Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If Canucks manage to move cap space and bring in Hoffman, then they are a much better team than they were in the playoffs last season. The kicker is though Canucks will undoubtedly have to give up a prospect or draft pick to move Sutter or Eriksson.

Schmidt >>>> Tanev
Hoffman >> Toffoli
Demko/Hotlby = Markstrom

I don't care to include Stecher since he is just a 6th D. Any of Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone would be have equal impact and perhaps potential to be greater.
Keep drinking the koolaid. Ridiculously biased evaluation of players right here.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hoffman only makes sense if you can move Pearson for a cheaper defenseman first and sign him as the replacement using the savings. Granlund would be the better fit though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Keep drinking the koolaid. Ridiculously biased evaluation of players right here.
Schmidt is a slight upgrade on Tanev, but we lost a lot in Marky. I’d much rather have Tofoli than Hoffman. Tofoli is a complete player. Hoffman is terrible unless he’s on the PP.
It’s clear we are a far weaker team now, than at the end of the playoffs.
Out: Marky, Tanev, Tofu, Stecher
In: Schmidt, Holtby.
Terrible offseason by Benning.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If Canucks manage to move cap space and bring in Hoffman, then they are a much better team than they were in the playoffs last season. The kicker is though Canucks will undoubtedly have to give up a prospect or draft pick to move Sutter or Eriksson.

Schmidt >>>> Tanev
Hoffman >> Toffoli
Demko/Hotlby = Markstrom

I don't care to include Stecher since he is just a 6th D. Any of Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone would be have equal impact and perhaps potential to be greater.

MasculineOddDutchsmoushond-size_restricted.gif

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Its always cool to read these, but there're are always red flags that come with these comments as well imo...I've always thought the main issue with Jakes conditioning was with his cardio (watching him gasping for air halfway through a shift)..As great as the the Sedins were with their innate skill, they were also very detail oriented in their off season conditioning..Too bad Jake couldn't hire them for the off season.

Reactions: CanuckCity

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's great he's hitting the gym, you like to see that. Hopefully he's running his ass off too, and eating right.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It’s ridiculous how Hoffman gets called “terrible” and “useless” in 5v5 which is completely false. Yes he’s amazing on the PP and much better there than at even strength, but he’s still a top 6 player regardless.

Reactions: sting101

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Not really. Toffoli is pretty equal if not slightlyyy better than Hoffman. Schmidt is better than Tanev forsure. Juolevi will honestly be just as good as Stecher if not better. Markstrom to Holtby is a downgrade but goalies are hard to predict so who knows, Holtby could have a better year.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not really. Toffoli is pretty equal if not slightlyyy better than Hoffman. Schmidt is better than Tanev forsure. Juolevi will honestly be just as good as Stecher if not better. Markstrom to Holtby is a downgrade but goalies are hard to predict so who knows, Holtby could have a better year.
lmao

Reactions: rypper

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Have we signed Hoffman? As it stands right now we are clearly worse than the end of last season. We lost far more than we brought in, and (imo) we will definitely take a step back this coming year. I think we finish bottom 10 in the league, and Benning, Wisebrod are fired. I think our owner has Benning/Brod on notice, especially if Green isn’t extended.

Reactions: supercanuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Its always cool to read these, but there're are always red flags that come with these comments as well imo...I've always thought the main issue with Jakes conditioning was with his cardio (watching him gasping for air halfway through a shift)..As great as the the Sedins were with their innate skill, they were also very detail oriented in their off season conditioning..Too bad Jake couldn't hire them for the off season.

Yes i would be happier to hear he's been doing intervals up Knox hill on the roller blades to improve his cardio but it is early into the off season and am happy to hear he's looking fit and strong in any shape or form at this moment.

It's entirely plausible that he's in a phase of strength development followed by shredding down and getting fit and faster as the season draws closer.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s ridiculous how Hoffman gets called “terrible” and “useless” in 5v5 which is completely false. Yes he’s amazing on the PP and much better there than at even strength, but he’s still a top 6 player regardless.
In his last three seasons Hoffmann is minus 50. Tofoli is a much better 200 foot player. Tofu is just a better hockey playe4 than Hoffmann. Losing Tofu was a very big loss to our top six.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes i would be happier to hear he's been doing intervals up Knox hill on the roller blades to improve his cardio but it is early into the off season and am happy to hear he's looking fit and strong in any shape or form at this moment.

It's entirely plausible that he's in a phase of strength development followed by shredding down and getting fit and faster as the season draws closer.
True, but cardio needs to be developed (and maintained) over years of hard work. I think the Twins actually found cardio training fun.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have we signed Hoffman? As it stands right now we are clearly worse than the end of last season. We lost far more than we brought in, and (imo) we will definitely take a step back this coming year. I think we finish bottom 10 in the league, and Benning, Wisebrod are fired. I think our owner has Benning/Brod on notice, especially if Green isn’t extended.
Markstrom was a top5 goalie vs Holtby who would have to be still considered average once he works with Ian Clark and wants to impress a new team. I could see the discrepancy costing us 3-5 games though.

Toffoli/Leivo i grouped together because we never had both and in fact had neither for many important games. We lost some depth here that we could rely on and unless Virtanen MacEwen Gaudette blows away the expectations our depth scoring likely costs us 2-3 games. It's probably pretty negligible if we stay fairly healthy.

Tanev Stecher and Fantenberg vs Schmidt Juolevi plus whatever they have in Rathbone Rafferty and likely a vet could end up being a slight upgrade as long as the young player or vet plays respectably and they stay healthy again.

Optimistically we are slightly worse on paper but the wild card is how our core progresses in being able to take over games and how well the kids hold up. Should be fighting from 10-20. Health will be imperative

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Yeah I put 0 stock into tweets or videos about guys off-season training.

For one the entire league is in the gym training in various ways so it's expected.
And for two it means nothing. I remember people getting hyped because Kassian's trainer would post workout vids of him talking about how hard he was going and sure enough he was basically the same player.

I believe people did the same with Jordan Subban :laugh:

Anyways good for Jake, big off-season for him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
sure, they're not ridiculous if something "could happen". The dude said it was equal to replace a Vezina contender with 0.897 sv%. That's not equal, that's kool-aid and it seems you're also on it.

You have no clue if Juolevi will be just as good, we know 3 months ago he wasn't close. If he was, why wasn't he playing?

The dude said that Hoffman was miles better than Toffoli, you disagree, but still said, "not really".

Come on dude, we know the kool aid is strong, but you don't have to misrepresent the argument.

Hoffman marginally outproduces Toffoli, but gets absolutely caved in in the goals against department. I guess if we only look at one end, everyone can be a star.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Toffoli is 100% the superior 5v5 player, Hoffman is 100% the superior powerplay player.

The Canucks PP is fine, their 5v5 play is not. Hoffman doesn’t bring as much value to a team that can’t even use him in his sweet spot on the PP.

It’s not a knock on Hoffman, but he’s a square peg in a round hole here.

It’s that simple.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The only improvement of Holtby, Schmidt, Juolevi, and Hoffman over Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, and Toffoli is Schmidt. Hoffman wouldn't get the same amount of goals on the powerplay here. No, Juolevi is not a lateral move with Stecher right now. Stecher put up 17 ES points in 69 games, and was really good at not getting scored on at ES and the PK for years now. Juolevi would be better on the Powerplay, but would be fighting for time on the 2nd unit with Edler. Juolevi has to improve defensively to be as good as Stecher.

Reactions: vanuck

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Toffoli isn't a loss. He would've been a nice addition/upgrade but in regards to last season we were under .500 with him in the lineup and he contributed nothing in both playoff wins. Schmidt is a MAMMOTH upgrade on Tanev and I think people are really underselling his addition we basically added a top 30-40 Dmen in the entire League. The only real Loss is Markstrom who was a legit top 5-10 Goalie in this league. Canucks have a nice goalie history though so I'm confident in Demko and a Holtby Bounceback.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Toffoli isn't a loss. He would've been a nice addition/upgrade but in regards to last season we were under .500 with him in the lineup and he contributed nothing in both playoff wins. Schmidt is a MAMMOTH upgrade on Tanev and I think people are really underselling his addition we basically added a top 30-40 Dmen in the entire League. The only real Loss is Markstrom who was a legit top 5-10 Goalie in this league. Canucks have a nice goalie history though so I'm confident in Demko and a Holtby Bounceback.
Individually Schmidt is an upgrade over Tanev, but it looks like they're going to have 3 completely new pairs.

Edler and Stecher at 5 on 5 produced exceptional results for the quality of minutes they were against....is Edler's pair still going to get those tough matchups? Who do we expect to be his partner? If it's Schmidt it's an upgrade, but I don't think it'll be as easy as most expect to put up the same results.

I've been looking at Schmidt stats since we acquired him and he's not really a guy who contributes to massively outscoring the opposition in his minutes, and yeah he produces decent shot attempt stats, but he plays on a team that is dominant at that (only one defensman on the Knights started less than 50% of his the o-zone). I think Edler is better than McNabb, but only being a +4 at 5 on 5 for Schmidt on that team makes me slightly cautious and I think there is definitely grounds to undersell him.

Then you get to Hughes' pair, is he going with Myers? Are they going to get used like Hughes/Tanev of 19/20 or Hughes/Myers of 19/20....the usage is a stark difference just on Ozone stars alone. Hughes and Myers start 80+% of their shifts in the offensive zone. I don't mind continuing with that, but that means you can't really trust that pair to play 2nd pair minutes. So who is taking these defensive minutes? The same questions arise if you put Schmidt with Hughes, because now I don't believe you can trust an Edler/Myers pair to stand up to the defensive load.

Juolevi and Benn as your 3rd pair?

It looks like there is going to be some extremely interesting deployment, because I think they have two "top 4" defensman in Hughes and Myers who they can't really trust to check a 2nd line and their 3rd pair doesn't have those players either.

I would say the drop-off from Marky to Demko/Holtby projects to be greater than Tanev/Stecher to Schmidt/Juolevi.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If the NHL starts on Jan 1st, I wonder how many players will opt out and how that changes rosters? There's little chance the pandemic will be under control by then (also training camp/preseason would be earlier). In our case, big question would be if Sven will choose to sit out again. That's 3 million off the books right there.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Individually Schmidt is an upgrade over Tanev, but it looks like they're going to have 3 completely new pairs.

Edler and Stecher at 5 on 5 produced exceptional results for the quality of minutes they were against....is Edler's pair still going to get those tough matchups? Who do we expect to be his partner? If it's Schmidt it's an upgrade, but I don't think it'll be as easy as most expect to put up the same results.

I've been looking at Schmidt stats since we acquired him and he's not really a guy who contributes to massively outscoring the opposition in his minutes, and yeah he produces decent shot attempt stats, but he plays on a team that is dominant at that (only one defensman on the Knights started less than 50% of his the o-zone). I think Edler is better than McNabb, but only being a +4 at 5 on 5 for Schmidt on that team makes me slightly cautious and I think there is definitely grounds to undersell him.

Then you get to Hughes' pair, is he going with Myers? Are they going to get used like Hughes/Tanev of 19/20 or Hughes/Myers of 19/20....the usage is a stark difference just on Ozone stars alone. Hughes and Myers start 80+% of their shifts in the offensive zone. I don't mind continuing with that, but that means you can't really trust that pair to play 2nd pair minutes. So who is taking these defensive minutes? The same questions arise if you put Schmidt with Hughes, because now I don't believe you can trust an Edler/Myers pair to stand up to the defensive load.

Juolevi and Benn as your 3rd pair?

It looks like there is going to be some extremely interesting deployment, because I think they have two "top 4" defensman in Hughes and Myers who they can't really trust to check a 2nd line and their 3rd pair doesn't have those players either.

I would say the drop-off from Marky to Demko/Holtby projects to be greater than Tanev/Stecher to Schmidt/Juolevi.

I would take Hughes-Myers pairing numbers with a grain of salt. Green only really used that pairing when chasing leads and trying to generate offence so I'm not surprised they got a boatload of O-zone starts. Hughes was trusted to play against other teams top lines pairing especially in the playoffs when his D-zone starts skyrocketed. As for Schmidt's number he was thrown to the wolves this year because of how Sheltered Theodore was. Schmidt played the 6th toughest minutes among all Dmen taking an extremely difficult workload. Doubt he'll see that kind of absurd deployment here that you'll see more of his 17/18/19 self than 19-20 along with Edler being a nice upgrade over McNabb.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would take Hughes-Myers pairing numbers with a grain of salt. Green only really used that pairing when chasing leads and trying to generate offence so I'm not surprised they got a boatload of O-zone starts. Hughes was trusted to play against other teams top lines pairing especially in the playoffs when his D-zone starts skyrocketed. As for Schmidt's number he was thrown to the wolves this year because of how Sheltered Theodore was. Schmidt played the 6th toughest minutes among all Dmen taking an extremely difficult workload. Doubt he'll see that kind of absurd deployment here that you'll see more of his 17/18/19 self than 19-20 along with Edler being a nice upgrade over McNabb.
I guess you missed my point.

Hughes was trusted in those minutes because of his partner. Green didn't trust Myers to play minutes like that last year and Myers' coaches have been giving him sheltered minutes for a couple years now.

Quinn Hughes' zone starts didn't really change in the playoffs, at 5 on 5 he was at 65% and even though he looked good and had a defensively capable partner, he still was on for 13 for and 12 against.

Myers was on for 1 for and 5 against. He's not a defensive stalwart, and sure if they're going to get the massive offensive chances that will be good, but I think they're going to get taken advantage of defensively.

I've seen people show that tweet where Schmidt was in the 99th percentile for usage, but I haven't been able to find the methodology. Just looking at his usage, zone starts, partner, forward linemates, I think that 6th toughest usage is a bit of a head scratcher. would you mind sharing the link to it, and if it's athletic, explain in.

Nobody had that extreme of usage on Vegas' blueline. Even in the playoffs, no defensman on the Knights started in their o-zone less than 53% of the time. That's not extreme usage to me. Even against us in the playoffs, Schmidt was out against Bo more than Pettersson. Theodore's pair was out against Pettersson more than Schmidt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce