Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We should bring back #Oilerpositives

The PK was perfect last night.
:laugh: Actually, on the positives, I thought Yamamoto and Neal had very strong games. Archibald as well, though he needs to find a way to be a bit more of an offensive threat.

Edit: Kahun too, really liked him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
As an aside, a bit of respect for Adam Lowry. He was injured the last time we played the Jets, but I think he's a huge force for them and difference maker. If he's a free agent, he would be a very nice addition, but I would think the Jets will move some heaven and a bit of earth to keep him.

He recently signed a 5 year contract with the Jets, which sucks because I would have loved him in our bottom 6.

Reactions: CravenMH

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
I think you must have slept through that playoff, other than Drai's 3 goal game in a blowout. McDavid was their best player and it wasn't even close.
There’s no way it wasn’t even close - you can argue McDavid was more valuable because he attracted the harder matchups but Drai was more effective in the end. Both of them were essentially ineffective for the first four games of the Sharks series. Kassian pretty much won game 2 and 3 for the Oilers. Drai assisted on the OT goal in game 5 and also got what I believed to be the GWG in game 6. In the Ducks series, Drai was clearly the better player as well. There’s no way it’s McDavid AINEC. Drais playoff performance was the main reason he got the contract he did, which was originally thought to be overpaid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Let's just say we disagree on how effective Nuge and Yams can be and leave it at that.
Nuge and Yams have 7 goals each 5v5 this season. Scoring at a similar rate 5v5 to Chiasson and Ennis.

They have been effective in the past but this year they have been kind of useless. Almost Winnipeg's entire top 9 (save one player) is scoring goals at a higher rate than Yamamoto and RNH and they don't have the luxury of being stapled to McDavid or Draisaitl.

Maybe by some miracle they will bounce back this year, but the current level of both those players are maybe 3rd liners offensively.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think you must have slept through that playoff, other than Drai's 3 goal game in a blowout. McDavid was their best player and it wasn't even close.

Mcdavid wasn't bad but was not impressive at all in the 2017 playoffs. I do recall that maybe it wasn't until the Anaheim round or late SanJose round when maybe Drai spent some time away from Connor that he really ramped up his game and was definitely better.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The best Oiler yesterday gets demoted. Real f***ing galaxy brain shit here.
Why is it a demotion? Top six is top six isn't it? He's being utilized as a guy who can get his linemates going, and the second line needs it more than McDrai.

Why is everything such f***in negative? I really hope some of you continue on with the crusade to fire the coach and half the team when they bounce back and win games. Don't want to see any of that fairweather shit where you sandbag almost everything about this entire team when they lose and jump on the dick when they win.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
:laugh: Actually, on the positives, I thought Yamamoto and Neal had very strong games. Archibald as well, though he needs to find a way to be a bit more of an offensive threat.

Edit: Kahun too, really liked him.

Not a shot against you in particular, since I fully acknowledge I watched the game once with a couple of beers in me and may have missed some stuff, but I think it's really funny that you keyed in on Yamamoto and Kahun as positives after @Drivesaitl just spent a couple of posts debating which one was the weaker link on their line... :laugh:

OK. Really closing HF now. See you guys tomorrow.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
As an aside, a bit of respect for Adam Lowry. He was injured the last time we played the Jets, but I think he's a huge force for them and difference maker. If he's a free agent, he would be a very nice addition, but I would think the Jets will move some heaven and a bit of earth to keep him.

Agreed but he signed an extension this season; good deal too

Reactions: ZJuice and CravenMH

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Buuut...they weren't a wash. Not even close. Which was the point I was trying to make about you treating all shots below the top of the circles as scoring chances when they clearly aren't - but counting them this way made the arbitrary events you counted much more even between the teams! That is pretty cut and dry misrepresentation to try and substantiate your initial position.

In fact, now that I am looking at it again, the original 12-7 oilers home plate shot advantage was understated. Of the 7 Jets home plate shots, 2 were tips that originated on shots from further out, and one was the empty netter Wheeler scored.
It’s not arbitrary. I think that a shot from the face off circles and closer DOES represent strong scoring chances. From the top of the circles, NHL shooters can beat a goalie cleanly from there. At minimum rebound control is very difficult. If we disagree on that, fine. Some of the Oilers close shots were muffins too, so I consider that levelling the field. Playoff hockey requires a lot of willingness to drive the net, and the physical tools to do it. I didn’t see enough of that last night, whereas the Jets always had someone in the low slot. We were boxed out too often. That’s my opinion, worthless as that may be.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Sorry, I just don't see a line being centered by RNH as an effective one.
Fair. But don't look at it as a demotion for JP. I get the feeling Tipp trusts the hell out of him and thinks he's capable of being a driving force for guys not named McDrai. Literally one of the only supremely responsible players at both ends of the ice he can lean on.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair. But don't look at it as a demotion for JP. I get the feeling Tipp trusts the hell out of him and thinks he's capable of being a driving force for guys not named McDrai. Literally one of the only supremely responsible players at both ends of the ice he can lean on.
I don't see it as a demotion either, but I feel like it's a waste.

Draisaitl can't get RNH and Yamamoto producing, Puljujarvi won't either.

If they want to go to one line that's worth a damn, don't waste Pulju on one of the worthless lines, play him with McDrai

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
upload_2021-5-20_13-22-30.jpeg

Why is this not being talked about more? It has been this way all down the stretch as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Honestly, if I'm the Jets, last night's game is exactly what I hope for. Puting all of their effort shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl, while hoping to grind out a goal more than the Oilers, is pretty much the Jets' only hope of winning. I bet their gameplan is exactly this--grind out ugly one goal games while shutting down McDrai.

Shutting down two of the best players in the league over multiple games is easier said than done.

I'm reminded of the IRA's message to Margaret Thatcher after they tried and failed to assassinate her: Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It’s not arbitrary. I think that a shot from the face off circles and closer DOES represent strong scoring chances. From the top of the circles, NHL shooters can beat a goalie cleanly from there. At minimum rebound control is very difficult. If we disagree on that, fine. Some of the Oilers close shots were muffins too, so I consider that levelling the field. Playoff hockey requires a lot of willingness to drive the net, and the physical tools to do it. I didn’t see enough of that last night, whereas the Jets always had someone in the low slot. We were boxed out too often. That’s my opinion, worthless as that may be.

True. Case and point, Nuge's wide open shot 10 feet in front of the net set up by Koekoek. Stats would indicate that was an ultra high scoring chance but it wasn't near as dangerous as advanced stats would say. Nuge took the pass and was gliding away from the net and put a very weak muffin at the net that Helly had zero problems with (and no traffic in front to make it difficult for Helly to track the puck so he easily moved cross crease and was in position). You can see Helly even shook his head at Nuge implying for him to get that pu**y a** garbage outta here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Doubling up makes it worse as then you have 3 lines that are going to outscore you opposed to one.

Over 7 games can McDrai outscore 3/4 of the Jets lines on their own 5v5? Cause that's what they will have to do.

Yamamoto - Nuge - Puljujarvi is probably at the same level as the Jets third line too with how Nuge and Yamamoto have played this year.

They did it over 9 games this season so I don't know why you think it's such a tall order.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
View attachment 436433

Why is this not being talked about more? It has been this way all down the stretch as well.
I'd argue those other series were a lot more physical and rough and tough so there was more obvious stuff to call. For the most part neither team was skating to hard or had much energy last night

A few of those series had few penalties the first game and more game 2.

At least we got a pp

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I'd argue those other series were a lot more physical and rough and tough so there was more obvious stuff to call. For the most part neither team was skating to hard or had much energy last night

A few of those series had few penalties the first game and more game 2.

At least we got a pp
Yeah we got a PP because they were forced to call it and even than they only gave 2 minutes even though Yammo was cut on the play. This has been and always should be a 4 minute double minor.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not a shot against you in particular, since I fully acknowledge I watched the game once with a couple of beers in me and may have missed some stuff, but I think it's really funny that you keyed in on Yamamoto and Kahun as positives after @Drivesaitl just spent a couple of posts debating which one was the weaker link on their line... :laugh:

OK. Really closing HF now. See you guys tomorrow.
Kahun is 100% the weak link on his line, but he is doing all he can, and was significant part of the only goal with both his forecheck and his battle in front. And Yamamoto is snake bit offensively, but I thought he won a ton of battles against the Jets. I like his compete level. Nuge frustrated me WAY more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad