Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cause the playoffs are a different beast?

You don't win in the playoffs without your depth succeeding. McDavid has yet to show he can drag this team anywhere in the playoffs, until he does, I'll have my doubts. He's no playoff MacKinnon

McDavid plays an entirely different game than MacKinnon though. As long as the NHL wants playoff hockey to be "rugby on ice", McDavid will never be able to put a team on his back in the playoffs. Drai is actually much better suited to have a large impact in the playoffs. We saw that last night as his line was by far the most dangerous and held possession the most, and this was also the case in the 2018 playoffs as well. Don't get me wrong, McDavid is still a very good player and will have successes in the playoffs in his career, but they will be greatly overshadowed by his regular season play. the caveat tot that statement is: unless the NHL changes the way they officiate playoff games, which they will never do (cause they apparently love boring, clutch/grab hockey, playoff hockey really is the worst example of the sport IMO).

Reactions: Oilers 322

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid brought the Oilers within a victory of going to the Conference finals as a 20 yr old

Last year's play-ins he had 9 points in 4 games.

Saying he can't perform in a playoff atmosphere in reaction to game 1 of this year's playoffs is such an over reaction
Draisaitl was the guy driving the playoffs for the Oil that year, not McDavid.

Reactions: Oilers 322

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We destroyed them in possession. A shame that we once again run into a hot goalie.

Screenshot_20210520-120528_(1).png

Reactions: Aerrol and iCanada

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the Oilers are so great then this series should be a cakewalk from here on out.

I look forward for all the excuses about why the Oilers lose.

This team is not built for playoffs period and our stars can't do it on their own and it's been 5 years since they really have tried, and 5 years ago they had a much better team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And your whipping boy Yamamoto was deep in their zone all night and drew the only penalty. I don't think either had spectacular games but you can still make a good play or two and have a bad night. And for my money Yamamoto played far better than Kahun who lost the puck almost every time he touched it last night. I'm not tweaking the lines yet but the strategy was very obvious to my eyes. Team has to respond well if they want to shake the pretender/regular season wonder label.

Well one of the players has 8Ev goals in last 37GP, and 3 in last 7GP, and the other has been ineffectual for months scoring one goal since March 8. I mean my concern isn't isolated to one game.

For my money Yama isn't getting anything done, and for a long time. The bolded is inaccurate. Yama WAS dispossessed of the puck almost every time he had it. Watch the game again and see.

Perhaps we're both right and Jets were zeroing in on weakest links on both topsix lines.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
McDavid plays an entirely different game than MacKinnon though. As long as the NHL wants playoff hockey to be "rugby on ice", McDavid will never be able to put a team on his back in the playoffs. Drai is actually much better suited to have a large impact in the playoffs. We saw that last night as his line was by far the most dangerous and held possession the most, and this was also the case in the 2018 playoffs as well. Don't get me wrong, McDavid is still a very good player and will have successes in the playoffs in his career, but they will be greatly overshadowed by his regular season play. the caveat tot that statement is: unless the NHL changes the way they officiate playoff games, which they will never do (cause they apparently love boring, clutch/grab hockey, playoff hockey really is the worst example of the sport IMO).

That Colorado series isn't even close to rugby on ice, for the record. It's open and loose aside from big open ice checks.

Notably because game 1 had both teams get 5 PPs a piece.

Our series has been the only one that's really resembled rugby on ice in the slightest. The bolts have gotten 8 pp's from holding, hooking, or interference this far, if we're keeping score.

Reactions: TB12

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Did anyone really think we would win in 4 games? Some bad breaks / bounces and occasional missteps in execution made the difference...and Hellebuck.
Tippett seems like the kind of coach that looks for ways to win a series and doesn't get unnerved if he encounters a loss or two on the way. This series is going 6 or 7 games - the team is committed to that.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If the Oilers are so great then this series should be a cakewalk from here on out.

This team is not built for playoffs period and our stars can't do it on their own and it's been 5 years since they really have tried, and 5 years ago they had a much better team.
Are you even an Oilers fan? All you do is bash them and tell us how terrible they are. Maybe you should go cheer for the flames or Canucks.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Are you even an Oilers fan? All you do is bash them and tell us how terrible they are. Maybe you should go cheer for the flames or Canucks.
That's not all I do at all, I've been quite positive about the team for most of the year, but thanks for playing.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Weren't you one of those guys who was glad the Oilers didn't do anything at the deadline? Weren't you saying you weren't expecting this team to challenge for anything this season? Yes you were, so why are you getting so worked up over one game, a game in which the Oilers were the better team?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Weren't you one of those guys who was glad the Oilers didn't do anything at the deadline? Weren't you saying you weren't expecting this team to challenge for anything this season? Yes you were, so why are you getting so worked up over one game, a game in which the Oilers were the better team?
I'm not really getting worked up, I'm calling a spade a spade. This team isn't good enough, going all in at the deadline wouldn't of really changed that.

I'm more confused at all the people thinking we are so incredible and only lost cause of luck.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Dude, honestly, just go outside and breathe some fresh air. You were positive all season and then turned into whatever this post was after one game. It's kind of crazy actually.

It was a frustrating game but it was just one game. Lets settle down a bit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dude, honestly, just go outside and breathe some fresh air. You were positive all season and then turned into whatever this post was after one game.

It was a frustrating game but it was just one game. Lets settle down a bit.
I'm just mad that I didn't go with my gut and bet against the Oilers, would of been easy money lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Practice lines were

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kahun
Yamamoto - RNH - Puljujarvi

That's a panic move from Tippett.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well one of the players has 8Ev goals in last 37GP, and 3 in last 7GP, and the other has been ineffectual for months scoring one goal since March 8. I mean my concern isn't isolated to one game.

For my money Yama isn't getting anything done, and for a long time. The bolded is inaccurate. Yama WAS dispossessed of the puck almost every time he had it. Watch the game again and see.

Perhaps we're both right and Jets were zeroing in on weakest links on both topsix lines.

I can definitely agree with the bolded. They let Yamamoto in a bit then crushed him along the boards often. He's a fighter back there but when nothing's being called he needs to carry the puck less.

WTR re watching the game I definitely don't have the time atm and frankly playoff hype bringing me back here is bad enough for my job :laugh:. Let's just hope the team figures it out for game two and we're instead focusing on the positives of the team tomorrow.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm not really getting worked up, I'm calling a spade a spade. This team isn't good enough, going all in at the deadline wouldn't of really changed that.

I don't understand the logic behind "the team isn't good enough so it shouldn't try to improve."

The issues facing this team are obvious and so are the solutions, but if your GM sits on his hands at key times of the year or doesn't bring in any players who move the needle two offseason's running then yeah, you're going to struggle when your top guys get shut down.

I'm more confused at all the people thinking we are so incredible and only lost cause of luck

Do you genuinely think the Oilers got outplayed yesterday?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: