Fantasy Mock Draft Voting (STL Champion)

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
So who's going tp get LatvianTwist'd this time (I swear that guys has the worst luck with voting/matchups)
a7f78e653dfd2b4da3859506d5121e77.gif

Reactions: hockeynorth and OB5

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I never said it was ultra realistic, but you have to realize it's never going to be that way when I run it one time and post the results. There is a ton of room for error that we may not see again if I did it 100 more times. Some teams just came down to the fact your goalie had a bad year. It happens.

For you, my guess is player archetypes killed you. You don't have a great mix in game, and most of your forwards are listed as two-way, without a true playmaker on the roster.

In the end I understand not everyone will be happy with the results of a random video game. It's a game. If you're diving too much into every detail of course you'll be disappointed.

I hear ya and it’s no big deal.

It’s all meant to be in good fun and so I take it as such.

I don’t want to come across as a guy that’s whining because my team just so happened to finish 2nd last in the division under the sim, but like.......be realistic? Know what I mean?

Like for instance - if that sim came up with something like, “ok - Minnesota only gave up 199 goals but only scored 195 and have missed the playoffs as a result,” it’s not a result that I would have agreed with, but it’s something that would have been rooted in logic in my opinion (although I disagree, there is a criticism of my team floating out there that it would be hard pressed to score goals).

I mean, just take a look at some of my players

Defense = Edler, Niskanen, Sergachev, Ellis, Miller

Centers = Point, Couture, Namestnikov, Lewis

Wingers = Brown, Silfverberg, Coleman, Parise, Marleau, Bemstrom, Lundstrom

Goalies: Varlamov, Francouz

Does that really look like a team that’s going to give up 280 goals?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m curious, what did you guys mostly value in your rankings.

For me it was balance, having a shut down pair, And most importantly a proven good goalie.

I’m just curious what u guys focused on.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

For me it was balance, having a shut down pair, And most importantly a proven good goalie.

I find a lot of the proven goalies are regressing.

As a result you have rookies and backups getting rated as above average starters.

Reactions: belair

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

Everything tbh.
- Great goalie or strong tandem
- Well balanced top-4 D
- Good scoring ability in top-6
- Some good defensive forwards
- Balance between PP/PK guys
- Overall line construction

It all factored in for me but still was very close between many teams.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I find a lot of the proven goalies are regressing.

As a result you have rookies and backups getting rated as above average starters.
Fair enough, I saw one team who literally had a complete young back up Goalie as the starter.

To me that was already a massive red flag, and got rated accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto

This time I really looked at how players would fit with each other, I guess you can call it projected line chemistry . In this draft the teams seem more evenly matched, for that reason I looked at what line-ups have the biggest holes which they may not be able to overcome. A solid starter is also a must in my opinion.

Reactions: Canucks LB

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Does that really look like a team that’s going to give up 280 goals?

Maybe important to note that scoring is usually up in these sims. Comparing the GF/GA to numbers we see achieved in the NHL today isn't going to make GA look overly generous. Comparing GA to rest of the league, you were 21st while in a real tough division. Putting it into perspective that way doesn't make it as absurd as saying "my team allowed 280 goals". For your team scoring was a little rough, but honestly a poor sophomore year from your backup Francouz inflated your numbers a lot.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For me this is how I voted.

1. Proven goaltending. I don’t think a back up or a guy that’s had a strong 30 games is going to carry you to the playoffs. Doesn’t need to be elite, just capable.

2. Strong defence. Defence eats up a lot more time than forwards do and if you’re allowing a lot of chances against you can’t outscore your problems forever.

3. Strong centres. For most teams the offence flows through the centres they take the face offs and they are the ones most responsible for playing a 2 way game.

4. Winger depth. Don’t need to have start wingers, but having a few guys that can pot 20 is important.

I also valued two way play a lot.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
For me this is how I voted.

1. Proven goaltending. I don’t think a back up or a guy that’s had a strong 30 games is going to carry you to the playoffs. Doesn’t need to be elite, just capable.

2. Strong defence. Defence eats up a lot more time than forwards do and if you’re allowing a lot of chances against you can’t outscore your problems forever.

3. Strong centres. For most teams the offence flows through the centres they take the face offs and they are the ones most responsible for playing a 2 way game.

4. Winger depth. Don’t need to have start wingers, but having a few guys that can pot 20 is important.

I also valued two way play a lot.
So you're saying I'm first?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Maybe important to note that scoring is usually up in these sims. Comparing the GF/GA to numbers we see achieved in the NHL today isn't going to make GA look overly generous. Comparing GA to rest of the league, you were 21st while in a real tough division. Putting it into perspective that way doesn't make it as absurd as saying "my team allowed 280 goals". For your team scoring was a little rough, but honestly a poor sophomore year from your backup Francouz inflated your numbers a lot.

Meh, fair enough.

To me, the simulation algorithm seems like it was invented from Donkey Kong Country on Super NES, but to each their own.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Seems like the top teams have been established and there are tight races for wild card spots in each conference.

Reactions: hockeynorth

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
True. I don’t know.....

That sim doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me but whatever.

ps - I’ll get my votes in within the next couple hours guys. :cool:

Again.. Just for fun.. Was never going to be perfect :)

Also this should go without saying, but just to make it clear.. My votes were submitted before I ran the sim, and there is no chance I would ever be influenced to adjust them by a video game. Some of the people upset about these results I had rated highly myself.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You were up there despite your 3rd line
Man I'm annoyed about that third line, really thought it'd get more love. If I get in I might move Kubel up and Ryan down

I'm gonna run:

Bratt-Kopitar-Gallagher
Labanc-Hayes-Atkinson
Neal-Strome-Kubel
Jones-Spezza-Ryan

for the playoffs or

Bratt-Kopitar-Gallagher
Ryan-Hayes-Atkinson
Neal-Strome-Labanc
Jones-Spezza-Kubel

Haven't quite decided yet, I will if I get in

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Man I'm annoyed about that third line, really thought it'd get more love. If I get in I might move Kubel up and Ryan down

I'm gonna run:

Bratt-Kopitar-Gallagher
Labanc-Hayes-Atkinson
Neal-Strome-Kubel
Jones-Spezza-Ryan

for the playoffs or

Bratt-Kopitar-Gallagher
Ryan-Hayes-Atkinson
Neal-Strome-Labanc
Jones-Spezza-Kubel

Haven't quite decided yet, I will if I get in

Im sure a lot of people like it so I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m 99% sure I’m going to be a bottom ten team in this draft so don’t take advice from me lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad