Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if you could build something around Boeser plus one of the bad RD contracts for Marino and Zucker plus pieces to even things out. They may value Myers and be willing to take the short term improvement in exchange for the long term risk, or see Poolman or Hamonic as a worthwhile swap.

I was looking earlier and they have the cap space to accommodate, at least for this season. However it's via the LTIR generated by Zucker so I can't see him being included.

Reactions: pitseleh

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wonder if this would be more of a Myers thing than anything. Marino & Kapanen for Motte & Myers? Then you still do something with Boeser and NJ.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I was looking earlier and they have the cap space to accommodate, at least for this season. However it's via the LTIR generated by Zucker so I can't see him being included.

Oh interesting. I hadn’t looked closely but makes sense now that you mention it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That favours Canucks…

Kapanen > motte
Marino > Myers

its closer when Boeser is included tbh.

The interesting part, that we've been talking about for a couple of months now, is I don't think anyone on this forum has a proper gauge of what Boeser's value is. I'm at the point where I'd be pretty fine with a Boeser for Marino straight swap but I know there's a bunch here who'd call me insane.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The interesting part, that we've been talking about for a couple of months now, is I don't think anyone on this forum has a proper gauge of what Boeser's value is. I'm at the point where I'd be pretty fine with a Boeser for Marino straight swap but I know there's a bunch here who'd call me insane.
Honestly, it wouldn’t be the worst deal I’ve seen… top 4/ cost controlled D that fits the age range. Now I am not sure penguins would do this while they are hunting down playoffs.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I'd consider a top-4 RHD of the same age signed long-term at $4.4 million to be a win in exchange for Boeser at $7.5 going forward, but I would expect that most of the fanbase would LOSE THEIR MINDS if that trade happened.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
No it wouldn't it would be selling low on a 30goal 60-65 pt player.

Marino for Boeser yikes

If we're using projections and potential that actually hasn't happened then Marino is a 40 point defenceman (almost entirely at EV) signed to an excellent contract for a long time.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Yeah, I'd consider a top-4 RHD of the same age signed long-term at $4.4 million to be a win in exchange for Boeser at $7.5 going forward, but I would expect that most of the fanbase would LOSE THEIR MINDS if that trade happened.
I mean I think our fans will lose their minds regardless. Never going to appease the masses.

we don’t trade him, people are mad
We resign him for $7.5M, people are mad
We trade him for Marino , people are mad
We trade him for kapanen/zacha, people are mad
We trade him for draft pick, people are mad

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If we're using projections and potential that actually hasn't happened then Marino is a 40 point defenceman (almost entirely at EV) signed to an excellent contract for a long time.
yes sure he's nice player but the target has to be a top3 cornerstone. Tell me what makes us that much better with Marino instead of Hamonic/Myers/Schenn or a stop gap vs losing a 30 goals scorer that's 24/25.

The answer is..... it's a stupid move that wastes one of our prime assets. If it was a secondary player then maybe that makes more sense. Jeesh i hope Allvin is smarter than that.

Reactions: Draino

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
yes sure he's nice player but the target has to be a top3 cornerstone. Tell me what makes us that much better with Marino instead of Hamonic/Myers/Schenn or a stop gap vs losing a 30 goals scorer that's 24/25.

The answer is..... it's a stupid move that wastes one of our prime assets. If it was a secondary player then maybe that makes more sense. Jeesh i hope Allvin is smarter than that.

Because I don't view Boeser as a 30 goal scorer? He's a fungible complementary scorer who doesn't drive his line and will soon be worth far less than his cap hit. Also somewhat injury prone. I don't know much about Marino. Hell, I don't know much about the vast majority of players in the league. This is exactly what I posted about earlier, though. Most people would be very upset over this trade but I'm fine with it because I just don't view Boeser's value as high as many people do.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
No it wouldn't it would be selling low on a 30goal 60-65 pt player.

Marino for Boeser yikes

I'd consider that one with a 2nd-round pick or B-level prospect added, depending on Boeser' contract demands. Marino's a solid 2nd-pair defenceman and he brings the right attributes at the right position. Not sure about his attitude on getting moved back to western Canada, considering that he refused to sign with the Oilers. Anyway, I doubt that Pittsburgh wants to move Marino; they are in go-for-it mode and would more likely move prospects and draft picks. They'd have to have another deal lined up for a Marino replacement.

That is not a fair comparison of projections because Boeser is a 65-per-82 point producer in his career whereas Marino is a 28-per-82 producer.

Reactions: sting101

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd consider that one with a 2nd-round pick or B-level prospect added, depending on Boeser' contract demands. Marino's a solid 2nd-pair defenceman and he brings the right attributes at the right position. Not sure about his attitude on getting moved back to western Canada, considering that he refused to sign with the Oilers. Anyway, I doubt that Pittsburgh wants to move Marino; they are in go-for-it mode and would more likely move prospects and draft picks. They'd have to have another deal lined up for a Marino replacement.

That is not a fair comparison of projections because Boeser is a 65-per-82 point producer in his career whereas Marino is a 28-per-82 producer.

Almost entirely EV too. That's is an extremely valuable player.

Reactions: pitseleh

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
@VanillaCoke

What do you think the figure would be on a 6-7 year deal?

It won't be 7.5, sure, but i also don't think it will be significantly far off either.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Marino has a sub 50CF% and is the only (-) defenseman on the team at -6. Is he just being tasked with matching up against other teams top lines every night? He doesnt put up a ton of points and doesnt play much PP. He isnt a shut down guy either. Tall thinner framed right shot dman, someone tell me why he's that much better than Tucker Poolman. Forgive my ignorance, i dont watch the Pens much!

5v5, Marino is a 53% Corsi guy this season. He's -6 because the Penguins' shooting % when he's been on the ice at 5v5 this season is almost as low as the Canucks' when Boeser has been on the ice this season. Marino is a solid player as a defender and puck mover.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
5v5, Marino is a 53% Corsi guy this season. He's -6 because the Penguins' shooting % when he's been on the ice at 5v5 this season is almost as low as the Canucks' when Boeser has been on the ice this season. Marino is a solid player as a defender and puck mover.
interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad