Fantasy GM Thread | Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What do you guys think is a fair contract for UFA Horvat? I know it's 2ish years away.

6x6?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
That's only a 500 thousand dollar raise on his last contract. I would expect he would be looking at something like the Kevin Hayes contract.
Probably looking 7.5-8 on a deal that could be from 6-8 years

What do you think the walk-away price should be? I think anything more than 6.5x7 for a player that likely will be declining in years 5-7 of the deal is too much.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What do you think the walk-away price should be? I think anything more than 6.5x7 for a player that likely will be declining in years 5-7 of the deal is too much.
I would walk away from Bo if you can't grind him down to 8.5M or lower, but he has a lot of leverage

He's your team captain, he plays a vital role on the team, he's been good with even strength goals. How do you replace him on the team? You can't replace him with a UFA you're signing for anything under 7M

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I would walk away from Bo if you can't grind him down to 8.5M or lower, but he has a lot of leverage

He's your team captain, he plays a vital role on the team, he's been good with even strength goals. How do you replace him on the team? You can't replace him with a UFA you're signing for anything under 7M

Yeah, he's a guy you'd have to find a replacement from the draft. 1B heavy Centers like him aren't easy to find and I'm not sure many centers in the league could've survived his brutal usage/linemates either. It's a tough choice to make.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What do you guys think is a fair contract for UFA Horvat? I know it's 2ish years away.

6x6?
Offering him what they gave to 31 year old Loui Eriksson in a larger cap world most likely with a higher cap ceiling because of the expansion and new US TV deals is a slap in the face.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Offering him what they gave to 31 year old Loui Eriksson in a larger cap world most likely with a higher cap ceiling because of the expansion and new US TV deals is a slap in the face.

Cap is still likely staying flat even after those deals according to Bettman. I think 6x6 is a little low but do you think paying Horvat 7-7.5+ on a contract where he'll likely be on the decline for 2-3 years is a good idea?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think we need to improve our team toughness especially with a guy like Poldi coming in and likely stirring some stuff up.

Should sign UFA Kevan Miller from BOS as a 3rd pair placeholder that can provide some real protection for the kids, shouldn't be too expensive - would also still keep Hamonic.

Also would love to get Tanner Jeannot as it seems that Nashville won't be able to protect him. May be get him for a 3rd/4th - he would be a good middle 6 forward for us.

MacEwen, JT Miller, Hamonic, Jeannot, and Kevan Miller would provide some toughness to try and help ensure that Poldi doesn't get beat-up the same way Jake Virtanen did when he entered the league.
As long as the players can actually skate, stay healthy and play effective hockey at a reasonable cost, I think most fans would be on board with adding some toughness.

Miller’s a solid defensive dman so I wouldn’t mind him at the right cap hit, but term would have to be short.

As for Hamonic, I think he’s been out of his element paired with Hughes, I’d be okay with bringing him back at a similar cost but Hughes needs a new partner

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Whoever the management is at that time, I think that GM will have to decide between 2 of Brock, Bo, and JT, unless the salary cap really goes up with the new TV deals.

Reactions: Fatass

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Whoever the management is at that time, I think that GM will have to decide between 2 of Brock, Bo, and JT, unless the salary cap really goes up with the new TV deals.
I mean just due to age and circumstance, you have to think it’s Bo and Brock.

Bo’s the no-brainer as captain. Brock actually gets upset when he hears about trade rumours so he obviously loves playing in Vancouver despite being an American, plus he’s bff’s with your best player in EP.

Miller never asked to be here, he’s an American, he’s the oldest out of the 3 and probably wants to win asap. Seems like the least likely out of the 3 mentioned to give a hometown discount

Reactions: supercanuck

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
What are thoughts on UFA contracts of Erik Haula around 2.3 million to be our 3C and around 3.8 for Brandon Montour to be a top 4 RD?

Playing around on Capfriendly I see that we could fit in these contracts if we buyout Virtanen and Roussel and keep Beagle on IR.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Draft Luke and see th3 cost for Jack. Try Miller. Then try Bo. NJ might go for Bo.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What are thoughts on UFA contracts of Erik Haula around 2.3 million to be our 3C and around 3.8 for Brandon Montour to be a top 4 RD?

Playing around on Capfriendly I see that we could fit in these contracts if we buyout Virtanen and Roussel and keep Beagle on IR.
Anti-montour

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Pass on both. Haula has sucked defensively for the Preds this year. I think he needs to play on a sheltered line to thrive. This team needs some bottom 6 players who can handle some tougher usage.

Montour is a lock to be overpaid, he’s just an OK dman, he needs someone better than him to carry him on a 2nd pairing

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I hate to say it as big Horvat fan, but 6.5 at 5 or 6 years. If he was still a good 2way forward like he was 2017-19, I would be okay with paying 7-8 million. Paying 50-60 point guys well into their 30s has not worked out well in recent history. I think it will take 7-7.5 million though.

This is why we need someone to come in with a plan with when our window is, and execute that plan. Whether that is aggressively getting rid of bad contracts and competing during the Miller and Horvat contracts, or rebuilding and trading Miller and/or Horvat. Just waiting out the bad contracts to expire gives us maybe 1 year to compete with Horvat and Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckking1

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Cap is still likely staying flat even after those deals according to Bettman. I think 6x6 is a little low but do you think paying Horvat 7-7.5+ on a contract where he'll likely be on the decline for 2-3 years is a good idea?
I’d trade him in the next two years.

The market will pay him more than you’re willing to offer.

Take the assets. Save it for Elias’ window.

Brayden Schenn got 8 x $6.5m and Bo is certainly more important to Vancouver than Schenn is to St Louis.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I would be so, so hesitant to give Bo 6 years or more. I feel like he's one of those Kesler-like players who is going to wreck his body and not be very effective into his 30s. I'd give him 5 years tops, maybe even 4, but pay a premium for it (~$7.5M or so).

Nov 1, 2011
I would be so, so hesitant to give Bo 6 years or more. I feel like he's one of those Kesler-like players who is going to wreck his body and not be very effective into his 30s. I'd give him 5 years tops, maybe even 4, but pay a premium for it (~$7.5M or so).

I wouldn't give it to him, at the price of $7.5m, but I think he's the opposite of Kesler.

Kesler game was built on speed and playing with reckless abandon.

Horvat is kind of the opposite of that and won't likely break down due to wear and tear in the same way as Kesler. If Horvat loses a step though, it would be very bad for his game.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I would not pay Horvat more than 8... this would be Toews part 2 but worse. 7mil for 5 years or trade him.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Hughes + Miller + 1st for Eichel

We replace Hughes in this draft with one of the many LD available in our range.
Rathbone is the new PPQB.

Hog - Eichel - Boeser
Pearson - Petterson - Podkolzin
Motte - Horvat - Macewan
Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

Edler - Shmidt
Rathbone - hamonic
Joulevi - Myers

We replace someone on that left side with our top LD pick from this year.
We still come under the cap based on EP @ $8Mx3 elder @ 2.5mill. We'd have more if we buyout JV.
The year after our cap space blows wide open with many bad contracts expiring.

Does Buffalo have better offers?
What are they? I think the Canucks can improve on this offer without breaking a sweat.
An unhappy superstar is a tarnished asset, but the truth is the team acquiring that asset gets a happy superstar.
If not Miller, then Horvat. If not 1 1st then 2. There are limits to what we can give, but Eichel and Petey down the middle is something to look at.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hughes + Miller + 1st for Eichel

We replace Hughes in this draft with one of the many LD available in our range.
Rathbone is the new PPQB.

Hog - Eichel - Boeser
Pearson - Petterson - Podkolzin
Motte - Horvat - Macewan
Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

Edler - Shmidt
Rathbone - hamonic
Joulevi - Myers

We replace someone on that left side with our top LD pick from this year.
We still come under the cap based on EP @ $8Mx3 elder @ 2.5mill. We'd have more if we buyout JV.
The year after our cap space blows wide open with many bad contracts expiring.

Does Buffalo have better offers?
What are they? I think the Canucks can improve on this offer without breaking a sweat.
An unhappy superstar is a tarnished asset, but the truth is the team acquiring that asset gets a happy superstar.
If not Miller, then Horvat. If not 1 1st then 2. There are limits to what we can give, but Eichel and Petey down the middle is something to look at.

Way too much for Eichel given his injury situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad