Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Elliotte also mentions teams are calling on Schmidt and Motte.
Everyone needs to be on the block. The cap situation is messed.

If you get a high pick for Motte, that's your ticket to dumping Roussel.

Need to figure out a way to get out from underneath of Roussel/Holtby/Eriksson this offseason. It's the biggest need of the organization - both short and long term. Another bad year will upset the stars of the team which isn't good long term either.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Motte will return squat. Better to keep him.

Schmidt might garner something but with his cap hit, likely not much given the Nucks got him for 3rd.

Plus we need people to actually play defence.

Rather try and trade the giraffe for anything even if it’s someone close in AAV but on a shorter deal.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Motte will return squat. Better to keep him.

Schmidt might garner something but with his cap hit, likely not much given the Nucks got him for 3rd.

Plus we need people to actually play defence.

Rather try and trade the giraffe for anything even if it’s someone close in AAV but on a shorter deal.

Motte could be in line for a Barclay Goodrow-type return. The Canucks can't afford to say no to that.

No one is taking Myers, quit dreaming. Especially given the $5M signing bonus he is due in a few months.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Motte could be in line for a Barclay Goodrow-type return. The Canucks can't afford to say no to that.

No one is taking Myers, quit dreaming. Especially given the $5M signing bonus he is due in a few months.

Agreed on Motte. Did some good things in the playoffs last year and is super cheap for the next two years. I think the return would be higher than most think.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
So we lose Demko as a UFA?
my bad thought he had 2 rfa left. sign for 1 year then re-sign after. basic point is to try to bridge until most bad contracts are gone at the end of next season. but with recent play i doubt theyd sign 1 year

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Need to figure out a way to get out from underneath of Roussel/Holtby/Eriksson this offseason. It's the biggest need of the organization - both short and long term. Another bad year will upset the stars of the team which isn't good long term either.

Yup. I think minor assets acquired would be all that's needed to move low actual cash guys like Roussel and Beagle. I think Holtby at 5.7M is impossible to move. No one is gonna take on actual cash like that. Loui could probably move with our 2nd like Staal was especially considering his cash commitments and that are 2nd is likely gonna be an early one.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yup. I think minor assets acquired would be all that's needed to move low actual cash guys like Roussel and Beagle. I think Holtby at 5.7M is impossible to move. No one is gonna take on actual cash like that. Loui could probably move with our 2nd like Staal was especially considering his cash commitments and that are 2nd is likely gonna be an early one.
Detroit uses Staal and likely gets something for him at the deadline. Can you realistically imagine anyone doing that with 36 year Loui Eriksson? I can’t.

It’ll be like Marleau and a team willing to eat a buyout. I’d rather bury it if the cost is a 1st.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Does anyone know if this year's signing bonuses are set to be paid as they normally are on July 1st? If it moved forward a month maybe Seattle would take Myers (the expansion draft is July 21) as his 5M bonus would be paid? Grasping at straws here...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Friedman suggest the Jets might be interested in Hamonic if Ekholm is too expensive.

Should take whatever we can get for him.

While he is from Manitoba, Hamonic has a full no move clause so he gets to decide whether or not the team trades him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Detroit uses Staal and likely gets something for him at the deadline. Can you realistically imagine anyone doing that with 36 year Loui Eriksson? I can’t.

It’ll be like Marleau and a team willing to eat a buyout. I’d rather bury it if the cost is a 1st.

If it cost a 1st I'd agree that burying him is the best option. Just optimistic that a high 2nd in the 36-40 range would be enticing enough for one of the rebuilding teams. Loui is only owed 3M in real cash maybe throw in a prospect like Lind?

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Does anyone know if this year's signing bonuses are set to be paid as they normally are on July 1st? If it moved forward a month maybe Seattle would take Myers (the expansion draft is July 21) as his 5M bonus would be paid? Grasping at straws here...
I'm 99.9% sure that signing bonuses are paid out on their set days (July 1st or 15th) regardless of when the season runs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
His final season also has a $5m bonus

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
let's try this cap math another way.

if i subtract all twelve roster positions that are either ufa or rfa and the various other things coming off you remove around $28 million right now.

but you have 10 forwards (including mott and eriksson), 2 dmen and a goalie under contract next year. and you have to add back mott and eriksson's full salaries back from ltir and the taxi squad.

so in reality you save about $26million and you have at least 10 roster spots to fill.

now allocate a minimum of $1m per empty roster spot as a baseline, because you are going to spend that to field a team.

and so you have $16m total to spend on paying any of those 10 roster guys more than $1million next year.

so pretty much all our raise money belongs to hughes, pettersson and demko. and there is not enough to do longterm deals.

which means we are replacing edler, hamonic and benn with roughly $1m contracts. maybe one $2m deal.

and that is all assuming a cap overage based on maxing out ferlund's ltir as we are doing right now.
i think your math is wrong - when i used the capfriendly gm feature, it told me that we'd have $21.5MM assuming we promote podkolzin, woo, rathbone and sign 5 guys to $1MM contracts.

My guesstimates if these are bridge deals
8x3 for EP (one more than Barzal got)
5.75x3 for QH (roughly 7% of the cap which is in line w what young defensemen have gotten)
2.75x1 for Demko - he'd be a UFA if they went longer I think?
=16.5

They could have a bit of room to play with to fill out the roster better on one year deals but they'd have to sign Boeser the following year and Horvat/Miller become eligible to re-sign at that point.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
i think your math is wrong - when i used the capfriendly gm feature, it told me that we'd have $21.5MM assuming we promote podkolzin, woo, rathbone and sign 5 guys to $1MM contracts.

My guesstimates if these are bridge deals
8x3 for EP (one more than Barzal got)
5.75x3 for QH (roughly 7% of the cap which is in line w what young defensemen have gotten)
2.75x1 - he'd be a UFA if they went longer I think?
=16.5

They could have a bit of room to play with to fill out the roster better on one year deals but they'd have to sign Boeser the following year and Horvat/Miller become eligible to re-sign at that point.
How does re-signing Demko fit into this?

edit: my bad. it's right there in black and white.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
How does re-signing Demko fit into this?
2.75x1 was my estimate of a one year bridge for demko* based on recent comparables

edited the bolded forgot to incl that lol

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
2.75x1 was my estimate of a one year bridge for demko* based on recent comparables

edited the bolded forgot to incl that lol
Probably not that far off on a one year bridge. And Gaudette? Assuming you're not resigning Edler.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Exactly. Clearing up cap space so we can actually try to make improvements and not simply tread water after this offseason's extensions for EP/Hughes is key. Moving Schmidt is an interesting idea too, though to me he's still a positive asset on this roster and I don't actually mind hanging onto him for the time being.

Unfortunately, either way I don't think any of this is happening with Benning still here. Can't see him being willing to deal Hamonic, Motte, Pearson or Sutter...

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Probably not that far off on a one year bridge. And Gaudette? Assuming you're not resigning Edler.
I just did it as an exercise to let people fill in what other variables they want. You can use the $5MM and redistribute it however you’d like. Take out two of those $1m contracts, and then spend $3.5MM on Edler and 3.5MM on a third line center maybe.

But the problem is that for the second consecutive offseason, we are talking about how to bring back a similar roster that is not capable of winning anything rather than upgrading it.

If I had to guess, Podkolzin’s production will be similar to Pearson’s as is. Anyone they sign for a 3c role will be an upgrade on Sutter. Bringing back Edler and replacing Woo with Hamonic... like this is as things stand going to be basically another bubble team.

They do not have the space to sign more than one of their RFA’s long term and even if they did, that would mean we won’t get a top four D like Edler or we don’t upgrade spend on a third line center.

They need to sell everything they can this deadline to get the assets necessary to pay someone to take Roussel, Eriksson, Holtby.

This sentiment should be agreed upon by everyone on any side of the fanbase. They have capspace problems again that will limit their short and long term goals unless they sacrifice this season.

Last edited:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I just did it as an exercise to let people fill in what other variables they want. You can use the $5MM and redistribute it however you’d like. Take out two of those $1m contracts, and then spend $3.5MM on Edler and 3.5MM on a third line center maybe.

But the problem is that for the second consecutive offseason, we are talking about how to bring back a similar roster that is not capable of winning anything rather than upgrading it.

If I had to guess, Podkolzin’s production will be similar to Pearson’s as is. Anyone they sign for a 3c role will be an upgrade on Sutter. Bringing back Edler and replacing Woo with Hamonic... like this is as things stand going to be basically another bubble team.

They do not have the space to sign more than one of their RFA’s long term and even if they did, that would mean we won’t get a top four D like Edler or we don’t upgrade spend on a third line center.

They need to sell everything they can this deadline to get the assets necessary to pay someone to take Roussel, Eriksson, Holtby.

This sentiment should be agreed upon by everyone on any side of the fanbase. They have capspace problems again that will limit their short and long term goals unless they sacrifice this season.

I am not at all supportive of paying picks to clear out contracts signed two months ago....or any contracts tbh. We are not a contender. We are not close.

Virtanen buyout is cheap
Holtby buyout is cheap
Stuck with Roussel, Ferland, Eriksson amd Beagle.
There is a tiny chance Myers gets picked in expansion.

The team is f***ed. Well f***ed. Unless we deal two full drafts worth of picks, we won't dig out far enough to matter.

But this is exactly what the bitter bros predicted in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Benning is a moron and will do moronic things. Now we pay for it....for a long time to come.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

This is being discussed in depth on Twitter. Some understandable points being made.

If we're truly 2 years away like Benning suggests, why wouldn't you look to move on Schmidt?

He'll be 31-32 then making almost 6 million for a couple more seasons. Won't fit in with the core at that point and you could probably get some real future oriented pieces for him.

I'm saying this while thinking he's probably been our best defender.

Reactions: timw33

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is being discussed in depth on Twitter. Some understandable points being made.

If we're truly 2 years away like Benning suggests, why wouldn't you look to move on Schmidt?

He'll be 31-32 then making almost 6 million for a couple more seasons. Won't fit in with the core at that point and you could probably get some real future oriented pieces for him.

I'm saying this while thinking he's probably been our best defender.
Benning is the no plan King. We are two years away, so he trades Madden and second for Tofoli. Then he brings in an aging Schmidt. But what’s even more disappointing is he two years ago, when we were four years away (according to the no plan King) he traded a first for Miller. Didn’t he figure out Miller will be gone when we are just ready to compete, according to his plan?
So if Benning is to be believed, and he is following a plan, he gave away Madden, a first, a second and two thirds for three aging players who will not even be on the team when we are ready to truly compete. Oh My God! Was our owner ran over by a blueberry picking machine?

Reactions: tyhee and mriswith

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Benning is the no plan King. We are two years away, so he trades Madden and second for Tofoli. Then he brings in an aging Schmidt. But what’s even more disappointing is he two years ago, when we were four years away (according to the no plan King) he traded a first for Miller. Didn’t he figure out Miller will be gone when we are just ready to compete, according to his plan?
So Benning

The plan changes day to day, year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad