Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He won’t get more than 3.5 mill imo. He’s regressed a bit.

Maybe on a short deal as a "prove-it" contract to bet on himself and then cash-in next offseason. He clearly wasn't a great fit in Nashville, but he still looks to be a 55-70 point player, which is much better than Toffoli's career to date.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Even this is generous. Baertschi and the Spooner buyout would cover Tanev’s cap hit, nevermind players like Eriksson and Benn who shouldn’t be consistent roster players based on last year (and Sutter/Beagle/Roussel are replaceable with $1-2 million depth players). They make up like $23 mill in dead cap space.

Oh, I agree. Although, I'm willing to call Baertschi somehow of a decent risk. It didn't work out but when we acquired him from Calgary, he looked really good. Still too high of a cap hit but not a big deal. The issue, of course, is Benning kept making that excuse. That extra million here or there eventually catches up to you, especially when you're handing it out to questionable players.

Tanev should be here instead of Myers.

Agreed. Why they were so hyped on Myers baffles me. Despite all the knocks he gets, Myers isn't a bad player. He just isn't worth 6M.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Speaking of bad contracts anyone think the Anderson trade/contract reminds you of the Sutter contract? GM trades supposed similar caliber player with the one they're trading being the better one but somehow add onto the superior. New player has a year on his contract and then gets an unprecedented amount of dollars and term for his production?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Speaking of bad contracts anyone think the Anderson trade/contract reminds you of the Sutter contract? GM trades supposed similar caliber player with the one they're trading being the better one but somehow add onto the superior. New player has a year on his contract and then gets an unprecedented amount of dollars and term for his production?

That’s a good comparison. Clearly paying for what they see as his potential upside, rather than based on the contributions he has made thus far. That sure bit the Canucks in the ass, time will tell what happens with the Habs.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Not to mention Anderson’s injury concerns. He plays a style that can really lead to a lot of injuries. Sutter didn't really have that same injury history nor play that style but it really derailed his effectiveness even more. I see a lot of red flags with that signing for Montreal.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Anderson was an rfa

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Confirms my suspicions. Benning isn’t done yet but the whole league is kinda frozen in terms of moves. I think we’ll see a few more adds whether they be minor or major.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
LTIRs and such will cause another wave for sure. Hoffman will sign after there's more clarity on cap availability of interested teams. I see him going to Montreal/Boston/us (don't really see us clearing cap though - feel like Benning is reluctant is go for it this year)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Everyone expecting Benning to sign more defensman to push the team closer to the upper limit even with Ferland on LTIR, don't understand the implications that has on next years cap. I'm just banking on the ELC bonuses being the same as they were last year, so if we're maxing LTIR, the ELC bonuses move to the next season, when the future spine of the team: Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko all need new pricy deals they'll more than likely be forced to be paying those pricy deals plus at minimum the $1.7m they got this year. But if Pettersson is as good as we all think he can be, those bonuses can push much much higher.

I think and hope Wall and Gear know this, which is why I think the defense is complete. LTIR'ing Ferland only helps this year but puts an unnecessary handicap on 21/22.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Everyone expecting Benning to sign more defensman to push the team closer to the upper limit even with Ferland on LTIR, don't understand the implications that has on next years cap. I'm just banking on the ELC bonuses being the same as they were last year, so if we're maxing LTIR, the ELC bonuses move to the next season, when the future spine of the team: Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko all need new pricy deals they'll more than likely be forced to be paying those pricy deals plus at minimum the $1.7m they got this year. But if Pettersson is as good as we all think he can be, those bonuses can push much much higher.

I think and hope Wall and Gear know this, which is why I think the defense is complete. LTIR'ing Ferland only helps this year but puts an unnecessary handicap on 21/22.

I would guess they are looking at some depth defensemen for under a million on one year

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Disappointed to see Kahun signed to a 1-year contract of 975k. That's a good deal by the Oilers enabled by having even a modicum of cap space...

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Uhh so apparently Chatfield is looking at playing overseas after not accepting his qualifying offer, though still negotiating with the team

Lmao I guess others were listening when Benning wouldnt stop gushing about NHL-player Jalen Chatfield

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Disappointed to see Kahun signed to a 1-year contract of 975k. That's a good deal by the Oilers enabled by having even a modicum of cap space...

Agreed.

Not sure how much it had to do with the deal but to be fair he had the Draisaitl connection.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I would bet dollars to donuts he was dead set on signing with only the Oilers. He wasn't going to sign for that money with anyone else.

Sign with Oilers, get to play with a good friend in Draisaitl or best player in the world in McDavid, cash in next year.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Canucks manage to move cap space and bring in Hoffman, then they are a much better team than they were in the playoffs last season. The kicker is though Canucks will undoubtedly have to give up a prospect or draft pick to move Sutter or Eriksson.

Schmidt >>>> Tanev
Hoffman >> Toffoli
Demko/Hotlby = Markstrom

I don't care to include Stecher since he is just a 6th D. Any of Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone would be have equal impact and perhaps potential to be greater.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hoffman is a very mediocre ES player (can score a bit but crap defensively) whose main asset is his ability to score on the PP ... in the exact same position that Pettersson plays in. And he's 31 and the age where guys tend to start falling off a cliff.

Thinking he's an upgrade because of hockey card stats is how very bad decisions end up getting made. Just the definition of a bad fit for this team.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If Canucks manage to move cap space and bring in Hoffman, then they are a much better team than they were in the playoffs last season. The kicker is though Canucks will undoubtedly have to give up a prospect or draft pick to move Sutter or Eriksson.

Schmidt >>>> Tanev
Hoffman >> Toffoli
Demko/Hotlby = Markstrom

I don't care to include Stecher since he is just a 6th D. Any of Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone would be have equal impact and perhaps potential to be greater.
I agree with most of this.
But Markstrom is definitely better than either Demko or Holtby at this point. We are taking a pretty big step back in net next year.
That said, I’m glad we didn’t sign Markstrom to that contract and longer term I’d go with Demko.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hoffman's analytics are horrible outside of his counting stats they're extremely pedestrian for a supposed top line winger. For 1 year it's a meh experiment and if you can move Sutter without assets or minimal ones and replace him with Hoffman than it's a 1 year gamble I'd be willing to take. Prefer Granlund would be okay with something like this

Hoffman 1X5M
Koekkoek 1x900k

Sutter+Rafferty for a 5th

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hoffman's analytics are horrible outside of his counting stats they're extremely pedestrian for a supposed top line winger. For 1 year it's a meh experiment and if you can move Sutter without assets or minimal ones and replace him with Hoffman than it's a 1 year gamble I'd be willing to take. Prefer Granlund would be okay with something like this

Hoffman 1X5M
Koekkoek 1x900k

Love to trade Sutter and the sweetener is only a 26 year old AHL D man. I think dumping Sutter will cost us a second round pick. Rafferty (imo) has very little, if any, value.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Hoffman 1X5M
Koekkoek 1x900k

Hoffman does one thing really well, which is that he is an elite PP producer in the slot that Pettersson already plays for us. So he's redundant at the thing he does best.

At ES, where do you play him? You don't want to break up the Pettersson-Miller combination and a Hoffman-Pettersson-Boeser type line is a defensive disaster waiting to happen. He can't play on a Horvat line that sees high-leverage defensive minutes.

Plus he's already 31 and a huge risk of a major dropoff.

Plus he's got a lot of off-ice baggage and probably isn't a fit in a high-scrutiny Canadian market.

It's just a totally non-sensical idea. If we could somehow free the money up for Hoffman, it should damned well be spent on a defender.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hoffman does one thing really well, which is that he is an elite PP producer in the slot that Pettersson already plays for us. So he's redundant at the thing he does best.

At ES, where do you play him? You don't want to break up the Pettersson-Miller combination and a Hoffman-Pettersson-Boeser type line is a defensive disaster waiting to happen. He can't play on a Horvat line that sees high-leverage defensive minutes.

Plus he's already 31 and a huge risk of a major dropoff.

Plus he's got a lot of off-ice baggage and probably isn't a fit in a high-scrutiny Canadian market.

It's just a totally non-sensical idea. If we could somehow free the money up for Hoffman, it should damned well be spent on a defender.

Agreed that he wouldn't be a good fit and would likely minimizes Boeser's offensive opportunities as well. I think a player like Granlund would be a far better fit or go the trade route and see if anything shakes loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad