Fantasy GM Thread | Off-Season has Begun Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Curious if something gets done today and, if so, will we hear anything until Bettman steps up to the podium.

Honestly I've never really figured out why certain trades involving picks (Stepan to ARZ, OEL to VAN come to mind) get leaked before but other ones (Schneider to NJ) don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Honestly I've never really figured out why certain trades involving picks (Stepan to ARZ, OEL to VAN come to mind) get leaked before but other ones (Schneider to NJ) don't.

I've always figured it comes down to the teams involved. Benning-era Canucks were a constantly leaky ship. Hell, HF had an insider and we knew that something was going down hours before it was leaked to the media.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weren't there a ton of trades last year before the draft? Feels like a bunch went down before the draft started.

Then the draft here there weren't any player trades during the draft, though some speculated it was a weird protest by the GMs because of the salary cap.

I think the "wait on trades until the draft starts!" thing has kind of been busted in recent years.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I wouldn't be shocked either if the Canucks flip the young forward(s) they get in a JT Miller trade for a defenseman that they desire from another team. It's pretty much what Colorado did in the Duchene trade to get Sam Girard.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I mean the clown did say patience with Benning for 8 years and that was clearly among the most bozo things a person could say at the time... So now talking about patience so profoundly just seems laughable

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Weren't there a ton of trades last year before the draft? Feels like a bunch went down before the draft started.

Then the draft here there weren't any player trades during the draft, though some speculated it was a weird protest by the GMs because of the salary cap.

I think the "wait on trades until the draft starts!" thing has kind of been busted in recent years.

This is the most common behavior, big trades happened before the draft as it takes a lot of planning. When the draft actually starts, teams are focused on drafting and moving positions.

If Tkachuk is traded, Calgary ought to be getting a haul that allows them to quickly reset though.

Same thing was said when Karlsson was traded from Ottawa

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I've always figured it comes down to the teams involved. Benning-era Canucks were a constantly leaky ship. Hell, HF had an insider and we knew that something was going down hours before it was leaked to the media.

There was lots of smoke around Schneider and the possibility he could get dealt in 2013. I just don't think any of us expected him to actually get moved.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
This is the most common behavior, big trades happened before the draft as it takes a lot of planning. When the draft actually starts, teams are focused on drafting and moving positions.

Same thing was said when Karlsson was traded from Ottawa
Karlsson returned Josh Norris and Tim Stutzle??

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
From Drance and Dhaliwal's Athletic article this morning:

"The market may not bear what Vancouver is looking for in a potential Miller trade this week, however, and the club may stick to their guns and be stubborn in sticking to their ask. Make no mistake though, Canucks management is aware of the risk they take on in continuing to hold Miller beyond the next nine or 10 days without a settlement.

All of which raises the stakes on Draft Day for Vancouver. As active as things have seemed if you’re following along on Twitter, and while all arrows are still pointing in the direction of a Miller trade in the days ahead, as Wednesday afternoon unfolded, it was quiet on all fronts for Vancouver’s new-look management group."

Reactions: supercanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Seravalli says the first playing to watch in a trade is DeBrincat with Miller very closely behind. He reiterates that he believes Miller wants to return to the USA. Names the usual interested teams. 4 or 5 teams are legitimately involved with consistent interest.

Tyler Myers is a self-fulfilling narrative. Makes the case that if you remove Myers there's no replacement. Doesn't feel that they could fill the hole in one off-season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I get mgmt is sticking to their guns and that is fine to a certain extent.

But Jesus f*** have they been underwhelming so far.

I expected more.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
From Drance and Dhaliwal's Athletic article this morning:

"The market may not bear what Vancouver is looking for in a potential Miller trade this week, however, and the club may stick to their guns and be stubborn in sticking to their ask. Make no mistake though, Canucks management is aware of the risk they take on in continuing to hold Miller beyond the next nine or 10 days without a settlement.

All of which raises the stakes on Draft Day for Vancouver. As active as things have seemed if you’re following along on Twitter, and while all arrows are still pointing in the direction of a Miller trade in the days ahead, as Wednesday afternoon unfolded, it was quiet on all fronts for Vancouver’s new-look management group."
Sounds perfect. New management leaks are all lies, which indicates we may get a haul. I mean, seems like it, we will see

Reactions: Angry Little Elf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad