Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Any thoughts on Nick Cousins or Alex Wennberg?

Like the Nic Paul suggestion thrown out there.

Wennberg will probably be too rich for our blood. Took a 1-year contract to rebuild his career with 2C minutes in FLA and will most likely try to land a bigger deal this offseason. That being said, he'd be a great fit as 3C here but I don't see him as a realistic target.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Edler, Hamonic, Benn, Pearson, Sutter

HM: Motte, Miller if we can’t move those expirings

I think there’s two high picks, a mid round pick, and two late ones from that UFA group.

That asset haul is enough to pay the costs to dump Eriksson, Roussel, and a portion of Holtby combined in the summer. Buy out JV. Keep Beagle as he serves a purpose (although if you can trade him for cheap, do it)

The reason I put Motte, Miller in HM is that if we can’t accumulate assets that would help us dump salary in the summer, then we should trade those guys with high value as it’ll be another mediocre year anyways.

Reactions: vanuck

mail

Mar 2, 2021
I wouldn't mind trying to ship Miller for Ekholm, or Miller + for Parayko/Provorov

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

I think there’s two high picks, a mid round pick, and two late ones from that UFA group.

That asset haul is enough to pay the costs to dump Eriksson, Roussel, and a portion of Holtby combined in the summer. Buy out JV. Keep Beagle as he serves a purpose (although if you can trade him for cheap, do it)

The reason I put Motte, Miller in HM is that if we can’t accumulate assets that would help us dump salary in the summer, then we should trade those guys with high value as it’ll be another mediocre year anyways.
Jim Bennings top priority,,to sign all the above..just wait and see..this ship while its sinking,,he adds more cement to it...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Edler has a NMC

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Love to see us move coming UFAs, but will Benning be even allowed (by the owner) to make ant deals?
Fantasy would be Benning/Brod are replaced by a competent GM and AGM soon, so these moves can be made.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
ROUND OUT NEXT YEARS ROSTER to 23

You got 9 million to spend and these are your free agents and this is your roster components committed to. Need 5 players

F = Pettersson Miller Boeser Horvat Hoglander Podkolzin Virtanen Motte Beagle Roussel MacEwen
D = Schmidt Hughes Myers Juolevi Rathbone
G = Demko Holtby

Noteworthy possible replacements

UFAs
Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins Schwartz Saad Hall Hoffman Granlund Tatar Dzingel
Sutter - Wennberg Lowry Laughton Danault Coleman Getzlaf Haula Johansson Bonino Grigorenko Anisimov
Edler - McCabe Nemeth Forbort Kulikov Graves
Hamonic - Hamilton Hjalmarsson Larsson Montour Savard Tryamkin
Benn - Tryamkin Woo Chatfield Rafferty

TRADE?
Virtanen (2.5) - Jost Domi Connolly Bennett McCann Dickinson Armia

RFA's
Gaudette
Hawryluk

Reactions: Luckylarry

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks really missed the boat on the Horvat+small plus for Dubois trade. Core down the middle would've been set. Captain was never getting traded but oh boy would that have been a huge win for Vancouver.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
ROUND OUT NEXT YEARS ROSTER to 23

You got 9 million to spend and these are your free agents and this is your roster components committed to. Need 5 players

F = Pettersson Miller Boeser Horvat Hoglander Podkolzin Virtanen Motte Beagle Roussel MacEwen
D = Schmidt Hughes Myers Juolevi Rathbone
G = Demko Holtby

Noteworthy possible replacements

UFAs
Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins Schwartz Saad Hall Hoffman Granlund Tatar Dzingel
Sutter - Wennberg Lowry Laughton Danault Coleman Getzlaf Haula Johansson Bonino Grigorenko Anisimov
Edler - McCabe Nemeth Forbort Kulikov Graves
Hamonic - Hamilton Hjalmarsson Larsson Montour Savard Tryamkin
Benn - Tryamkin Woo Chatfield Rafferty

TRADE?
Virtanen (2.5) - Jost Domi Connolly Bennett McCann Dickinson Armia

RFA's
Gaudette
Hawryluk
Lockwood is an NHL player; I see him in our bottom six.
Like Haula
Benn or Hamonic will be back.
Jake, I don’t think, has any trade value. If we could get any of those players for Jake I’d be very happy with Jost.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
let's say benning does trade the remaining ufas: benn/pearson/sutter/roussel? maybe offseason move. young players come in the finish off the season. podkolzin in april. should get decent picks for the guys

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
It’s been 7 years, when has Benning ever traded UFA’s for picks? This is a guy that goes after draft picks on draft week when they are valued like gold instead of trade deadlines when picks are given away like candy.

Even if he does sell Pearson and Sutter expect some 20-24 year old prospect on the verge of busting or some useless tweener.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It’s been 7 years, when has Benning ever traded UFA’s for picks? This is a guy that goes after draft picks on draft week when they are valued like gold instead of trade deadlines when picks are given away like candy.

Even if he does sell Pearson and Sutter expect some 20-24 year old prospect on the verge of busting or some useless tweener.

The Burrows and Hansen trade deadline at time felt like we did pretty good. Goldobin appeared like a great addition and watching Dahlen’s Swedish season the following year showed real promise, real shame they both amounted to nothing,

for the most part you are right don’t expect nothing from Benning Boy Bennerson

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Burrows and Hansen trade deadline at time felt like we did pretty good. Goldobin appeared like a great addition and watching Dahlen’s Swedish season the following year showed real promise, real shame they both amounted to nothing,

The thing is we would have been far better off just getting pure pick packages than getting Dahlen and Goldobin age gappers back.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Canucks really missed the boat on the Horvat+small plus for Dubois trade. Core down the middle would've been set. Captain was never getting traded but oh boy would that have been a huge win for Vancouver.
The Canucks were never going to trade Horvat after making him captain. Everybody is so short-sighted. Bo has been good offensively over the past two seasons. It's just this season where he's struggled a bit. But in the playoffs, he was one of the team's best players. He's always been inconsistent, for the first 10 games this season Canucks fans on this board were calling him a 1b.

Green has done a terrible job developing two-way players. Never puts them in positions to learn. Hopefully, the new coach can coach that into him.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
The Canucks were never going to trade Horvat after making him captain. Everybody is so short-sighted. Bo has been good offensively over the past two seasons. It's just this season where he's struggled a bit. But in the playoffs, he was one of the team's best players. He's always been inconsistent, for the first 10 games this season Canucks fans on this board were calling him a 1b.

Green has done a terrible job developing two-way players. Never puts them in positions to learn. Hopefully, the new coach can coach that into him.

He is a player that has talent but not enough to control an entire line. He needs good players to play with and by year 7 we should have these good players. He looks great any time we see Miller or Boeser drop down to his line. He should be playing with players close to his talent to be fully effective. That's a good player, just not a great player.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
He is a player that has talent but not enough to control an entire line. He needs good players to play with and by year 7 we should have these good players. He looks great any time we see Miller or Boeser drop down to his line. He should be playing with players close to his talent to be fully effective. That's a good player, just not a great player.
But Bo has always dragged his teammates across the finish line. He's produced the way he has with a rotation door of players. The only consistent player he's played with is Pearson and he's basically had some of the best stretches of play in his career. Hoglander has played terrific with Bo despite maybe not putting up the best numbers. Hoglander has been snake bit and deserves a heap more points than he has. If he can learn how to finish Bo would have a heap more points too and nobody would be talking about his production.

Horvat doesn't need to be an all-star, he just needs to develop his two-way game. If that happens he's extremely valuable to the team. I still believe with a good coach he can develop his two-way game. Green is not that coach.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The thing is we would have been far better off just getting pure pick packages than getting Dahlen and Goldobin age gappers back.

Those deals 'felt good' because the players we got back were fairly recent high draft picks. But in the end we were basically suckered in both cases by teams that had those players in their system and had tracked them closer than we had and realized there were major issues there, and sold high to Jimbo.

And yeah, in both cases getting picks back would have been highly preferable.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

In a world with a real coach and a gm that surrounded him with support, Bo is a 75-80 point centre and a beast. The problem is Horvat has been run into the ground. I still think he's an elite 2c/average1 problem is Benning just said, "in 2 years, I think this team can be competitive" Do you really wanna pay a power centre who's been nothing but run into the ground and relies on physical attributes for a contract age 28-35?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
In a world with a real coach and a gm that surrounded him with support, Bo is a 75-80 point centre and a beast. The problem is Horvat has been run into the ground. I still think he's an elite 2c/average1 problem is Benning just said, "in 2 years, I think this team can be competitive" Do you really wanna pay a power centre who's been nothing but run into the ground and relies on physical attributes for a contract age 28-35?
I don't think he plays a particularly heavy style at all. Horvat's been pretty healthy and hasn't really had a problem staying healthy. Should they have traded Horvat for PLD? Think about the optics of that trade, I do not think I could make that trade. Just made him captain and you ship him out after grooming him for that role. That must do something for moral too. Also, there was no way a package with Horvat as the main piece would compare to the ransom that Winnipeg paid for PLD.

I believe defensive play can be taught, even in the later years. It's offense that can't IMO. But that might just be the difference in opinion.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think he plays a particularly heavy style at all. Horvat's been pretty healthy and hasn't really had a problem staying healthy. Should they have traded Horvat for PLD? Think about the optics of that trade, I do not think I could make that trade. Just made him captain and you ship him out after grooming him for that role. That must do something for moral too. Also, there was no way a package with Horvat as the main piece would compare to the ransom that Winnipeg paid for PLD.

I believe defensive play can be taught, even in the later years. It's offense that can't IMO. But that might just be the difference in opinion.
I really like Bo, but for him to be his best (on offence) he really needs a puck carrying - play driving winger. Bo does create space above the circles for plays to be made, but I don’t think he’s ever had the correct winger to take advantage of that space.

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad