Fantasy GM Thread | Off-Season has Begun Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I would legitimately think about holding into free agency and into the regular season if that’s the best offer out there.

I'm not thrilled with the deal either but I don't see how the offers would improve down the line. Teams will move on and fill holes/money in other ways which will leave us with less potential trade candidates. Maybe if Washington doesn't land Kadri they get desperate and circle back.

Would do it if the 2023 1st is unprotected. I’d probably do just Kakko and the 1st as long as it’s unprotected.

I imagine it would have to be. Rangers probably shouldn't be afraid of that, their goalie alone will carry them to a playoff spot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
there’s no world where they miss the playoffs with a top three goalie
Plus adding 99 point JT Miller would give them such a boost in the playoffs next year, they could be the fave coming out of the east. The non protected wouldnt mean anything. Id want Schnieder of Lafrenire to start with, and then think about the adds

Reactions: MarkMM

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not thrilled with the deal either but I don't see how the offers would improve down the line. Teams will move on and fill holes/money in other ways which will leave us with less potential trade candidates. Maybe if Washington doesn't land Kadri they get desperate and circle back.

I imagine it would have to be. Rangers probably shouldn't be afraid of that, their goalie alone will carry them to a playoff spot.
I cannot imagine a world where at the deadline, the offer is anything less than a young roster player and a first at minimum.

The risk is obviously injury

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sure but how would that offer be better than this Rangers package? :P
It isn't - I'm saying that's the "downside" offer if we hold. Maybe there's increased upside if we wait longer.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I feel like we already have a trade that moves one of our F for a D in place. Otherwise I dont see why we are looking at acquiring more wingers and trying to move Myers as well

top 6 wing: Garland Boeser pods kuz

3rd line: pearson hogs.

3rd line C clearly needs a boost. If they lose Miller they will need to get some size back into the line up. I expect a few moves around that and a few players out.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
I would have no interest in Kakko, he is trending towards bust category, looks more like a Pavel Zacha. Kakko could of used a year in the Ahl for his early development, maybe he figures it out but the Miller trade needs to be a homerun.

Reactions: MarkMM

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Then why not continue by trading Horvat for Chytil and Petey for negotiating rights to Copp. Demko for Tyson Barrie and Quinn for Nugent Hopkins. Then sign Malkin and Letang, Claude Giroux and Johnny Gaudreau. With 70 million of our cap tied up in our new free agent signings, then we can let the real tanking begin. 100% guaranteed Stanley cup in 3-4 years.
wtf is this nonsense

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So what do we think about something like this, assuming the rumors of the Rangers being the frontrunners and Kakko being the centerpiece are true?

Miller @ 50%

Kakko
Lundkvist
2023 1st
2022 2nd

I'd rather risk keeping Miller until the TDL. Even if we ultimately take a lesser offer, I doubt much of the above will change. Say New York doesn't land anyone and they're looking to see if we'll budge. Maybe they don't offer Kakko or maybe they're a lot of more desperate and finally put in Schneider.

It's a risk no matter what we do. At least waiting gives us a chance to squeeze teams looking to "go all in". Better that than taking on an underperforming player, underperforming prospect and two late picks.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
One thing to take into consideration is that GM Sakic was getting hacked for not trading Duchene..He held out until the right deal came along...Patience.

Exactly

We already know Washington and New York have interest signing Malkin. Giroux's still on the table to, though he's, apparently, linked to the Sens and Leafs if Florida doesn't work. Kadri and Colorado want to make something work even if Jersey and Seattle sound ready to dump a truck full of money at his door.

One or more of these teams are leaving the UFA day empty-handed. Desperate GMs make desperate decisions. For once, I'd like for it not to be a Canucks' GM. :laugh:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
someones gonna cave and fall for vancouvers ask. patience. maybe before the draft even starts. last min negotiations will happen and bettman will stop mid pick and say "we have a trade to annouce.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Exactly

We already know Washington and New York have interest signing Malkin. Giroux's still on the table to, though he's, apparently, linked to the Sens and Leafs if Florida doesn't work. Kadri and Colorado want to make something work even if Jersey and Seattle sound ready to dump a truck full of money at his door.

One or more of these teams are leaving the UFA day empty-handed. Desperate GMs make desperate decisions. For once, I'd like for it not to be a Canucks' GM. :laugh:

I guess it could work. These are probably the teams in on Miller/Kadri/Malkin/Giroux:

Washington
New York
Boston
Pittsburgh (If Malkin walks)

If, for example, Kadri takes the money in Seattle, or Malkin signs in Florida, or Giroux wants to go home to Ottawa that would be a big bonus for us leverage wise as these are teams that are probably not in on Miller. Each one of these signings means 1 more potential suitor for Miller from the above list.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
What is the consensus here on trying to buy low on Colin White? Was he absolutely terrible in Ottawa to get bought out? I am just thinking as a 3C he might not be awful & could come cheap since he got the ottawa buyout money.

I wouldn't mind the FO going after Nick Deslaurier for the 4th line. Shouldn't be crazy expensive but brings some solid sandpaper for the 4th line

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Probably 10-12 million per.

If he's looking at 50-60m over 7 years, and he's doing the team a favor on term, he'll want to be compensated. This is his last big contract.

If he's UFA at 34/35 he's not getting big money. I don't think he signs anything less then max term though.

I’d do that deal 10x5yrs. Only if Myers is traded tho or else our cap is messed next year with that contract.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
there’s no world where they miss the playoffs with a top three goalie
Agreed, but one injury and that team could be in for serious regression based on their underlying stats this past year. It’d be a gamble though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We’ve waited long enough. If kakko is part of the offer, we should take it. Theres no need to overwait and f*** it all up 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Wasn’t Chytil the key piece offered up before the TDL? Is Kakko a step down from Chytil? It seems like it to me. So is not trading Miller at the last TDL resulting in less return? It seems the longer we wait on a trade the less the return.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wasn’t Chytil the key piece offered up before the TDL? Is Kakko a step down from Chytil? It seems like it to me. So is not trading Miller at the last TDL resulting in less return? It seems the longer we wait on a trade the less the return.
Kakko is definitely worth more than Chytil.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I am still not sure on both players… are they both arguably middle 6 forwards? Chytil could obviously fill the #3 C spot. Kakko will add to our already log-jammed RW position. Schneider would make this all seem better!

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad