Fantasy GM Thread | Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I didn't say Miller wanted out, I'm just saying that this franchise's rep in the hockey world isn't exactly great right now and players on this team did not have any fun this season except for maybe Hoglander.

Canadian teams always have a more difficult time signing coveted UFA's from other teams unless they overpay or unless the team is a contender.
It wasn't a fun season at all..but again, its a team the ascendancy (unless you're fully expecting a Sabres style meltdown)..The Jets, and the Av's both took steps back after initial breakthroughs with their young core players...NHL players talk amongst themselves, and to my knowledge , the Canucks have a close group.

Obviously , a lot of high profile UFA's want to go high profile cities in the US..but the notion that Benning has to rummage around the bargain basement bins to get players to come here isnt the case now. (Benning was saying that during the last years of the Sedins playing here, he had a very tough time convincing players to sign here).

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Pulock lead their team in ice time this season
i understand that. Mayfield plays a ton as well and at thirty cents on a cap dollar vs Pulock..... that was the whole point in my original post. They cant afford to lose Mayfield, either via trade or expansion. it will either be Leddy, or, if they think Dobson is just about ready to take a step (he already has on the PP), they can move on from Pulock and get a lot of young assets in return.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
i understand that. Mayfield plays a ton as well and at thirty cents on a cap dollar vs Pulock..... that was the whole point in my original post. They cant afford to lose Mayfield, either via trade or expansion. it will either be Leddy, or, if they think Dobson is just about ready to take a step (he already has on the PP), they can move on from Pulock and get a lot of young assets in return.

This just simply is not how Lou Lamoriello operates.

He will protect Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah, Lou loves having a tough, defensive minded teams. I just can’t see him trading away Pulock, Toews was less surprising since he’s not really the same type of player physically.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Dobson is already chewing away at his PP minutes (perhaps because Pulock had 1 pp point all year....). Pelech is RFA this year and will be getting a big raise/LTD or he's quite possibly gone next year. Pulock (even though he only has 1 year until UFA) generates the most return and is the most replaceable internally. Their cap situation is not good, so there will be tough decisions whatever direction they choose.

They're gonna have to make more tough cap decisions. But I don't see Lou going the Toews route again.

Pulock and Pelech are their most important players after Barzal. With them on the ice, they're an elite team because the opposition simply cannot generate chances. There's been no indication Dobson can fill the matchup role. They don't even trust him in the top-four over a declining Leddy.

I mean, if they want to send Pelech/Pulock the Canucks' way, sure, thanks Lou! I don't see it happening though. They're core, critical pieces.

They should sooner move Eberle or Brock Nelson than their key defensemen.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

He's as old schools as they come, so that wouldn't surprise me. this whole tangent started with someone saying Mayfield was possibly being moved prior to expansion to avoid exposing him. I said they would not be moving or exposing him .....for reasons that should be obvious IMO.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would 100% move next year pick but have a lottery condition on it. Historical when team get in trouble is when they trade there 1st that is 2 years away

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I would 100% move next year pick but have a lottery condition on it. Historical when team get in trouble is when they trade there 1st that is 2 years away

Both the 22 and 23 drafts have potential superstars. If you attach lottery protection it just moves it to the next year, I wouldn't want that risk at all.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Both the 22 and 23 drafts have potential superstars. If you attach lottery protection it just moves it to the next year, I wouldn't want that risk at all.

If the Canucks win the lottery in 22 they are ineligible to win 23 under the new lottery rules, so this is not a concern.

Edit - Ah shit, I'm wrong

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Now that we know we’re picking 9th OA, do you see us trading that pick or selecting BPA? In most years I’d say we’d draft but with all bennings antics about being aggressive (and not the strongest draft class) could see it being moved.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Eriksson
Myers
9th overall 2021
2022 1st unprotected

for

Jones (signed)
Domi

CBJ take on a legit cap dump in Eriksson (although only 1 year) and a dman who can play top 4 minutes for them... overpaid but serviceable. He can probably be flipped eventually for a pick. He is not nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be... (although im not a fan of him). A guaranteed high pick this year and a possible good pick next season. They are going to lose Jones anyways.

Canucks get the best player in the deal in Jones and he greatly improves the D core. Having a top 4 of Hughes, Schmidt, Jones and Hamonic would be very solid. Domi gives us a 3rd line center and we can roll 3 decent lines.

Hog Pete x
Miller Horvat Boeser
Pearson Domi Pods

I like that top 9. A FA signing to play RW with Pete shouldnt be overly difficult. Buying out both Holtby and Virtanen makes the cap work.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Trading away Myers is a pipe dream for multiple reasons. The biggest one being that Green/Benning actually value him and Benning probably thinks his contract is fine and will actually waste an expansion draft protection slot on him even though Seattle wouldn't touch him unless Benning gave them a prospect/pick worthy enough to take on a long term cap dump.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eriksson
Myers
9th overall 2021
2022 1st unprotected

for

Jones (signed)
Domi

CBJ take on a legit cap dump in Eriksson (although only 1 year) and a dman who can play top 4 minutes for them... overpaid but serviceable. He can probably be flipped eventually for a pick. He is not nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be... (although im not a fan of him). A guaranteed high pick this year and a possible good pick next season. They are going to lose Jones anyways.

Canucks get the best player in the deal in Jones and he greatly improves the D core. Having a top 4 of Hughes, Schmidt, Jones and Hamonic would be very solid. Domi gives us a 3rd line center and we can roll 3 decent lines.

Hog Pete x
Miller Horvat Boeser
Pearson Domi Pods

I like that top 9. A FA signing to play RW with Pete shouldnt be overly difficult. Buying out both Holtby and Virtanen makes the cap work.

Interesting one, but credit for coming up with a trade that actually addresses the team needs. It's only really fair if they consider Myers a positive asset and I'm not sure on that. It's bold, I'll give ya that.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Tampa probably still has Benning’s number from that Miller trade. Getting simple positive assets for a guy like Cernak has to be more appealing than getting reamed for someone to take Johnson or Killorn off their hands.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Tampa probably still has Benning’s number from that Miller trade. Getting simple positive assets for a guy like Cernak has to be more appealing than getting reamed for someone to take Johnson or Killorn off their hands.

For a team that is in serious cap troubles they will most definitely move Cernak and or Foote to get rid of those contracts. they have no choice

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille