Fantasy GM Thread | Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hughes + Miller + 1st for Eichel

We replace Hughes in this draft with one of the many LD available in our range.
Rathbone is the new PPQB.

Hog - Eichel - Boeser
Pearson - Petterson - Podkolzin
Motte - Horvat - Macewan
Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

Edler - Shmidt
Rathbone - hamonic
Joulevi - Myers

We replace someone on that left side with our top LD pick from this year.
We still come under the cap based on EP @ $8Mx3 elder @ 2.5mill. We'd have more if we buyout JV.
The year after our cap space blows wide open with many bad contracts expiring.

Does Buffalo have better offers?
What are they? I think the Canucks can improve on this offer without breaking a sweat.
An unhappy superstar is a tarnished asset, but the truth is the team acquiring that asset gets a happy superstar.
If not Miller, then Horvat. If not 1 1st then 2. There are limits to what we can give, but Eichel and Petey down the middle is something to look at.

You guys made us incredibly worse.
No way Eichel returns Hughes, Miller, and a top 1st rounder, Even more so with his injury situation.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The other thing I wonder with Horvat is, if Vegas crashes out early in the playoffs again how much would they be willing to bay for a center like him? Obviously Eichel is their first choice but if that can't ... do they do Krebs + Hague for Horvat?
I'd be all over that trade. Love Krebs game.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
There is absolutely no Eichel trade that makes sense for the Canucks unless Kevyn Adams goes temporarily insane.

Reactions: m9 and Nucker101

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If Blue jackets blow it up would you trade a top 5+ pick for Zach Werenski?
In a vacuum yes, but he's going to go straight to UFA in two seasons.

If we were competitive I'd covet Bjorkstrand and Jenner but other than that there's not much of value to want on their roster after Jones, Werenski and Laine all walk in the next two years.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There is absolutely no Eichel trade that makes sense for the Canucks unless Kevyn Adams goes temporarily insane.
It could get there. Some of the conversation around Eichel is that he might have to miss all next season if he gets surgery. No one actually knows yet but if that ends up being true, the price will be very low.

Other teams should want Eichel way more than us though, teams like Vegas and Minnesota should be selling the farm for him where they're in the middle of a contention window but have poor centre depth.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
In a vacuum yes, but he's going to go straight to UFA in two seasons.

If we were competitive I'd covet Bjorkstrand and Jenner but other than that there's not much of value to want on their roster after Jones, Werenski and Laine all walk in the next two years.

I'd trade Miller straight up for Bjorkstrand. He has 5 years on his deal and is 26. You'll be getting value eventually unless this team sucks for another 5 years.

Reactions: Nucker101

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'd trade Miller straight up for Bjorkstrand. He has 5 years on his deal and is 26. You'll be getting value eventually unless this team sucks for another 5 years.

Would be very interested in this—Bjorkstrand is a fantastic player on a great contract. Remember a lot of posters being really interested in him in 2013 draft where we went with Cole Cassels a few spots ahead of him...

Reactions: vanuck

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We got enough 170 lb wingers, we're talking about elite level athletes here guys. Turn on the playoffs and check out the size of NHL hockey players

6'2 210 lb Miller than plays C/W for 5'10 170 lb pork stand

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A first, Eriksson and Podkolzin (Buffalo fans won't back down from his inclusion) for Reinhart+ from Buffalo.

We flip Reinhart, Roussel and a second for Jones and Domi from Columbus.

We don't lose a roster piece and add a top defender and a top six forward.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I would be so, so hesitant to give Bo 6 years or more. I feel like he's one of those Kesler-like players who is going to wreck his body and not be very effective into his 30s. I'd give him 5 years tops, maybe even 4, but pay a premium for it (~$7.5M or so).
Bo barely throws hits and doesn’t get into slashing/crosscheck battles, Kesler was way more of a bulldog than Bo is which kinda sucks but will probably BOde well for his longevity.

Miller is the one I’d worry about, but he’s really only like that in the offensive zone, Kesler was battling at both ends of the ice.

And yes, I’m a Kesler stan lol. I miss having players like him and Burrows that would annoy the shit out of opponents but were actually damn good hockey players who would do anything to win.

The Benning era can probably be defined as “easy to play against” and yet people still defend this clown GM

Reactions: PM

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I’d explore an Eichel trade with Horvat as the centrepiece. Then find a way to pry Faksa out of Dallas, he had a pretty bad season and would be a fantastic buy low candidate. Would finally provide the team with a checking / match-up center.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If the BPA in this draft is a centre and that centre projects as a #1 or #2, I would consider trading Horvat. Pettersson, Hughes, Rathbone, Boeser, Hoglander and Podkolzin is a nice young core. Demko is young for a goalie. Between Horvat, Miller, and Schmidt they could potential get a number of high draft picks and a decent, young top 4 defensive defenseman. It's a rebuild yes but it's a rebuild on a foundation of 7 young seriously talented players already in the system and a high end centre on the way.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If the BPA in this draft is a centre and that centre projects as a #1 or #2, I would consider trading Horvat. Pettersson, Hughes, Rathbone, Boeser, Hoglander and Podkolzin is a nice young core. Demko is young for a goalie. Between Horvat, Miller, and Schmidt they could potential get a number of high draft picks and a decent, young top 4 defensive defenseman. It's a rebuild yes but it's a rebuild on a foundation of 7 young seriously talented players already in the system and a high end centre on the way.
if you go that route then you move Miller too.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
if you go that route then you move Miller too.
Exactly. Miller and Schmidt. Bring in a 23 year old top 4 D-man plus picks. You have to believe that teams who are contenders now would love to have any one of the three and would be willing to give up a younger asset and picks.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Exactly. Miller and Schmidt. Bring in a 23 year old top 4 D-man plus picks. You have to believe that teams who are contenders now would love to have any one of the three and would be willing to give up a younger asset and picks.
I like that plan, but I highly doubt ownership would even consider it or hire someone who wants to do it.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I'd like to see us get Philip Forsberg from the Preds,,he would look great with Pettersson...wonder what the cost would be..Eichel is out of our range imo...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd like to see us get Philip Forsberg from the Preds,,he would look great with Pettersson...wonder what the cost would be..Eichel is out of our range imo...
Trading for Forsberg is a luxury this team sadly can't afford, in terms of asset and cap room. Too many bigger issues to deal with first, signing EP/QH, getting a 3C, fixing this mess of a defense are more pressing needs than upgrading the top 6.

Reactions: canuckking1

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Isn’t Eichel getting like experimental back surgery? And a bit of an entitled a hole? Sounds like Hodgson all over again except his injury has already happened before he would be acquired. Hard pass unless he’s healthy. His cap hit will be insane too once he’s up for renewal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hughes + Miller + 1st for Eichel

We replace Hughes in this draft with one of the many LD available in our range.
Rathbone is the new PPQB.

Hog - Eichel - Boeser
Pearson - Petterson - Podkolzin
Motte - Horvat - Macewan
Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

Edler - Shmidt
Rathbone - hamonic
Joulevi - Myers

We replace someone on that left side with our top LD pick from this year.
We still come under the cap based on EP @ $8Mx3 elder @ 2.5mill. We'd have more if we buyout JV.
The year after our cap space blows wide open with many bad contracts expiring.

Does Buffalo have better offers?
What are they? I think the Canucks can improve on this offer without breaking a sweat.
An unhappy superstar is a tarnished asset, but the truth is the team acquiring that asset gets a happy superstar.
If not Miller, then Horvat. If not 1 1st then 2. There are limits to what we can give, but Eichel and Petey down the middle is something to look at.

Not only is this far too much, Horvat is completely wasted on a third line. If we're giving up pieces for Eichel, it likely means either Horvat or Petterrsson should be moved out as either part of the deal itself or in a separate to address other needs.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Thoughts on Tyson Jost? If I read correctly
the Avs likely can’t protect him from expansion draft.

Any chance we get him for the 3C spot?

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Thoughts on Tyson Jost? If I read correctly
the Avs likely can’t protect him from expansion draft.

Any chance we get him for the 3C spot?

Think I would pass. Not really the kind of Centre I would want for #3. He's not good in the faceoff dot, and his build is more of a top 6-upside kind of forward, but he hasn't really clicked yet at the pro level. If you want to target a pending RFA in Colorado I would rather it be Conor Timmins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->