn't the huge failure some are making it out to be. Hellebuyck played well kept his team in it and the jets got some good bounces to win. Typical game 1 of the playoffs you ask me. What does it mean for the rest of the series? Not a whole hell of a lot if you ask me. Watch that one without knowing the score you come away thinking the Oilers were the better team.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The weak link made the puck strip on the only Oilers goal and has looked good on the topline since being inserted there. The weakest link topsix was Yamamoto who despite buzz, try and energy is simply incapable of his role around the net in NHL playoffs. Kahun is decent with the puck. can actually make some plays. He's more comfortable with the puck than Yama is.

What the Jets caught onto is if they simply grind Yama into the ice 20 times he won't be able to do anything. They hammering Yama all game, from the first shift. Even got belted once going to the bench.

If McD simply plays to his ability he has the strong 2nd in Pulju. That should work. Hell Drai plus Pulju would work with any winger.

And your whipping boy Yamamoto was deep in their zone all night and drew the only penalty. I don't think either had spectacular games but you can still make a good play or two and have a bad night. And for my money Yamamoto played far better than Kahun who lost the puck almost every time he touched it last night. I'm not tweaking the lines yet but the strategy was very obvious to my eyes. Team has to respond well if they want to shake the pretender/regular season wonder label.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It only took one game for Tippett to break out the McDavid/Draisaitl stack line at practice.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hockey isn't a coin flip so what the f*** does that have to do with anything?

This team has yet to prove they have what it takes to win the big games.

Until they do, Imma expect them to lose.

Hockey is a combination of luck and skill. Once in a while luck overrides skill completely, sometimes the skill is so strong that luck isn't able to have a chance to get in the way of anything. Then you have all the combinations thereof there of in between

Trying to make such an extreme big picture conclusion, and basing it off just one game, the first game at that, before giving McDavid to see what he can do to adapt and respond is what doesn't make sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad