Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think you can make a trade right now for anything other than a defenseman, or for the purpose of dumping dead weight like Virtanen for a pick/prospect. Can't imagine forward is the priority.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hypothetically targeting Colorado or other playoff bound teams desperate to make a push would be very shrewd. But Benning doesn't have enough time.
Yet he has time to dye his hair pitch black.

Someone needs to intercept his Amazon Prime packages

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I am completely against trading a 1st round pick for a 27 year old defenseman who can't stay healthy, and would be 1 year away from being a UFA. That trade could end up being a complete disaster.

You're not wrong with what the Canucks need (though subtract the "-ish"). I would add we need another top 6 winger, and one more top 4-defensemen in addition to the one you have identified.

I absolutely would look to move JT Miller because he'll be 28 in a month and by the time the Canucks should be on their upswing he'll be 30+. His next contract will be a bad one, so trade him while he's at his peak value.

Having said that, if we can get someone like Matt Dumba (27 in July) fairly cheap then it's a move I make. Unless Minnesota is planning on keeping 4 defensemen they have no room to keep Dumba. The price shouldn't be too high. I'm still looking at Vince Dunn but would not pay the 1st round pick asking price.

This season is a write-off. As is next season. At the end of the day what the Canucks need to be focused on is banking as many draft picks and prospects as they can, while building the best group of 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie as they can. Taking advantage of teams with surplus in those areas and acquiring those players at discounted prices ahead of Seattle.

I'm comfortable with Demko as our 1G. Our D protected list should only include Nate Schmidt right now (since Hughes is exempt). That leaves 2 open slots to bring in 2 solid defensemen. And our forward list should include Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, and JT Miller (unless he is dealt). That leaves 3/4 open spots.

Trading Miller would be too risky and not worth it. PPG stud winger in his prime dont grow on trees. Trade him and Pettersson/Horvat want out. Those guys want quality linemates.

2021 and 2022 first round picks should absolutely be in play for a 22-28 legit top 4 dman that fits the young core.

The top 6 is set for the future

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

I also like Demko as our future #1

All the focus should be on improving the defence. Lindholm/Ekholm/Hamilton should be targets.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Trading Miller would be too risky and not worth it. PPG stud winger in his prime dont grow on trees. Trade him and Pettersson/Horvat want out. Those guys want quality linemates.

2021 and 2022 first round picks should absolutely be in play for a 22-28 legit top 4 dman that fits the young core.

The top 6 is set for the future

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

I also like Demko as our future #1

All the focus should be on improving the defence. Lindholm/Ekholm/Hamilton should be targets.

I disagree completely. Trading our 2021 and 2022 1st round picks would be a disaster. This team is capped out thanks to all the bad contracts Benning signed, and we lack quality prospects in the system that will come up and be cheap producing impact players. Trading away these draft picks while we are stuck with bad contracts is just going to further put us in a hole and probably cost us the EP and Hughes prime years.

The ONLY direction this team should be going in is to do an aggressive rebuild over the next 2 seasons while we wait out the bad contracts Benning saddled us with. Unless you can find takers for these bad contracts, which you won't, anything else is just putting a bandaid on a severed artery.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If I was the new GM taking over I’d be shopping anyone over 25 years old hard, including Schmidt, Miller and even possibly Horvat. There’s far too much garbage dragging this team down over the next two seasons and not enough tangible assets to both rid the team of the garbage and acquire solid players to improve the team to the point where it can legitimately contend.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Canucks have a legit shot at signing Hamilton then I’d be ok with the Canucks attaching a lot to get Myers the hell out of here. Otherwise it’d be easier to just wait it out and move him when he has less years.
Pretty sure Lin Manuel Miranda is available.

Probably an upgrade in all honesty.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
all the talk about trading this guy and that guy,,who the (h,ll) excuse my language...is making these trades?Benning....
His arse should be fired asap,,as should Green....Let's just wait for a gm with some brains to come in and try to fix this disaster...losing to the Leafs of all teams,,makes me crazy..sorry

Reactions: Luckylarry

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Elliote saying teams don't like the extra year on Virtanen. Lol. Throw that on the pile of contracts that immediately backfired.

nobody wants canucks garbage overpriced guys. let the NEW GM deal with this mess. benning weisbroid should get their pink slips.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Has anyone looked at our cap situation seriously beyond this season? It sure looks like it's going to get worse for us before it gets better...

Contracts off the books: Edler, Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Hamonic, Baertschi, Spooner buy out. That all totals 21.783 mil.

It will take at least 11.5 million of that to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson even to bridge deals. Given that, we have 10.25 mil left to sign a top 6 forward, a top pairing defenseman, a third line center, and at least a number 5/6 defenseman. I really don't see that happening. Best case scenario? Maybe we get a few of those pieces and we plug the holes with whatever we have in the pipe line. The result? Probably a worse roster than this year.

It's the year after that we really can start to maneuver favorably. In that year we have Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, and Luongo's contract all off the books for a combined total of 19.33mil. We'll need to re-sign Boeser, but in a flat cap I would expect that would eat up more than a couple of million more than his current cap hit. We don't really have any big names to re-sign that offseason either, so really, we have the opportunity to re-build our depth.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Have to think the first Gaudette/Virtanen domino falls this week. Virtanen would probably be waiver bait if it wasn't for the hysterics it was cause of having a local, top-10 pick put on waivers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don't want bimbo jimbo making any trades. Just go away. Go back to Boston and ruin them.
Guys on the radio saying David Poille is on the outs in Nashville. Would he be a good guy to have here in the President role?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It would be optimistic to believe with every embarrassing loss incurred we were one step closer to seeing a shift in management but I’m conditioned to believe the Canucks will continue to chase their loses rather than walk away from the table

this entire season will feel like a success if we fire benning

part of me thinks the problems in the dressing room is players realizing this management team doesn’t have the ability to make them legit when their is almost more money off the ice then on the ice

alas I think we still have the core we need and despite the teams lack of success those players will be paid accordingly

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Going to take a lot to convince anyone of actual intelligence to take over this team as either a President or GM.

bad situation right now.

Side not, would love to try and get Timmins out of Colorado. Have a ton of d depth and with the expansion draft, can only protect so many players.

Good young RHD. Be interesting to see what it would take.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
It would be optimistic to believe with every embarrassing loss incurred we were one step closer to seeing a shift in management but I’m conditioned to believe the Canucks will continue to chase their loses rather than walk away from the table

this entire season will feel like a success if we fire benning

part of me thinks the problems in the dressing room is players realizing this management team doesn’t have the ability to make them legit when their is almost more money off the ice then on the ice

alas I think we still have the core we need and despite the teams lack of success those players will be paid accordingly
It’s official, Nucks players have joined tank nation.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have to think the first Gaudette/Virtanen domino falls this week. Virtanen would probably be waiver bait if it wasn't for the hysterics it was cause of having a local, top-10 pick put on waivers.
Not a fan of making a trade, just to 'shake things up' because the team is on a losing streak...You're not exactly coming from a position of strength here.

Trading Jake isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference right now.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not a fan of making a trade, just to 'shake things up' because the team is on a losing streak...You're not exactly coming from a position of strength here.

Trading Jake isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference right now.

Here's why trading him now makes sense:

1) Moving Virtanen would be to move on from the 2nd year of that contract. Right now you have a regular healthy scratch and that money can be used elsewhere.

2) You would also be doing it to hopefully gain an asset - whether a prospect, draft pick, or other player that is useful right now.

3) There is some sort of chemistry issue going on in the room. Moving a guy out and a different guy changes that a bit, whether the new guy in is via trade or a guy getting called up.

And yes.. it's a sell low. He should have been two off-seasons ago, and then again this last off-season. But there's nothing you can do about that now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Here's why trading him now makes sense:

1) Moving Virtanen would be to move on from the 2nd year of that contract. Right now you have a regular healthy scratch and that money can be used elsewhere.

2) You would also be doing it to hopefully gain an asset - whether a prospect, draft pick, or other player that is useful right now.

3) There is some sort of chemistry issue going on in the room. Moving a guy out and a different guy changes that a bit, whether the new guy in is via trade or a guy getting called up.

And yes.. it's a sell low. He should have been two off-seasons ago, and then again this last off-season. But there's nothing you can do about that now.
Should Benning be the guy to make any moves though? Maybe the only change should be getting a new President and GM, like what the Pen’s are now doing? Get new leadership in now, and let them evaluate the situation, and make changes as they see best.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Should Benning be the guy to make any moves though? Maybe the only change should be getting a new President and GM, like what the Pen’s are now doing? Get new leadership in now, and let them evaluate the situation, and make changes as they see best.

Yes, obviously getting rid of Benning and then having a new GM would be ideal. But if that's not an option, whoever is making the calls needs to be proactive for next year. Virtanen's 2nd year will be an anchor for this team and they should get ahead of it as best they can.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad