Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Your hate on Marino is irrational
I think it's fair to question Marino, Pens fans seemed to have cooled off on him. He does seem solid defensively but I do think some people are overrating his puck moving ability. But then again, if he's paired with Hughes then that's not much of an issue. But I don't think he's the kind of guy who you can pair with someone like OEL and expect him to carry the pairing.

Reactions: Breakers

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Usually this means the contract talk isn’t going anywhere, Motte is probably gone by TDL

Yep. I remember in 2020, they had Brendan Dillon on during one of Dhaliwal's shows and he talked about how much he would love to be back in Vancouver (Pending UFA).

Less than 24 hours later, Washington paid up and re-signed him.

Dhaliwal is an agent mouthpiece man. Anyone who ever questions his connectedness is nuts.

Reactions: Dab and Nucker101

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a top 6 less Boeser and garland…

One, ok can probably sort it out. But both?

I mean I’ll wait to see depending on the return. Maybe the picture will be more clear. But….

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

hHJhNX8.gif

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If thats the case..I think they are going to take a stab at signing Miller.
Still don’t get this whole “if they move Garland that means they’re signing Miller” theory

That theory makes way more sense if they move the more expensive Boeser.

Or if the theory is that they’ll move both which seems like bizarre way to convince Miller to sign lol

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don’t know if I would do Garland for Marino… Garland play style, age and contract fit this team moving forward.

Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Also a guy that can do a good job as a top PKer. At his best Tanev is a good comp - Hamhuis is another as a guy who can play PP minutes but shouldn't if you are a good team.

At worst you should be getting a player that can anchor a second pairing, signed to a reasonable contract through his 24-29 year old seasons. It's hard to know in a vacuum, but assuming Boeser will take $6.5-7 million with term to re-sign, Marino seems like a better bet to both meet and exceed his contract value.

I agree with the defensive upside but at worst it would be what he was last season where he was not a 2nd pairing anchor?

Marino is a second-pair player on a strong team and the guy ahead of him on Pittsburgh's RD depth chart is going to get genuine Hall of Fame consideration. He's mobile, positionally sound and has respectable puck skills. You don't think that's an upgrade on what's here? Anyway, I've said all that I care to say because I don't see why Pittsburgh would move him.

But the Penguins don't have good RHD depth. It might be hard to believe but in terms of 5 v 5 defense, the Canucks are actually better than the Penguins this year. We've surrendered the 2nd least 5 v 5 goals in the league.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if the Penguins would move him but if they do it would be for the same reasons that I am discussing here. The guy carries a pretty hefty contract. If he's that 2nd pairing defensive anchor on the right side then that's a good contract. If he's not, then that's a contract you look to move.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Still don’t get this whole “if they move Garland that means they’re signing Miller” theory

That theory makes way more sense if they move the more expensive Boeser.

Or if the theory is that they’ll move both which seems like bizarre way to convince Miller to sign lol
I think that Garland is the easiest, and most attractive financially to move out..Maybe they do move Boeser out, maybe they dont (depends on if he wants to stay, and for how much..?)....

I'm starting to lean on the opinion that Miller could be staying..my .02 cents.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Your hate on Marino is irrational
i like him... he's solidly 3-4-5 on a depth chart but he hasn't been as good as his rookie year and if i'm cashing in big ticket items i want it to be for a impact player not just someone who can fill a top4 spot and i'm concerned he's trending the wrong way but i guess you can say that with Boeser although i've already stated my case that he bounces back

The timing sucks also unless Pitt takes Hamonic or Myers back also which they wouldn't. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to trade a top line scorer devalued for a small upgrade on Hamonic and i would question if he would want to be here as well as it was an issue earlier in his career.

You would have to include Myers or Hamonic going back which they are not gonna want to do contract wise and then you end up devaluing the asset again in order for them to make those concessions.

I mean if the Pens took Hamonic Boeser for Marino and Kapanen then you maybe have a case as that solves a age gap top4 issue for us and gets us a 5v5 forward piece and it costs the same as Boeser's QO but i doubt Pittsburgh wants Hamonic as they have their own cap issues. Why stop there add Motte and they can toss us a 2nd round pick and then were starting to have my head come around on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don’t know if I would do Garland for Marino… Garland play style, age and contract fit this team moving forward.
I think player ability wise they are roughly equal
Both are on decent contracts too
My problem is Garland is more valuable than Boeser because of the contract

Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I’m playing a semantics game? Boeser is a perennial 30 goal scorer that has never scored 30. Just stating a fact. Consistency and durability are required to hit that mark and he hasn’t.
Again he missed by 1 goal in 62 games yr1 and probably would have got 30 if Green hadn't weirdly sat him to start the year.

26 in 69 with a back injury March 5th 2018 that was not a durability issue (in fact he was lucky it wasn't career ending from that shithead Clutterschmuck)

And then he's had 2 Covid yrs shortened.

Has little to do with being durable really.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You don’t trade a guy that gifts you PP time and produces even strength

This is the exact same situation as the rangers trading buchnevich, and as soon as they traded him they are instantly looking for a guy who produces at even strength and is going to cost them 3 or 4x as much as they got when they traded him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad