Fantasy GM Thread | Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
The goal would be to find some sucker to take Myers.

Big, skates well for his size and righthanded.

Someone has to be interested.

Question is obvious: what does it take.

i dont think he would be an issue to trade. he is not as bad as this board makes him out to be (but dont get me wrong im not a fan of him). a team would offer at minimum a 2nd + ok prospect for him

Reactions: Cogburn

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i dont think he would be an issue to trade. he is not as bad as this board makes him out to be (but dont get me wrong im not a fan of him). a team would offer at minimum a 2nd + ok prospect for him
Lol he’s owed $18m with 2 separate $5m bonus payments. I think that opinion is ludicrous.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Boeser is RFA in two years.

Immediate contention (requires Benning replaced with a good GM before expansion draft):
  • Replace Green with one of the high end coaches available
  • Expose Myers+Pearson and hope Seattle pulls a Sbisa
  • Pay futures to dump Eriksson+Beagle+Roussel, buy out Holtby
  • Snipe some tweener RHD with potential from expansion draft casualties
  • Find a solution for 3C and #2/3 shutdown RHD
  • Fill out the rest of the roster out with smart, cheap acquisitions.

After Benning screws the cap situation for another two years this summer leaving us unable to contend until 2024:
  • Miller for Chinakhov + Tor 1st + CBJ 2nd
Horvat deals:
  • Horvat for Rossi + Boldy
  • Horvat for Chytil+Schneider+2022 1st
  • Horvat+2021 1st (5th overall) for Eichel
Would you guys do our Hughes to NJD for Hischier and Smith?

Just a fun thought. Maybe its one where neither side does it. But maybe NJD would overpay to have all 3 brothers

I'd do that deal instantly, and then turn around and flip Horvat.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Boeser is RFA in two years.

Immediate contention (requires Benning replaced with a good GM before expansion draft):
  • Replace Green with one of the high end coaches available
  • Expose Myers+Pearson and hope Seattle pulls a Sbisa
  • Pay futures to dump Eriksson+Beagle+Roussel, buy out Holtby
  • Snipe some tweener RHD with potential from expansion draft casualties
  • Find a solution for 3C and #2/3 shutdown RHD
  • Fill out the rest of the roster out with smart, cheap acquisitions.

After Benning screws the cap situation for another two years this summer leaving us unable to contend until 2024:
  • Miller for Chinakhov + Tor 1st + CBJ 2nd
Horvat deals:
  • Horvat for Rossi + Boldy
  • Horvat for Chytil+Schneider+2022 1st
  • Horvat+2021 1st (5th overall) for Eichel

I'd do that deal instantly, and then turn around and flip Horvat.
There is no chance that any of those teams do those Horvat deals.

If any one of them is on the table, the Canucks take it and run.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Lol he’s owed $18m with 2 separate $5m bonus payments. I think that opinion is ludicrous.
His first $5m bonus is paid before next season so he's effectively paid about $4.3m a season after that. The contract structure you describe makes trading him easier.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He's very valuable, maybe more so than Larkin.
But not valuable enough for any of those trades.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He's very valuable, maybe more so than Larkin.
But not valuable enough for any of those trades.
A NYR fan proposed that deal for Larkin+2nd on the Rangers board, and got responses saying it wasn't enough to get Detroit to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Would you guys do our Hughes to NJD for Hischier and Smith?

Just a fun thought. Maybe its one where neither side does it. But maybe NJD would overpay to have all 3 brothers

I would, I don't think New Jersey would, though. Even if they were uniting all 3 Hughes brothers.

Would you do, perhaps, Hughes + a minor salary dump (Roussel/Beagle) for Smith + Zacha + 2nd? I think I might.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021

Like I said I am not a huge fan of him, but he is not the #6 dman that everyone here claims. He slots into many teams top 4. Maybe he wouldnt return a 2nd + prospect but I am confident a GM would trade for him without the Canucks needing to retain salary.

Barrie and Savard will likely get ridiculous contracts this summer too.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Like I said I am not a huge fan of him, but he is not the #6 dman that everyone here claims. He slots into many teams top 4. Maybe he wouldnt return a 2nd + prospect but I am confident a GM would trade for him without the Canucks needing to retain salary.

Barrie and Savard will likely get ridiculous contracts this summer too.

Troy Stecher, who many said is a 6th defenseman, has better advanced stats than Tyler Myers, while playing on a team that is worse defensively.

Tyler Myers is a bottom pairing defenseman, unfortunately. I have a lot of doubts many teams would give us a second and a prospect for that atrocious contract that will only get worse as he gets older.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Troy Stecher, who many said is a 6th defenseman, has better advanced stats than Tyler Myers, while playing on a team that is worse defensively.

which stats? myers looks to have a better corsi than stecher playing 5 minutes more a game with better offensive numbers and roughly twice as many blocks and hits. stecher does have a slight advantage on expected gf/ga but myers has him on real +/- and a much higher xgf.

help me understand what i am missing about stecher. i like the guy.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
which stats? myers looks to have a better corsi than stecher playing 5 minutes more a game with better offensive numbers and roughly twice as many blocks and hits. stecher does have a slight advantage on expected gf/ga but myers has him on real +/- and a much higher xgf.

help me understand what i am missing about stecher. i like the guy.

Just overall Corsi for. It's close. But it shouldn't be really close because the difference in salary and role is much different.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021

Tyler Myers is a bottom pairing defenseman, unfortunately. I have a lot of doubts many teams would give us a second and a prospect for that atrocious contract that will only get worse as he gets older.

He is also a tree and has good mobility. GMs value this. I am not saying I agree. I also feel like he would be fine if he had a legit defensive dman to play with and cover his mistakes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He is also a tree and has good mobility. GMs value this. I am not saying I agree. I also feel like he would be fine if he had a legit defensive dman to play with and cover his mistakes.
That makes him a 3rd pair defensman. He can “play” the minutes of top pairing defensman but he’s not successful in those minutes and neither is the team. A $6m caphit for a guy who breaks in rookies on the 3rd pair isn’t something many teams are after.

People freaked out when Rathbone had to be paired with him lol.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think it is too early to trade Horvat and Miller. They still have two years left, which would normally be enough time to do a quick re-tool. Horvat and Miller are very good players and exactly the type of support that Boeser and Pettersson need. They are great at FOs and take difficult matchups. Miller can also play all 3 forward positions. I guess we could consider it next off-season if we really suck, but I'm not a big fan of these moves. I think trading Schmidt would also be selling low.

The problem with this team is obvious. Overpaid crap like Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter, and Beagle. We need to get rid of the crap, starting with the worst contracts, and fill depth with young and inexpensive players. Unfortunately, it seems with the Pearson and Pearson signings we are making similar mistakes - which is why the only solution has to be a change of management. I mean, can we really rely on the current regime to trade Miller and Horvat and continue to re-build after almost 7 years of re-build failure? I'd rather keep the assets and wait for better management.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think it is too early to trade Horvat and Miller. They still have two years left, which would normally be enough time to do a quick re-tool. Horvat and Miller are very good players and exactly the type of support that Boeser and Pettersson need. They are great at FOs and take difficult matchups. Miller can also play all 3 forward positions. I guess we could consider it next off-season if we really suck, but I'm not a big fan of these moves. I think trading Schmidt would also be selling low.

The problem with this team is obvious. Overpaid crap like Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter, and Beagle. We need to get rid of the crap, starting with the worst contracts, and fill depth with young and inexpensive players. Unfortunately, it seems with the Pearson and Pearson signings we are making similar mistakes - which is why the only solution has to be a change of management. I mean, can we really rely on the current regime to trade Miller and Horvat and continue to re-build after almost 7 years of re-build failure? I'd rather keep the assets and wait for better management.

Sure, they have two years left, but next year is another lost season because of all our deadweight cap anchors.

So basically the team is setting itself up for another one-year window. After that, if the team wants to commit to this current core, they'll have to re-invest in Miller, Horvat, and Boeser very heavily.

We should take these two years and actually use them for a retool, by selling off any assets over the age of 25, acquiring liquid assets, and cap space. That will give the club the ability to supplement their youth with Actually Good players, and currency to jump on undervalued opportunities when they arise.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Sure, they have two years left, but next year is another lost season because of all our deadweight cap anchors.

So basically the team is setting itself up for another one-year window. After that, if the team wants to commit to this current core, they'll have to re-invest in Miller, Horvat, and Boeser very heavily.

We should take these two years and actually use them for a retool, by selling off any assets over the age of 25, acquiring liquid assets, and cap space. That will give the club the ability to supplement their youth with Actually Good players, and currency to jump on undervalued opportunities when they arise.
Yeah i get the argument and it is logical but I don't trust the current management to retool/rebuild (what we've been doing for 7 years). More generally, I think Horvat and Miller are the types of players we should be investing and re-investing in. Maybe we get new management this season and next season isn't lost. I don't think this team is quite as terrible and as far away from competing as others, but we need competent management to do so. Hopefully we can keep the quality assets for new management.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah i get the argument and it is logical but I don't trust the current management to retool/rebuild (what we've been doing for 7 years). More generally, I think Horvat and Miller are the types of players we should be investing and re-investing in. Maybe we get new management this season and next season isn't lost. I don't think this team is quite as terrible and as far away from competing as others, but we need competent management to do so. Hopefully we can keep the quality assets for new management.

If we don't trust current management to re-tool, I don't see why you'd trust them to build toward a contender.

They've been trying to do that for 7 years and bungled it repeatedly. I'd say it's harder to eff up a sell-off, than correctly identify new pieces and manage a delicate cap situation.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If we don't trust current management to re-tool, I don't see why you'd trust them to build toward a contender.

They've been trying to do that for 7 years and bungled it repeatedly. I'd say it's harder to eff up a sell-off, than correctly identify new pieces and manage a delicate cap situation.
I never said I trust them to build a contender, that's a false dichotomy and I certainly don't. Either we get new management or we are stuck in mediocrity. I'd rather keep the assets in hope of new management. I think it is possible. The Green situation makes me think they might be waiting to fire the GM.

I guess if we are talking only in terms of the current management and being stuck in mediocrity, I still prefer them to keep guys like Miller and Horvat then use that money to more Tyler Myers' and Tanner Pearson. I'm still a fan and like watching good players on my team and Miller and Horvat are good players on good contracts.

If we are talking about current management doing a full and proper rebuild then ok, maybe we consider trading Miller but Benning's mandate is and has always been to re-tool quickly and build a contender - and I don't see that changing.

Nov 1, 2011
I think we need to improve our team toughness especially with a guy like Poldi coming in and likely stirring some stuff up.

Should sign UFA Kevan Miller from BOS as a 3rd pair placeholder that can provide some real protection for the kids, shouldn't be too expensive - would also still keep Hamonic.

Also would love to get Tanner Jeannot as it seems that Nashville won't be able to protect him. May be get him for a 3rd/4th - he would be a good middle 6 forward for us.

MacEwen, JT Miller, Hamonic, Jeannot, and Kevan Miller would provide some toughness to try and help ensure that Poldi doesn't get beat-up the same way Jake Virtanen did when he entered the league.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I think we need to improve our team toughness especially with a guy like Poldi coming in and likely stirring some stuff up.

Should sign UFA Kevan Miller from BOS as a 3rd pair placeholder that can provide some real protection for the kids, shouldn't be too expensive - would also still keep Hamonic.

Also would love to get Tanner Jeannot as it seems that Nashville won't be able to protect him. May be get him for a 3rd/4th - he would be a good middle 6 forward for us.

MacEwen, JT Miller, Hamonic, Jeannot, and Kevan Miller would provide some toughness to try and help ensure that Poldi doesn't get beat-up the same way Jake Virtanen did when he entered the league.
Who is poldi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->