Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Zboril for Virtanen would be interesting imo, but I doubt that's actually on the table. Bs fans still seem pretty high on his upside, and he brings an interesting skillset

Long story short, he's not necessarily some scrub

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Zboril for Virtanen would be interesting imo, but I doubt that's actually on the table. Bs fans still seem pretty high on his upside, and he brings an interesting skillset

Long story short, he's not necessarily some scrub
He’s not really valuable. I think he’s only getting a chance because of the pandemic.

Sheltered 3rd pair guy.

I want Jack Studnicka. Clears all Virtanen’s salary. RH C prospect who can skate.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He’s not really valuable. I think he’s only getting a chance because of the pandemic.

Sheltered 3rd pair guy.

I want Jack Studnicka. Clears all Virtanen’s salary. RH C prospect who can skate.
That would be amazing, but I can't imagine Virtanen has that kinda value.

If its Boston I'm sure it'll be Ritchie

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Sheltered 3rd pair guy.

Love to get Studnicka. They would have to love Jake for us to get that kid in return though.
Best just keep Jake if the return is only a sideways move, which is what (imo) it will be.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Studnicka would be an absolute no go (especially for Jake), they're counting on him to be a contributor down the middle once Bergeron & Krejci age out

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That would be amazing, but I can't imagine Virtanen has that kinda value.

If its Boston I'm sure it'll be Ritchie
Ritchie is not getting moved. Boston likes him. He’s playing really well. It would cost more to get Ritchie imo.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I didn’t realize Studnicka was so highly regarded. I like him but I’m not sure he’s a no go.

These are the moves Vancouver needs to make.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nick Ritchie has been playing, and producing, on Boston's 1st unit powerplay. Going to go ahead and say they aren't going to trade him for Virtanen right now.

Reactions: 420Canuck

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't think Ritchie is playing particularly well.
He's off to a nice start pts wise, and he hits sometimes, but he's really not a needle mover 5v5, and has just been the beneficiary of a talented PP.

Reactions: Momesso

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
IMO Nick Ritchie is a young Pat Maroon. Not terrible, not a top 6er but can be useful in a heavy series.

I'm sure we'd give up a bit extra (my guess is a 4th) that's the Benning way.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I didn’t realize Studnicka was so highly regarded. I like him but I’m not sure he’s a no go.

These are the moves Vancouver needs to make.

I'm not sure it's a matter of him being highly regarded as much as Boston's prospect center depth being so weak and them having a big need in the near future with Bergeron/Krejci getting older.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure it's a matter of him being highly regarded as much as Boston's prospect center depth being so weak and them having a big need in the near future with Bergeron/Krejci getting older.
This and Jake has little to no value, especially with his new contract.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Tyler Myers is awful, at least on the Canucks, who knows maybe with a more stable d core and system where defense is actually played his teammates can cover for his confusing gaffes and horrible turnovers. Seattle taking him is a pipe dream, and I'm not sure the price we'd have to pay to get them to take him

Theirs no way we can get out of the contract, but maybe we trade him for a player with another bad contract that might fit our team more (#3 center, dman who can play defense etc.)

Some possible trade targets:
Henrique (5.85x4yr)
Scandella (3.25x4yr)
Nyquist ( 5.5x3yr)
Coyle (5.25x6yr)
JVR ( 7x3yr)
Dumulin (4.1x3yr) 0r Petey's buddy Matheson (4.9x6yr)
Oshie (5.75x5yr)
Backlund (5.4x4yr)
Zaitsev (4.75x4yr)
Little (5.4x5yr)

Obviously none of these trade are gonna happen because of ED, cap, some players being way better then Myers/teams have no reason to move player, but I needed some way to cope with his play. Some of these could end up being way worse then Myers, but I just cant stand him taking another casual stroll causing another odd man break.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't think Ritchie is playing particularly well.
He's off to a nice start pts wise, and he hits sometimes, but he's really not a needle mover 5v5, and has just been the beneficiary of a talented PP.
You’re not wrong but you’re still describing a player much better than virtanen.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I still find all this Myers talk at a complete double standard.

Edler is being over used.
Schmidt is still figuring things out, as a recent transplant.
Hughes can't be expected to play his game and be good at defense.
Benn was never supposed to play so much.
Juolevi is still getting used to the NHL.
Chatfield is way over his head through no fault of his own.

But Myers....right off the bat these boards hated him. No Schmidt like period of adjustment, no Hughes like excusing of surrendering scoring chances due to play style (his Calder winning seasons was 5 points off Hughes on a much worse team, for reference), only an admission that he is being overused, like Edler and Benn (likely to shelter Hughes, I should add).Because of his size, everyone expected a bruiser, or at least a shut down guy. The guys always been an offensive minded D, and that's who was signed and brought in. We didn't know what Hughes was (realistically) projected to be yet, we've had years of subpar offense from our D (see the list below). We complain about not having someone to handle big forwards in front of our net (anyone remember Bieksa vs. Byfuglien against Chicago?), and then don't like the size mismatch penalties (even I, trying to defend him, admit some of them have been stupid on Myers' part). We want our superstar sophomore defenseman, aging elder statesman on D, rookies and new acquisition to all have sheltered minutes, but think we're overplaying the only guys that falls outside of those descriptions. We don't want Benning trading for a player (as we often seemed to over pay before very recently), but we get pissed when he overpays in free agency (I mean this one is fair given our track record, but there seems to be no winning).

I don't like the cap hit, or term, but it would have gone to someone else offseason before last....and we likely still would have walked Markstrom, Tanev and whoever the equivalent of Toffoli would have been. Would another Eriksson have been better? A Skinner? A Matheson? And I know it sounds overly dramatic (I think I'd have preferred the cap space just not be used too)...but this is Benning here, logic and best case scenarios don't enter the discussion. He will commit the worst act.

Before he, and Hughes, and Schmidt, were all on this team, all of us were complaining we had no defensemen that could actually play with the puck, outside of Edler. Everyone was, at best, a two-way D, like Stecher, Tanev, Sbisa, Del Zotto, Biega, Hutton, Fantenberg, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Gudbranson, Schenn, Pouliot, Weber, Bartkowski, Garrison, Alberts, Rome, Ohlund, Allen, Malik(basically I think everyone without Jovanovski and Ehrhoff since 2000)....I mean especially with Tanev gone, I feel like the needle went too far the other way, (too many puck movers/offensive minded D, not enough shut down guys) but does no one remember why we hated Sbisa and Gudbranson? Dumb as a bag of hammers, with or without the puck. Relative to our cap situation and player situation, now versus then, I'd still prefer Myers to the Gudbransons, Bartkowskis, Sbisas and Del Zottos of the world.

Myers takes a lot of heat on here, heat that I think would be dumped on the next guy down the list for gaffes and errors due to no longer being protected: Hughes. When he gets his big contract, I feel like this board is going to want to tar him, feather him, and run him out of town on the rails. I don't want that, but we always seem to have a scapegoat.

I also feel that all the excuses that I've used for other defensemen, and Myers looking as bad as he has, all have one thing in common: Coaching. Good coaching would be making a system around the existing pieces, not trying to hammer them into an existing, predetermined mold. Ditto Virtanen, ditto Gaudette, ditto...well anyone dropping off from last year or not finding success with a role they're not cut out for.

Anyway, rant over. I'd fire Green and Benning, bring in a player like Mayfield for Hughes, and try to find a shutdown LHD like him (on a similar contract) for Myers, and pair up Schmidt and Edler, and play the hot hand, and periodically get Juolevi, Chatfield and Rathbone (seriously, how has he not played a game yet?) in for who ever is looking slow, sore or cold.

Reactions: sting101

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Myers sucks. Was a 4/5 when he was acquired and in a perfect world had a baby sitter. Problem is he’s the highest paid player on the team and is signed for 3 seasons after this one.

I stopped reading the above post after the first paragraph.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Myers was a terrible signing before he even signed.

Everyone and their dog (mines Charlie) knew the canucks were going to sign him, sign him to a stupid deal and expect him to be something he is not, a Top 4 dman.

he has always sucked and will likely continue to always suck.

His contract is the new Loui.

Reactions: bossram

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I still find all this Myers talk at a complete double standard.

Edler is being over used.
Schmidt is still figuring things out, as a recent transplant.
Hughes can't be expected to play his game and be good at defense.
Benn was never supposed to play so much.
Juolevi is still getting used to the NHL.
Chatfield is way over his head through no fault of his own.

But Myers....right off the bat these boards hated him. No Schmidt like period of adjustment, no Hughes like excusing of surrendering scoring chances due to play style (his Calder winning seasons was 5 points off Hughes on a much worse team, for reference), only an admission that he is being overused, like Edler and Benn (likely to shelter Hughes, I should add).Because of his size, everyone expected a bruiser, or at least a shut down guy. The guys always been an offensive minded D, and that's who was signed and brought in. We didn't know what Hughes was (realistically) projected to be yet, we've had years of subpar offense from our D (see the list below). We complain about not having someone to handle big forwards in front of our net (anyone remember Bieksa vs. Byfuglien against Chicago?), and then don't like the size mismatch penalties (even I, trying to defend him, admit some of them have been stupid on Myers' part). We want our superstar sophomore defenseman, aging elder statesman on D, rookies and new acquisition to all have sheltered minutes, but think we're overplaying the only guys that falls outside of those descriptions. We don't want Benning trading for a player (as we often seemed to over pay before very recently), but we get pissed when he overpays in free agency (I mean this one is fair given our track record, but there seems to be no winning).

I don't like the cap hit, or term, but it would have gone to someone else offseason before last....and we likely still would have walked Markstrom, Tanev and whoever the equivalent of Toffoli would have been. Would another Eriksson have been better? A Skinner? A Matheson? And I know it sounds overly dramatic (I think I'd have preferred the cap space just not be used too)...but this is Benning here, logic and best case scenarios don't enter the discussion. He will commit the worst act.

Before he, and Hughes, and Schmidt, were all on this team, all of us were complaining we had no defensemen that could actually play with the puck, outside of Edler. Everyone was, at best, a two-way D, like Stecher, Tanev, Sbisa, Del Zotto, Biega, Hutton, Fantenberg, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Gudbranson, Schenn, Pouliot, Weber, Bartkowski, Garrison, Alberts, Rome, Ohlund, Allen, Malik(basically I think everyone without Jovanovski and Ehrhoff since 2000)....I mean especially with Tanev gone, I feel like the needle went too far the other way, (too many puck movers/offensive minded D, not enough shut down guys) but does no one remember why we hated Sbisa and Gudbranson? Dumb as a bag of hammers, with or without the puck. Relative to our cap situation and player situation, now versus then, I'd still prefer Myers to the Gudbransons, Bartkowskis, Sbisas and Del Zottos of the world.

Myers takes a lot of heat on here, heat that I think would be dumped on the next guy down the list for gaffes and errors due to no longer being protected: Hughes. When he gets his big contract, I feel like this board is going to want to tar him, feather him, and run him out of town on the rails. I don't want that, but we always seem to have a scapegoat.

I also feel that all the excuses that I've used for other defensemen, and Myers looking as bad as he has, all have one thing in common: Coaching. Good coaching would be making a system around the existing pieces, not trying to hammer them into an existing, predetermined mold. Ditto Virtanen, ditto Gaudette, ditto...well anyone dropping off from last year or not finding success with a role they're not cut out for.

Anyway, rant over. I'd fire Green and Benning, bring in a player like Mayfield for Hughes, and try to find a shutdown LHD like him (on a similar contract) for Myers, and pair up Schmidt and Edler, and play the hot hand, and periodically get Juolevi, Chatfield and Rathbone (seriously, how has he not played a game yet?) in for who ever is looking slow, sore or cold.

Bravo...well said

The Hughes bit is gonna be so true.

This market largely deserves a loser.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

Everyone and their dog (mines Charlie) knew the canucks were going to sign him, sign him to a stupid deal and expect him to be something he is not, a Top 4 dman.

Lol my favorite part was the bullshit regarding term and money from a 'random' account to try and sell 5x6 as good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This and Jake has little to no value, especially with his new contract.

Yep. Jake on his current contract has no value. As I was saying in the offseason, that would've been the time to trade him. Coming off his best season yet (and with the possibility of grinding him down in arbitration) might've been more appealing to teams.

The proposals with the Bruins are all probably no-gos. Zboril is too valuable to them given their shallow blueline depth. They love Studnicka. And Ritchie has had a hot start.

I think a more interesting swap might be Kase? He's never really fit in with the Bruins since being acquired - between injuries and lack of production they might just decide to cut their losses. He's a guy I've always been interested in. Similar cap hit, so no salary maneuvering needed.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Bravo...well said

The Hughes bit is gonna be so true.

This market largely deserves a loser.

Hughes doesn't have non sensical pinches and actually produces offense when he plays with the puck and knows how to cycle with the forwards in offensive zone. Watch the game yesterday, Myers killed 2 great cycles the lotto line had going by being in the way when they were moving the puck. Also Hughes at least turns over the puck when their are 2 players pressuring him, not by throwing the puck at skates and losing the puck in his skates

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

100%.

I don't understand this impassioned defense of Myers from Cog. All the smart people here said he was basically an error-prone 4/5 who's paid at roughly double what he should be. He's essentially performed as expected.

We're supposed to be thankful for this??

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I doubt it's nearly as bad as Loui's.

He signed it 2yrs younger and has 1 less season on it. Eriksson will be 37 at the conclusion Myers 34

He has not always sucked and plays some good hockey for the most part. Look at our roster is there anyone at the top of it you can say doesn't have stretches of poor play? He's just as you said expected to do too much and was overpaid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad