Fantasy GM Thread | Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Myers has to be dumped to Columbus if you're trading for Jones. Trading Schmidt for him would be a bit of a lateral move. Seth Jones is better, but not by enough to justify what the extension is going to cost for Seth in a year.

If you could dump Myers for him, great. I'd give up the first+ any young player outside of the core, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Rathbone. I don't know if that'd be enough, but it would be nice.

Reactions: David71 and Peen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Myers has to be dumped to Columbus if you're trading for Jones. Trading Schmidt for him would be a bit of a lateral move. Seth Jones is better, but not by enough to justify what the extension is going to cost for Seth in a year.

If you could dump Myers for him, great. I'd give up the first+ any young player outside of the core, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Rathbone. I don't know if that'd be enough, but it would be nice.
Jarmo is kind of old school, doesn't seem like a guy who thinks much of analytics so he may be convinced to take Myers if ownership is fine with it. The sad part is I bet JB probably values Myers just as much as Schmidt, if not more so.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Those garbage WAR graphs have people more scared of Jones the player than they should be. He had a tough year on a bad team but is a fine player, and very similar to Dougie Hamilton - especially in that they both that the ‘#1 D’ reputation on account of size and PP stats while they’ve never been tough-minute defenders. But he’s in a different class of player from Myers/Ristolainen types.

Jones the person on the other hand ... yikes. Guy is a Qanon MAGA wingnut who would probably be a disastrous fit in this very progressive dressing room.

And Benning negotiating with Kekalainen? Ew.
Ooof didn't know that, I was actually beginning to convince myself it might not be the worst idea to bring him in.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ooof didn't know that, I was actually beginning to convince myself it might not be the worst idea to bring him in.

It's especially weird because he's black.

But it seems his parents are separated and his mom is a far right wing Trump trainwreck and he appears to fall in line with that.

As a player, I don't think it's the worst idea at all and I think he's not much different than Dougie Hamilton who a lot of people seem to love. And hugely better than an OEL or Ristolainen. But I have severe reservations that he'd be a good fit for this dressing room or this market.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seth Jones is a big no-go. Putting aside his political views, his on-ice value is waaaaaaaay overrated in mainstream circles.

He is not on the same planet as Hamilton. He's now in the OEL/Risto tier of "guys people used to think were good but now mostly know better". Except they don't know better. Is he better than Tyler Myers? Well yeah, sure. But the price paid to upgrade from Myers to Seth Jones would be absurd.

Jones from a couple years ago had near elite-tier analytics, but they've just been free-falling since. Some video work I've seen on him strongly indicated he has issues turning/pivoting, which makes it easy for forwards to get around him. As a result, his neutral zone defense is disastrous because he leaves a massive gap to compensate. I don't know if it's injury or what, but I wouldn't want to pay the price to find out.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Seth Jones is a big no-go. Putting aside his political views, his on-ice value is waaaaaaaay overrated in mainstream circles.

He is not on the same planet as Hamilton. He's now in the OEL/Risto tier of "guys people used to think were good but now mostly know better". Except they don't know better. Is he better than Tyler Myers? Well yeah, sure. But the price paid to upgrade from Myers to Seth Jones would be absurd.

Jones from a couple years ago had near elite-tier analytics, but they've just been free-falling since. Some video work I've seen on him strongly indicated he has issues turning/pivoting, which makes it easy for forwards to get around him. As a result, his neutral zone defense is disastrous because he leaves a massive gap to compensate. I don't know if it's injury or what, but I wouldn't want to pay the price to find out.

Thanks. I was just about to ask...like just a few years ago, he was on track to be an all around Norris trophy defenseman. I guess the bet would be if he can regain that form.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Thanks. I was just about to ask...like just a few years ago, he was on track to be an all around Norris trophy defenseman. I guess the bet would be if he can regain that form.

Earlier in his career he did legitimately look like he was on track to be an elite defenseman for a long time.

But the last 2-3 seasons have seen what is essentially a linear decline in his underlying numbers. Not sure what happened, if he has some nagging injury problem or other issues, but I think it's not a great bet considering the cost.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would basically trade any of our prospects, a first round draft pick, and one of our young talents in Pod, hog, or Rathbone for a Signed Seth Jones and a cap dump

I don’t care what analytics say, the guy is an elite number one defender.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
As long as Jones does not hurt people or believe the world is flat, I am very tolerant of other people even when I disagree with their beliefs or think they are ignorant with some of their ideas. It seems that a lot of "progressive" people are intolerant of people who do not see the world the same as them. Like the saying goes conservatives think liberals are stupid while liberals think conservatives are evil.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
As long as Jones does not hurt people or believe the world is flat, I am very tolerant of other people even when I disagree with their beliefs or think they are ignorant with some of their ideas. It seems that a lot of "progressive" people are intolerant of people who do not see the world the same as them. Like the saying goes conservatives think liberals are stupid while liberals think conservatives are evil.

Pretty sure he does.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

There's a pretty big difference in leaning conservative and believing in Qanon.

Which Jones is, I don't know. I've heard his mom is the latter but that doesn't mean he is too.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
So what meat are we picking off the corpse of this Leafs team?

I think Holl, Dermott, Kerfoot, Engvall, and Mikheyev are all guys they might move on from before the expansion draft.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would basically trade any of our prospects, a first round draft pick, and one of our young talents in Pod, hog, or Rathbone for a Signed Seth Jones and a cap dump

This would truly be a very bad move.

Jones is going to age like Brent Seabrook. He's already downhill.

"I don't care what the analytics say" is why we acquired Eriksson/Myers/Sutter/Beagle/Holtby at such obviously terrible prices.

Why don't we listen to the analytics and try to find someone with high-upside who is under-valued like Colorado did with Toews.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So what meat are we picking off the corpse of this Leafs team?

I think Holl, Dermott, Kerfoot, Engvall, and Mikheyev are all guys they might move on from before the expansion draft.

I know he was the goat in game 6, but I like Dermott and have always been a Dermott truther.

Doesn't really look like he's in the Leafs' future plans. A $1.4 million offer sheet is zero compensation, but the Leafs probably wouldn't match because it's outside their price range for (what is to them) a 7D.

IMO he has top-four upside. And he at least has right-side flexibility.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
What kind of contract do we think Reilly will get next year?

Aren't you curious why a huge number of CBJ fans are relieved they won't be the ones signing his extension at the dollar amount he'll likely command?

It's especially weird because he's black.

But it seems his parents are separated and his mom is a far right wing Trump trainwreck and he appears to fall in line with that.

As a player, I don't think it's the worst idea at all and I think he's not much different than Dougie Hamilton who a lot of people seem to love. And hugely better than an OEL or Ristolainen. But I have severe reservations that he'd be a good fit for this dressing room or this market.
It's not that weird. As a broad over-generalization, black Americans are actually quite culturally conservative, and also tend to be more religious which ties back in to being more culturally conservative.

The Q stuff is news to me though.

I generally don't think players politics are a concern because every locker room is likely around 50/50 or 60/40 for political stances anyways, so if someone is going to get upset by someone elses politics to the point it effects on ice play, they're going to have a problem on every team in the league. But the PLD mystery and rumours do leave a black mark on this whole conversation and leave you wondering...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Domi and/or Laine off of the Blue Jackets would set our forward corps. For cheap, of course.

Then all further resources to solving our defense.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Domi and/or Laine off of the Blue Jackets would set our forward corps. For cheap, of course.

Then all further resources to solving our defense.
I just feel like there's a reason Domi can't find a home. If Laine was available I'd offer a lot for him.

Reactions: Cogburn

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I just feel like there's a reason Domi can't find a home. If Laine was available I'd offer a lot for him.

I think this is where having a friend/former teammate as your captain has to play into it. If Horvat vouches for him that goes a long way with me and I would feel fine about Domi.

Reactions: Cogburn

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I know he was the goat in game 6, but I like Dermott and have always been a Dermott truther.

Doesn't really look like he's in the Leafs' future plans. A $1.4 million offer sheet is zero compensation, but the Leafs probably wouldn't match because it's outside their price range for (what is to them) a 7D.

IMO he has top-four upside. And he at least has right-side flexibility.

I'd be all over a $1.4M offer sheet to Dermott (assuming Seattle doesn't take him in the expansion draft).

Reactions: bossram

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Leafs playoff stats are gift that keeps on giving.

Tyler Motte has 4 goals in his last 9 playoff games. Matthews and Marner have a combined 3 goals in their last 26 playoff games.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
This is my updated Proposal for Seth Jones just for fun guys.

Well right off the bat the Canucks have a very nice piece to trade in a deal.

1st Rounder - Top 9 Pick

So that’s a really good start, now we have to decide is this for a rental or is this for someone were keeping.

Let’s say hypothetically it’s for a Signed Seth Jones.

What are the blue jackets currently looking for, my best guess is top prospect, and a defender that could potentially fit that role for them.

Reluctantly the Vancouver Canucks could trade Podkolzin or Hoglander In the deal, which would be significant pieces to add.

But the only way that would happen is if the Columbus blue jackets take a bad cap but decent player back in the deal.

Somebody that could play decent minutes for them.

The name that comes to mind right away is Tyler Myers.

So my final offer would probably be something like this.

Seth Jones
For
2021 1st (top 9)
Podkolzin (Top Prospect) | OR | Hoglander (Already a top 6 Winger)
Tyler Myers (Full Cap Hit)

Would you guys do it?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This is my updated Proposal for Seth Jones just for fun guys.

Well right off the bat the Canucks have a very nice piece to trade in a deal.

1st Rounder - Top 9 Pick

So that’s a really good start, now we have to decide is this for a rental or is this for someone were keeping.

Let’s say hypothetically it’s for a Signed Seth Jones.

What are the blue jackets currently looking for, my best guess is top prospect, and a defender that could potentially fit that role for them.

Reluctantly the Vancouver Canucks could trade Podkolzin or Hoglander In the deal, which would be significant pieces to add.

But the only way that would happen is if the Columbus blue jackets take a bad cap but decent player back in the deal.

Somebody that could play decent minutes for them.

The name that comes to mind right away is Tyler Myers.

So my final offer would probably be something like this.

Seth Jones
For
2021 1st (top 9)
Podkolzin (Top Prospect) | OR | Hoglander (Already a top 6 Winger)
Tyler Myers (Full Cap Hit)

Would you guys do it?

I missed the OR at first but still Canucks aren't in a position to trade either hoglander or podkolzin. We need the cheap depth to slot in.

No I would not do it.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I also want to mention.

In all seriousness, when was the last time a number one centre and a number one defender was available for trade because they both want out of a organization, at the same time?

Somehow, there is a opportunity here, to significantly retool a team, I’m not saying we should do it, but there is serious names available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia