Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Not trying to sign Stecher after he wasn't qualified was a big mistake. I compiled the ES points per game, GA/60, and offensive zone starts of every team's number 5. Stecher had the 7th best ES points per game, 9th best GA/60 and 3rd least % of offensive zone starts. There were only 3 players that had better ES points, and GA/60 (Graves, Philippe Myers, and Matt Roy), and they all had over 50% ozone starts compare to Stecher's 39.3%.
So you're saying he's a high end #5 who can step in and easily play top 4 minutes when injuries hit and we should've signed him for cheap? Gotcha.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Wouldn't surprise if Banning does Free up cap room he trades cheap for a player like Killorn. I don't think it's a good idea (3 years left and is 31) but he's very much a Benning player.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That response makes me think you could win $10,000 from a lottery ticket, and be furious you didn't get the $1,000,000 prize.

You're free to your interpretation, but my intent was that a few good things don't erase a bunch of bad things. They need to be weighed evenly and holistically. The problem with your analogy is that there is no downside to winning $10k in the lottery, which doesn't translate to what we're talking about.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Nov 1, 2011
You're free to your interpretation, but my intent was that a few good things don't erase a bunch of bad things. They need to be weighed evenly and holistically. The problem with your analogy is that there is no downside to winning $10k in the lottery, which doesn't translate to what we're talking about.

It's interpretation in both sides.

The argument could be that Benning built a team that came within a couple of goals of beating the most recent Western Champions with a young core but have a few overpaid bottom 6 guys.

Or the argument could be that the team is doomed because they have $20m of cap tied up in replacement level or worse assets despite having several key building blocks - this now allowing us to properly build around them.

It's about perspective, not making analogies that exemplify both things and arguing one is right over the other.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

The argument could be that Benning built a team that came within a couple of goals of beating the most recent Western Champions with a young core but have a few overpaid bottom 6 guys.

Or the argument could be that the team is doomed because they have $20m of cap tied up in replacement level or worse assets despite having several key building blocks - this now allowing us to properly build around them.

It's about perspective, not making analogies that exemplify both things and arguing one is right over the other.

Sure, and that's fair.

I think the stronger argument in terms of maintaining the long-term competitiveness of the team is the latter. This current core had never made the playoffs and didn't seem like a contender during the regular season. If you had polled this board on whether Vancouver or Vegas would win, it would be Vegas in a landslide. That's not to mention facing a team like Tampa. Further, it was obvious that our bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defence weren't great and would separate them from the truly elite teams. Even further to this, it was obvious the team would struggle to re-sign Toffoli and, given the current stage of the rebuild, it was a bit too early to cough up futures for a rental player.

It's a trade that didn't look great at the time, and definitely doesn't look good now (and didn't require hindsight to make that evaluation). If making the 2nd round in the playoffs with nothing else to show for somehow justifies giving up a 2nd and Madden, then I'll just agree to disagree and end it there.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

They lost to the team that lost to the western champions(who lost to the champs) . If we’re praising some lowered bar we should at least get it right.

And if we’re going to praise it let’s at least admit the team was 7-11 in their last 18 before the lockdown.

Good on them for benefiting from the pandemic but let’s not act like this team wasn’t a middle of the road club that had a playoff run largely because of the pandemic.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Nov 1, 2011
They lost to the team that lost to the western champions(who lost to the champs) . If we’re praising some lowered bar we should at least get it right.

And if we’re going to praise it let’s at least admit the team was 7-11 in their last 18 before the lockdown.

Good on them for benefiting from the pandemic but let’s not act like this team wasn’t a middle of the road club that had a playoff run largely because of the pandemic.

Okay, then someone could say we have a young core that knocked out the defending Western Conference Champs (and Stanley Cup champs) and took the year prior's Western Conference champs to the brink with a core that is significantly younger than either.

I've stated multiple times that I don't think the Canucks make the playoffs without Covid and I'm personally not that high on the team as it is currently built - I stated they needed a guy like Petro. That being said, I can appreciate that there's and alternate point of view.

The point was, you can make the argument to feel good about the team, personally, I think they aren't a playoff team, unless Demko becomes a 930 save% guy but I'm not going to try and brow beat someone for thinking otherwise.

The extension to my prior point is that there are a bunch of guys that will try to not let anyone feel good or bad about the team because they feel there is only one perspective - you seem to be a prime example.

Reactions: Nazzlind

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Granlund and Hutton are fine but Vatanen and Athanasiou are limited players

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Virtanen for Frederic+2nd
Pearson for 2nd

Vatanen 3mx1
Granlund 3mx1
Athanasiou 1.5mx2
Hutton 1.5mx2
Gauthier 700kx1 2way
Gaunce 700kx1 2way

Ferland LTIR
Baertschi waived
Benn waived
Hawryluk sent down
Gaunce sent down

This team would be #1 in the Canadian division and nothing I did here is unrealistic.

canucks few moves - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

No interest in Athanasiou unless its a for 1 year and around the league minimum. He is absolutely terrible defensively, and it is not because he played for the wing's. His ratio of his GA/60 divided by Detroit's GA/60 was 1.53.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Granlund and Hutton are fine but Vatanen and Athanasiou are limited players
Vatanen is a solid puck-moving 2nd pair defender and I assume he'd be unanimously seen as far better than Hutton. If the Canucks added him the defence would be significantly improved from last season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bring that legend home.

(I'm not making a joke I always liked Gaunce.)

I would easily take him at 700k

main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c.jpeg

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
We would be silly not to try and get some defenders under 1 mil, assuming Aqualini isnt adverse to some cash potentially ending up in the minors. I would bring in a LHD and a RHD ideally.
I don't think they will bring Hutton back though because of bad blood

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Waiting on that Barzal contracts so we can get an idea of the RFA landscape for 1C's post-Covid.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Buchnevich is a player I’d have interest and the rangers likely won’t have money for his raise next offseason. Virtanen+ for buchnevich maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad