Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Forward pairs next year:

LW1-Pettersson-Boeser
LW2-Horvat-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Miller-Gaudette
Lockwood-Lind-Motte
MacEwen

Lind being developed at Centre in Utica. With Lockwood and Motte they could be a decent defensively responsible line with speed. If Lind develops, he could move into the 3C spot moving Miller back to the top line. Still need another top 6 winger.

I appreciate that it's not very realistic with Beagle, and Rousell still under contract. But who knows...

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Forward pairs next year:

LW1-Pettersson-Boeser
LW2-Horvat-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Miller-Gaudette
Lockwood-Lind-Motte
MacEwen

Lind being developed at Centre in Utica. With Lockwood and Motte they could be a decent defensively responsible line with speed. If Lind develops, he could move into the 3C spot moving Miller to move back to the top line. Still need another top 6 winger.

I appreciate that it's not very realistic with Beagle, and Rousell still under contract. But who knows...
I think the forwards will be close to what we see now:
Lotto
Hogs, Bo, Pod
Jake, Gaud, Lockwood
Motte, Beagle, Rooster
Lind, Mac
Defence:
Hughes, Schmidt
Bone, Myers
OJ, ?
?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I continue to believe in a Tyler Myers for Adam Henrique trade. Depending on who Anaheim loses in the expansion draft (probably one of Shattenkirk/Manson), once Myers' signing bonus is paid out Myers costs them $4M less than Henrique over the next three years. They could buy out Henrique, but that only costs $1.5M less than Myers, and I wonder if the appetite to do that is there having Kesler on the books for next season and the Perry buyout on the books for the next two seasons.

Henrique would do well centering a third line with like, Gaudette/Hoglander/Podkolzin for depth scoring.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think the forwards will be close to what we see now:
Lotto
Hogs, Bo, Pod
Jake, Gaud, Lockwood
Motte, Beagle, Rooster
Lind, Mac
Defence:
Hughes, Schmidt
Bone, Myers
OJ, ?
?
Yeah, this is probably closer to what will end up happening.
But I really liked the look of Gaudette and Hoglander on the same line last night. High energy and tenacious. They just need a better centre who can keep up. As much as I'd like to see it work, I don't see JV in the line-up next year. If they can add one more top 6 forward that is an improvement from Pearson, with Podkolzin coming over they'll at least be better in the top 6 allowing more balance in the 3rd line. They really need 3 lines that can outperform their match-ups on any given night. Fill the 4th line with energetic yutes that can play defense.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
But I really liked the look of Gaudette and Hoglander on the same line last night. High energy and tenacious. They just need a better centre who can keep up. As much as I'd like to see it work, I don't see JV in the line-up next year. If they can add one more top 6 forward that is an improvement from Pearson, with Podkolzin coming over they'll at least be better in the top 6 allowing more balance in the 3rd line. They really need 3 lines that can outperform their match-ups on any given night. Fill the 4th line with energetic yutes that can play defense.

100%. Something like Hoglander-Haula-Gaudette would be a killer 3rd line next season. If you can create some cap room and snag a straggler like Killorn or Palat out of Tampa, something like:

Lotto
newguy-Bo-Podkolzin
Hog-Haula-Gaudette

would be a pretty good look.

Reactions: iceburg

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Roussel/Beagle have to be on the bottom of roster projections, at least as of now. If it was a football game, next year would be the 4th quarter of those contracts and we are losing 49-0. Might as well run out the clock for the 4th quarter and start fresh the next year.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think Roussel/Beagle have to be on the bottom of roster projections, at least as of now. If it was a football game, next year would be the 4th quarter of those contracts and we are losing 49-0. Might as well run out the clock for the 4th quarter and start fresh the next year.
I think you can count one of them out. Minimally getting the Baertschi treatment. I think Roussel is the clear candidate.

Burying Roussel gives you $1.1m to replace him.

Beagle is at least treading water this year and actually seems like a good character compared to Roussel. He plays Center and PK’s.

They should definitely bury Roussel and Eriksson if they can’t get out from their deals in alternative ways.

I don’t see how two guys for $2.2m combined can’t be better.

The only reason you have all of them back is to be Detroit and Ottawa and tank and I don’t support that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Could we go with Petey, Miller, and Bo as our top three centres? Balance the lines maybe better? What would the lines (kind of) look like?
? Petey Bess
? Miller Pods
Hogs Bo Jake
Motte Beagle MAC
Lind

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's almost impossible to unload bad contracts with multiple years left. The time to get rid of them, when you might actually be able to unload them somehow, is with a year left.

I'm ok with keeping Beagle. Of the horror contracts on the team, his should probably the lowest priority as he is a decent enough #4C/PK guy and at least fills a role competently although horribly overpaid.

On the other hand, I would happily trade a draft pick or mid-level prospect to get Roussel the f*** outta here.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think the picks you get from Pearson/Sutter can be attached to Roussel and Beagle who both make little in real cash. Something like a 2nd+Roussel for a 5th and then a 3rd+5th+Beagle for a 7th. It's why canucks can't stand pat and need to get moving in trying to net secondary assets which can be used to move bad contracts.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
We aren’t getting squat for picks.

Friedman just came out and saying Sutter might bet a 4th or 5th.

Virtanen has no value because of the stupid 2nd year on his contract being 3.4M.

Pearson might return something but that’s about it.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Virtanen has no value because of the stupid 2nd year on his contract being 3.4M.

Pearson's value is probably going down daily too, as he has 1 point in his last 12 games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What are your guys thoughts on dealing JT Miller for Dougie Hamilton? Hamilton is a top pairing RHD.
Love to have Hamilton. Would he stay with us though? Might be too much of a Cap cost too, considering Schmidt, and Hughes.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I continue to believe in a Tyler Myers for Adam Henrique trade. Depending on who Anaheim loses in the expansion draft (probably one of Shattenkirk/Manson), once Myers' signing bonus is paid out Myers costs them $4M less than Henrique over the next three years. They could buy out Henrique, but that only costs $1.5M less than Myers, and I wonder if the appetite to do that is there having Kesler on the books for next season and the Perry buyout on the books for the next two seasons.

Henrique would do well centering a third line with like, Gaudette/Hoglander/Podkolzin for depth scoring.
Who's going to play D here after that trade? While he is massively overpaid, Myers is still a viable bottom 4 guy, and plays the right side. Without him, the RSD we have under contract for next season are Schmidt/Chatfield/Woo/Rafferty. You don't get additional cap space to replace Myers with this trade either.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Who's going to play D here after that trade? While he is massively overpaid, Myers is still a viable bottom 4 guy, and plays the right side. Without him, the RSD we have under contract for next season are Schmidt/Chatfield/Woo/Rafferty. You don't get additional cap space to replace Myers with this trade either.

3C is a more important position than bottom pair D. There are going to be a lot of guys exposed in the expansion draft this year - Matt Benning, Travis Dermott, Markus Nutivaara, John Moore, Dean Kukan, Caleb Jones, etc. Pounce on one or two of them and Myers becomes redundant. Because of the timing of the draft, you'd make these moves first, then ship Myers out.

Edit - On top of that, even if you couldn't get anyone squeezed by the expansion draft, there are plenty of Myers-level defensemen available on the UFA market for cheap. Last year: Vatanen @ $2M, Gudas @ $2.5M, Stecher @ $1.8M, etc.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think you can count one of them out. Minimally getting the Baertschi treatment. I think Roussel is the clear candidate.

Burying Roussel gives you $1.1m to replace him.

Beagle is at least treading water this year and actually seems like a good character compared to Roussel. He plays Center and PK’s.

They should definitely bury Roussel and Eriksson if they can’t get out from their deals in alternative ways.

I don’t see how two guys for $2.2m combined can’t be better.

The only reason you have all of them back is to be Detroit and Ottawa and tank and I don’t support that.

It's almost impossible to unload bad contracts with multiple years left. The time to get rid of them, when you might actually be able to unload them somehow, is with a year left.

I'm ok with keeping Beagle. Of the horror contracts on the team, his should probably the lowest priority as he is a decent enough #4C/PK guy and at least fills a role competently although horribly overpaid.

On the other hand, I would happily trade a draft pick or mid-level prospect to get Roussel the f*** outta here.

I think Eriksson is an obvious buyout. He's already buried and they save an actual million bucks by buying him out. Cap hit next year is 4 million with 1 million in 2022-23, so pretty much the same as burying him for a year. Other than someone wanting that million in cap space a year later, there is no reason for him to not be bought out. And even if you want to delay that cap space, it's not worth a million real money to do it. He's gone.

I'm not going to advocate for keeping Roussel - he sucks. But they're going to have to add or retain to keep him and they haven't shown that they're willing to do that yet. They haven't even shown they'll scratch him, much less bury him. I guess the hope would be new management/new coaching changes that, but we'll see.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
3C is a more important position than bottom pair D. There are going to be a lot of guys exposed in the expansion draft this year - Matt Benning, Travis Dermott, Markus Nutivaara, John Moore, Dean Kukan, Caleb Jones, etc. Pounce on one or two of them and Myers becomes redundant. Because of the timing of the draft, you'd make these moves first, then ship Myers out.

Edit - On top of that, even if you couldn't get anyone squeezed by the expansion draft, there are plenty of Myers-level defensemen available on the UFA market for cheap. Last year: Vatanen @ $2M, Gudas @ $2.5M, Stecher @ $1.8M, etc.
Fair enough I understand what you are saying. I prefer to go cheaper on 3C and have more depth on D (both sides) based on my observation this season. We can sign a guy like Wennberg for around $2.5m for the 3rd line role and give Horvat/Petterson more ice time. Use the rest of the cap to pick up a couple D. I rather add a Dman you listed to this group, than replacing Myers with one, as I am done watching guys like Benn/Hamonic/Chatfield on our bottom 2-3.
Say you are able to acquire one of the D you listed above, then trade Myers. You are looking at something like this for our top 7 next season:
Hughes-Dermott (for example)
Edler(?)-Schmidt
Joulevi-Chatfield
Rathbone?
I feel more comfortable having Myers in Chatfield's slot, in a pinch Myers can move up, whereas Chatfield shouldn't even be an everyday player. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating on keeping Myers at all cost. I just feel like we should allocate the $6m on D (specifically RSD) instead of 3C, unless the 3C is an upgrade, which Henrique isn't, IMO.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Fair enough I understand what you are saying. I prefer to go cheaper on 3C and have more depth on D (both sides) based on my observation this season. We can sign a guy like Wennberg for around $2.5m for the 3rd line role and give Horvat/Petterson more ice time. Use the rest of the cap to pick up a couple D. I rather add a Dman you listed to this group, than replacing Myers with one, as I am done watching guys like Benn/Hamonic/Chatfield on our bottom 2-3.
Say you are able to acquire one of the D you listed above, then trade Myers. You are looking at something like this for our top 7 next season:
Hughes-Dermott (for example)
Edler(?)-Schmidt
Joulevi-Chatfield
Rathbone?
I feel more comfortable having Myers in Chatfield's slot, in a pinch Myers can move up, whereas Chatfield shouldn't even be an everyday player. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating on keeping Myers at all cost. I just feel like we should allocate the $6m on D (specifically RSD) instead of 3C, unless the 3C is an upgrade, which Henrique isn't, IMO.

Agreed you need a guy on the 3rd pairing that can jump into the top 4 ... that should be Edler, who can't hold down a top 4 role regularly anymore.

Schmidt-UFA [Savard/Larsson type, ~$4M guy)
Hughes-[Dermott/Benning]
Edler-UFA [Biega/Weber/Pysyk type, ~750K guy)
Ex: Juolevi, mabe Benn on a ~$1M extension, etc

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Could we go with Petey, Miller, and Bo as our top three centres? Balance the lines maybe better? What would the lines (kind of) look like?
? Petey Bess
? Miller Pods
Hogs Bo Jake
Motte Beagle MAC
Lind
If they pickup two top six wingers for sure - difficult ask but why not try. I know you're holding out for Jake to be on that third line. I have been too. But I really think he needs to move on. For his benefit as much as for the club's.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Just trade them as soon as possible before any season ending injuries happen. Every game is a risk of losing an extra pick

O who am i kidding we aint getting no picks, this is Jim Benning ffs :shakehead

Jim-Benning-Canucks-1.jpg

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'd the Canucks land a one of the forwards in the top 5 at the draft I wonder if Anaheim would entertain him for Drysdale? Would be an ideal partner for Hughes. Or Canucks just go with another lefty and have lots of left side depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad