Fantasy Mock Draft Voting (STL Champion)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
or does it support they focus on Crosby > Zib and don't look much further.

Could be either tbh.
Yeah, could be that as well.

I do think my theory about the rest of HF valuing offensive defensemen more than we do has merit to it though. For example, Shayne Gostisbehere beat out Brenden Dillon in this poll on the main boards, and Gardiner and Montour are both better than Ghost. On this board, however, I think the consensus is that Dillon is the best defenseman from that group.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
:bluesvs:bolts

CENTRES: I prefer Crosby to Zibanejad, I slightly prefer Dubois to Krejci, Overall I just think ST. LOUIS is stronger here.
LEFT WINGS: I think DeBrincat is comparable to Kreider, if not slightly better. After that, I don't think I like either group, Sheary/Baerstchi are weak sauce but Greenway has a role there. Foligno is barely a top six forward anymore if at all but Foegele is a pretty fast and fun usable guy. I think the best way I can tiebreak this for myself is whoever has most upside, which to me is DeBrincat and that's ST. LOUIS
RIGHT WINGS: Mark Stone is the runaway best RW, Toffoli compares to either or of Rakell or Zuccarello, for me that means TAMPA BAY
DEFENSE: I think Orlov-McAvoy is a really solid pairing and I also think Klefbom-Weber does the job well, so both top pairings can do damage, if I had to pick one it'd be the Blues. I think Dillon-Hronek is a better 2nd pair to me than Gardiner-Myers and both bottom pairs are competent. The second pair difference in physicality and upside with Hronek makes me lean TAMPA BAY
GOALIES: With everything on the line, I'd trust Gibson more than I'd trust Raanta. Both are quality goalies but Gibson has stolen games when it matters before and Raanta has less examples to me. ST. LOUIS

VERDICT: Blues in 7, tough series with overtimes probably, I trust the Blues in clutch times a little more with Gibson flanked by solid shutdown D on the top pair and Crosby/Dubois, even though Tampa can counter decently well with Stone/Weber.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No, I think it's just that this board has a different idea of certain things than the poll section does, particularly when it comes to defensemen. Here, offensive guys like Gardiner and Montour are valued a lot lower than on the rest of HF while defensive guys like Dillon are valued higher.
I don't see it that way. Guys like Dillon are versatile because he's proven he can play on any pairing depending on the partner.

To me, if you're going to take a one-dimensional player you need to have a good mix at least. I can live with Montour's, Gardiner's etc on teams that at least have pairings set for certain roles. I think that's when taking a player like that is really beneficial. You can pair an offensive guy with a defensive guy, or have two pairings; one for offense, one for defense etc.. the pairings don't seem to have much thought put into it and considering how much you shuffled them I think I'm correct on that.

Gardiner-Myers. I can't tell who is sheltering who here because both need to be. Myers is a rookie who has had up and down moments all year. Vigneault started to trust him a bit more before his injury by pairing him with Sanheim. Carolina has Gardiner in a 3rd pairing role with PP time and a little over 14 minutes 5 on 5/game. This is the kind of pairing you want to play just as Carolina does IMO. Third pairing with special teams minutes.

Sekera-Montour.. obvious bottom pairing.

I just see 4 bottom 2 defenseman in that mix.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don't see it that way. Guys like Dillon are versatile because he's proven he can play on any pairing depending on the partner.

To me, if you're going to take a one-dimensional player you need to have a good mix at least. I can live with Montour's, Gardiner's etc on teams that at least have pairings set for certain roles. I think that's when taking a player like that is really beneficial. You can pair an offensive guy with a defensive guy, or have two pairings; one for offense, one for defense etc.. the pairings don't seem to have much thought put into it and considering how much you shuffled them I think I'm correct on that.

Gardiner-Myers. I can't tell who is sheltering who here because both need to be. Myers is a rookie who has had up and down moments all year. Vigneault started to trust him a bit more before his injury by pairing him with Sanheim. Carolina has Gardiner in a 3rd pairing role with PP time and a little over 14 minutes 5 on 5/game. This is the kind of pairing you want to play just as Carolina does IMO. Third pairing with special teams minutes.

Sekera-Montour.. obvious bottom pairing.

I just see 4 bottom 2 defenseman in that mix.
I don't really disagree with any of that, but I think the poll section in general sees it differently.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
@m0pe As I expected, the poll section is seeing things differently. You have more in-house votes (11-8) but the outsider vote count is 7-1 in my favour.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
@m0pe As I expected, the poll section is seeing things differently. You have more in-house votes (11-8) but the outsider vote count is 7-1 in my favour.

These outsiders hate me.

In-housers, go vote for me! Don't let these dumb outsiders determine your winner!

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
Or, it proves that we have all started to value the same type of players. It’s is very insulated group of 30+guys drafting these teams. Once it hits the main board all bets are off

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Or, it proves that we have all started to value the same type of players. It’s is very insulated group of 30+guys drafting these teams. Once it hits the main board all bets are off

I also think that we analyse the matchups/teams moreso than the average voter in the polls section.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Looks like @ConnorMcMullet is going to win the finals pretty easily. Big congrats!

Glad that I get the consolation prize of finalist and the most in-house votes.

Really surprised at how many people (outsiders in particular) seemed to not like my D. Felt that was the strongest part of my team. Oh well.

Good game everyone. Next time that I don't restrict myself and just draft the best team, I hope I can go all the way.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Looks like @ConnorMcMullet is going to win the finals pretty easily. Big congrats!

Glad that I get the consolation prize of finalist and the most in-house votes.

Really surprised at how many people (outsiders in particular) seemed to not like my D. Felt that was the strongest part of my team. Oh well.

Good game everyone. Next time that I don't restrict myself and just draft the best team, I hope I can go all the way.
Thanks, it was my first mock draft in a year or so and I had a blast. Let's hope I can go back-to-back here. :)

I think the results of the finals show that we value things slightly differently than the rest of HF. I honestly thought you were going to beat my in the finals because of my defense.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->