Post-Game Talk: Farmboy Strikes Again! Jets Win 2-1

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'd send Rosie in there with Laine and Ehlers. At least at home C-S-W and C-L-T are playing against the other team's top 2 lines.

My words, exactly.

I'm not too positive on Vesalainen right now. Pretty sure Dano or even Petan (if he is ready yet after his loss) would fit better a spot with Little and Perreault.

Against LA the only goal was a result of Myers, Vesalainen and Scheifele making a well coordinated demonstration about "never play these like that". Scheifele would not been one to blame, but if you as a forward start following a guy from blue line, you will then go all the way and do not do it half-assed.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Great bounce back game. I can imagine what the Corsi must have been for those first two periods.
But that was much more difficult than it should have been. That first line was exhausted. The 4th line didn’t get a shift in the third period at all.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Thought E and Laine were good. Ehlers really good on the backcheck. I think the problem with that line is Little is 2 slow to keep up. Little seems to be getting a free pass from ppl here but hes sucked since he signed his extension.

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Roslo ??
CLT.

There are no 1st 2nd 3rd 4th lines

I do this cuz on each line u have 2 guys who have shown massive on ice chemistry. U could put anyone with Scheif and Wheels. Why not the super sniper.

Connor and Roslo not playing together after dominating the A is a joke

Stastny wasnt exactly a speedster out there with E&L, it looks more like chemistry. Little hit Laine with a nice pass and Laine looked a little surprised that 18 got him the puck.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I hope Ehlers finds his mojo Thursday night against the Preds.

I still hate Subban!
If he plays under 12 minutes again, he's not gonna find anything. People have to understand that there is a correlation in giving players 20+ mins ice time and them doing well. And it's not like the "second" line has done anything wrong, no, it's just been like this from the beginning. Seems to me like Maurice is set to play with one offensive line, one defensive line and the rest is fodder. I can't believe people are happy with this garbage, it's super shortsighted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed but damn its dumb not 2
Connor is turning into a star right before our eyes. And Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler is as dominant line as there is in the NHL. It is only the unique circumstances of having 2 other young star wingers that would even have people suggesting spitting up C-S-W.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
After watching that, nobody can say that Roslovic can’t drive a line. Even though he only played two periods, and not a lot, he had several incredible rushes and created several great chances.
I really think he could get that 2nd line going if given a chance.
He could have easily had a couple points again tonight.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game audio:

Player audio: Wheeler, Hellebuyck, Tanev and Connor.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: On the Jets discipline. Was that a game that looked like the style they expect to see from Winnipeg? On Brandon Tanev getting time with the top line, was that by design? Did he like what he saw from Tanev? On the Jets defensive game. Thoughts on Ilya Kovalchuk's game. What are the keys to getting comfortable playing with the lead in a tight game? Did he feel like Ehlers took on the shooters mentality that he needed to? Did he see more confidence in Jack Roslovic?

To listen click here.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Little has always played well with MP, and maybe insert Lemieux for KV and get a 4th line going as well.

I forgot Lemieux somehow. Dano and Petan might be better players but Lemieux would add some fire. I am only worried if he is disciplined enough. Last thing we need is stupid penalties or or kamikaze forecheck on d-zone, though I don't think Lemieux is prone to the latter.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
After watching that, nobody can say that Roslovic can’t drive a line. Even though he only played two periods, and not a lot, he had several incredible rushes and created several great chances.

I agree - he's not far away. If he shows Maurice a little more of the magic every night, he's going to get his chance.
And yes, I know you can only show so much in 5 minutes / game - this might take awhile.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
And Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler is as dominant line as there is in the NHL. .

What did they do ES today? Tanev set up Scheif's goal, Connor scored on the PP.
I watched the Pizza line in Ottawa, Sedins during Vancouver's contending years. The CSW line is nowhere near as dominant as they were.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I agree - he's not far away. If he shows Maurice a little more of the magic every night, he's going to get his chance.
And yes, I know you can only show so much in 5 minutes / game - this might take awhile.

Even though he’s only getting 5 minutes, it’s amazing what he’s showing in that limited amount of ice time.
I just don’t know how much more he needs to prove to show that he can drive a line.

Reactions: LowLefty

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Yup, I think his speed would match Ehlers and Laine nicely as instead of having only the passing option he could actually make it three lane direct attack, possibly by Laine being slightly lower when needed.

Little doesn't have that speed anymore to make the differencd like Roslovic does.

Not too confident about the D of 27-28-29, but you never know without trying.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I forgot Lemieux somehow. Dano and Petan might be better players but Lemieux would add some fire. I am only worried if he is disciplined enough. Last thing we need is stupid penalties or or kamikaze forecheck on d-zone, though I don't think Lemieux is prone to the latter.

I'd like to see Lemieux also - not really worried about penalties by a rookie trying to stay in the line up.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Keep CSW together. They're awesome.

Keep CLT together. Because.

Tonight's lineup played great. I see no reason to change it at all...BUT if I were to change it, I'd try Perreault-Little-Laine again.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Tanev was our best player today... he's been better than Ehlers this year (so far). Didn't see Ves touch the puck today.

True, but it's easier to be good on a line that works playing 17 minutes than in lines that do not work playing 10+ minutes. Cannot even compare really.

Add the fact that Ehlers is one of the least suitable players for the Jets playing 10 minutes, you can't expect too much.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I don't think the lines are an issue right now, but tonight, usage sure was.

At 5v5, the Lowry line got 15 minutes, the Little line got 10 minutes, and the Roslovic line got 5 minutes. For a home game where you control matchups, that's stupid!
Lowry line matched vs Kopitar, and I can't say that was a wrong move. Lowry line was great. 1st goal was Kopitar line against CSW line I think.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
If you put roslo with Laine and Ehlers, then you get to have a "fourth" line with MP and Little. Plop Dano or Vesa on that bad boy, and they'll feast.

Sploosh.

I know it seems like sacrilege, but I'd actually love to see Connor - Roslovic - Laine, and put Ehlers on the top line to help get him going.

OR, reunite Ehlers - Little - Perreault, which was a great line and just hasn't ever been tried again for some reason.

and FFS, even out the TOI...

Also Lowry was really awesome tonight.

Last edited:

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Roslovic sure looks ready to play a bigger role on this team. If we lose centres to injury this year he is ready to move up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good win by the team. I liked how we played tonight, really got back to our game. I am still really concerned about how the forward ice time has been allocated. While I get the concerns about a lack of C depth I have a hard time accepting this theory when our second and fourth lines are playing so little that I can't really blame them that much if they have a hard time getting into any kind of groove. These guys need to play a lot to really get their mojo going, also I have no idea if Roslovic is ready or not as he plays so little. If Maurice is too scared or can't find a way to get them onto the ice against a thin Kings team while at home I really am not sure what to think. This is one area where he is still below average as a coach imo, he rides his horses upfront far too hard. The ice time on defense though has been fairly decent so far although I would like to see Morrissey get Myers PP minutes.

Helle:

Made the saves late when he needed to but otherwise really wasn't called on to do too much.

Morrissey and Trouba where both exceptional, great night from the two of them as I don't believe they where on the ice for an ES scoring chance against.

Chariot and Buff: Outside of a few icings and miscues this pairing had a good game. Chariot was fairly steady and Buff played a good all around game and managed his risk well.

Myers and Morrow: They had a rough first but settled down after and played an effective second and third perior

CSW The line was flying out there. Connor and Scheifele where really driving the bus, Wheeler was good but once again not great. I stand by my view that he is more passanger on that line now. I wonder if he can get Little going if we move him down. I think Laine would contribute just as much in his spot.

LCT: They were back playing like they did last year. A real effective game for all three as they really hemmed Kopitar in deep all night.

ELL: The line showed some flashes of good play and some sub par play in their own end. I personally don't think they are getting enough minutes to really get into a rhythm so I still have no idea how they will function. As mentioned earlier I wouldn't mind a Laine/Wheeler swap.

VPR: These guys didn't play anywhere near enough to actually form any kind of opinion, although Roslovic flashed some skill and puck rushing.

Reactions: JetsUK and Jets 31

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Was at the game tonight. Tanev looked great, he was bouncing all over the place like a pinball. Kyle Connor is just a great player, just so fun to watch now. Roslovic also looked pretty good when he got to play. I'd consider putting in a large order of popcorn for Vesalainen next game and put Lemieux or Dano in.

I'm in agreement with some others, they should put Rosolovic with Laine and Ehlers and see what they can do.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
If he plays under 12 minutes again, he's not gonna find anything. People have to understand that there is a correlation in giving players 20+ mins ice time and them doing well. And it's not like the "second" line has done anything wrong, no, it's just been like this from the beginning. Seems to me like Maurice is set to play with one offensive line, one defensive line and the rest is fodder. I can't believe people are happy with this garbage, it's super shortsighted.

Don't worry, you'll be hailed as a genius once again, when you're forced to change the lines because of over-worked players getting injured.

If Vesalainen is only going to get 4-5 minutes of playing time, he's better off in AHL or playing in Europe.

Reactions: Jack722

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad