Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The plan changes day to day, year to year.
Exactly! Was not t Bennng trying to sign Marky right up to the last minute? Same with Tofoli? The amount of assets this guy has bled from our team, during a friggin’ rebuilding phase, is unbelievable! What in the heck is our owner doing?

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
This is being discussed in depth on Twitter. Some understandable points being made.

If we're truly 2 years away like Benning suggests, why wouldn't you look to move on Schmidt?

He'll be 31-32 then making almost 6 million for a couple more seasons. Won't fit in with the core at that point and you could probably get some real future oriented pieces for him.

I'm saying this while thinking he's probably been our best defender.
we where 2 years away,,2 years ago..and 2 years from now ,will be another 2 years away...he has had more then enough time....he needs to go..

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Guys on 650 this morning talking about Friedman saying GMs are phoning Benning about Schmidt.
What?
Is there value in Schmidt?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Guys on 650 this morning talking about Friedman saying GMs are phoning Benning about Schmidt.
What?

It would be a tough trade to pull off as you need a team that a) wants to add long-term money in the middle of the season b) is in the playoff mix c) either has the cap space or can match the salary in return d)has an expansion slot available (or don't care about exposing Schmidt)

For all of these reasons, I doubt a trade happens. It's an interesting idea though as if you think this team isn't competitive this year and may struggle again next year it makes sense to move him while he has value and is worth his contract. Even if you think Schmidt is worth his contract this year and next - which is arguable - you assume there will be some regression going forward after that.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I like Scmidtty, but I’m certainly not attached to him, having a capable player is more important to me than anything, I’m not a good enough armchair GM to understand the formula where we get a more cost effective younger player to fulfill his role, I live in a world of fear where all the Larssens, Johnson’s, Pouliots, Maatas and Sbisas fall short of their projections and you are saddled with lousy players making good coin

Schmidt is a safe play for us to keep, unless we get a gross overpayment

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Unless there is a legitimate plan to replace Schmidt on the right side, trading him would be disastrous. We are already in dire need of a major upgrade on Benn long term. We don't have anyone in the system capable of stepping in. Chatfield isn't good enough, Rafferty doesn't seem to be an NHL player, Tryamkin's situation is not reliable, Woo is promising but untested. All we have on the right side is Myers and he should not have top pairing minutes. If Edler re-signs, then Schmidt stays on the right and we still need a Benn upgrade. If Edler walks, then you could move Schmidt to the left but now are in need of two highly capable right side D... without the cap space to sign them. In all probability we are looking at stop-gap solutions next season. Something pretty bold is likely going to have to be done to rebuild the D-core.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
What?
Some one please pull the plug on Bennings .phone..This fool should not be making any moves at all.I want some one with a brain to be making trades.Benning built this mess,let him sit with it all.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really like Schmidt and think he's been our best defender this year.

However :

If you can get a #1 pick for him and then use that #1 pick to flog Eriksson off on Ottawa or Detroit, you've cleared $12 million in cap space for next season which would allow a lot of freedom to build a competitive roster.

That said, Jim Benning is not capable of making a transaction like this and Jim Benning should not be allowed to make significant decisions like this.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

However :

If you can get a #1 pick for him and then use that #1 pick to flog Eriksson off on Ottawa or Detroit, you've cleared $12 million in cap space for next season which would allow a lot of freedom to build a competitive roster.

That said, Jim Benning is not capable of making a transaction like this and Jim Benning should not be allowed to make significant decisions like this.

this is the only situation that works, you would essentially be doing what Vegas did in order to get Pieterangelo

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

More than double the NBC deal. Cap is probably gonna go up quite a bit. I think Contracts may be easier to move as a result. What are we thinking about Demko/Pettersson/Hughes now? I think you have to lock Petey up long-term with an escalating cap.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Let's just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Benning spent years whining about the number of NTCs left to him, saying they handicapped his ability to make moves.

Since then, he has signed or acquired:

Sutter - limited NTC
Roussel - limited NTC
Beagle - limited NTC
Edler - Full NMC
Myers - NTC
Benn - limited NTC
Hamonic - NMC
Ferland - NMC this year, NTC for the rest of the deal
Eriksson - NTC
Schmidt - limited NTC

More NTCs than at any point under Gillis, for significantly worse players and team results. Seriously, look at that f***ing list! Everyone's talking about moving Sutter at the deadline, this guy could sewer that option by blocking trades to everyone looking to load up for the playoffs.

The Gillis NTCs weren't ideal, but they at least got him good value contracts. We're paying Roussel $3m per with an NTC! Sutter $4.4m!
Absolutely hilarious.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think many gms would take the heat of paying us enough to move schmidt considering what we recently paid for him. unless he's a bad dressing room fit and we want him out, this sounds like the kind of harmless low volume chatter sources give out to keep the friedmans fed.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'd trade Schmidt but it would have to be an absolute haul; and I don't mean Taylor.

Effectively a 1st + a young Top 4 d prospect ready to play immediately.

It really depends on who is asking and their appetite.

Reactions: supercanuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
When Pettersson returns from injury I really want to see the following:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Pettersson-Horvat-Virtanen/Gaudette
Pearson-Sutter-Gaudette/Virtanen
Offensive-black-hole

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

However :

100%. Schmidt is a great player, but if Benning can convert the 3rd -> Schmidt -> 1st or top prospect, it would be his single greatest transaction.

That said, it's Benning, so not happening.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
we where 2 years away,,2 years ago..and 2 years from now ,will be another 2 years away...he has had more then enough time....he needs to go..

no matter how many ideas we can come up with to make the team better.. or how many times management/analysts/poster say we are close.. realistically until the eriksson contract and luongo recapture is gone the canucks cant be 2 years away from anything besides pipe dreams and disappointment.
and thats coming from someone overly optimistic about the young players/prospects we have

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Impatience is a BAD thing, id give this GM team a least a few more years to ice a competitive team that can try in make the playoffs

Reactions: vanuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think this may have been discussed before but

Pettersson for Eichel. Would you do it and what would have to be added by either side to make it happen?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think this may have been discussed before but

Pettersson for Eichel. Would you do it and what would have to be added by either side to make it happen?
Eichel and Couzins for Pettersson and Chatfield

But I wouldnt do it, id rather offer Horvat

Horvat, Juolevi, Virtanen, Gadvovich, 2022 3rd rounder, Chatfield and 2023 6th rounder for Eichel and 2021 2nd

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Obviously, some sort of trade is the best scenario for these guys. However, if that's not an option..

A roster build with buying out Holtby, Roussel, Virtanen, and Eriksson makes things a bit more tolerable next year. I know some say FA would never, but he saves actual money this way so I don't know why he would care if a new GM came in and cleaned out the garbage.

Those 4 right now:
2021-22: 15.85 million
2022-23: $0

With a buyout:
2021-22: 6.26 million
2022-23: 4.04 million

I think that 4 million in 2022-23 isn't too bad to get rid of those 4.

Reactions: Diamonddog01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad