Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Boeser is getting paid. We don’t determine his value by willing it to fit our ideology. Based on the stats vs his peers and the fact that he already signed a bridge, he is getting paid period. It’s not hard to see.

I know the homers like FAN want to believe this isn’t the case but it is. Lol

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
yes sure he's nice player but the target has to be a top3 cornerstone. Tell me what makes us that much better with Marino instead of Hamonic/Myers/Schenn or a stop gap vs losing a 30 goals scorer that's 24/25.

The answer is..... it's a stupid move that wastes one of our prime assets. If it was a secondary player then maybe that makes more sense. Jeesh i hope Allvin is smarter than that.
Bruce’s Marino a a bonifide top 4 RHD with decent defensive numbers and a good contract? He would instantly becomes our 2nd best D
Also, Boeser is not a 30 goals socorer, that ship has sailed a while ago. He is a younger Mike Hoffman

Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Because I don't view Boeser as a 30 goal scorer? He's a fungible complementary scorer who doesn't drive his line and will soon be worth far less than his cap hit. Also somewhat injury prone. I don't know much about Marino. Hell, I don't know much about the vast majority of players in the league. This is exactly what I posted about earlier, though. Most people would be very upset over this trade but I'm fine with it because I just don't view Boeser's value as high as many people do.
well he's scored at 30.75 per 82 games in his career on a middling to poor team so???? If thats not a 30 goal scorer i dont know what is.

I can see the trepidation with how things have gone this year but are we forgetting last year when he was our top forward.

I tend to believe that the start this year had a lot to do with Horvat Boeser Pettersson and others being fed up and really not giving a shit about the leadership and coaching in this organization. I think this has to be carefully considered before selling prime aged 1st line production assets

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
5v5, Marino is a 53% Corsi guy this season. He's -6 because the Penguins' shooting % when he's been on the ice at 5v5 this season is almost as low as the Canucks' when Boeser has been on the ice this season. Marino is a solid player as a defender and puck mover.

The issue is that he has 5 years left on a contract that pays him $4.4M. If we're trading a significant asset for him, one would hope that he's more than a solid player.

I haven't watched him closely, but by most accounts, he was real good in his rookie year but sucked last year. This year, looking at his stats, he seems fine to me. You're basically looking for him to be the defensive presence alongside either Hughes or OEL. If he can provide that then you're getting value out of his contract and would be an excellent edition.

Again, we're talking about giving up a Boeser type asset for him + another player/asset. He's an upgrade over Poolman for sure since Poolman can't handle the tough matchup minutes. But an upgrade over what Schenn and Hamonic has given us defensively this year? I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Draino

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Boeser won't ever reach his potential here in Vancouver because there's nobody that can carry him as a play driver. The Penguins would be a perfect destination for him where he's guaranteed to play with an elite center in Crosby or Malkin. Boeser needs someone that can get the puck up the ice and make space for him. He's a deadly player with time and space but he can't create that for himself because he's too slow.

Reactions: Nucker101

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
well he's scored at 30.75 per 82 games in his career on a middling to poor team so???? If thats not a 30 goal scorer i dont know what is.

I can see the trepidation with how things have gone this year but are we forgetting last year when he was our top forward.

I tend to believe that the start this year had a lot to do with Horvat Boeser Pettersson and others being fed up and really not giving a shit about the leadership and coaching in this organization. I think this has to be carefully considered before selling prime aged 1st line production assets

I have posted this a million times but okay players can actually produce well on bad teams as they are given higher minutes and prime opportunities (on top 6 lines and on powerplays).

Chicago: Kyle Calder, Mark Bell and Tyler Arnason
Edmonton: Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner
Colorado: David Jones, Paul Stastny
New York: Matt Moulson, P.A. Parenteau

Watching games, you can see Boeser has decent positional skill but he's totally let down by his lack of footspeed and his shot (hasn't been the same in a while). You're absolutely toast in this era if you lose any notch of speed.

@Regress To The Meme just said it best. An elite playmaker in Crosby could perhaps create space and room for him. If they want to pay him the salary and term, then go ahead...Just don't want to be the team that locks him into any sort of term contract.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We really do because he wants to be here. If I’m Boeser i also take a long term deal at 6-6.5 over a one year 7.5 QO too. He’s not stupid

You originally said he'd take a cheaper bridge deal. Why would he do that when he has two guaranteed years of 7.5m QO due to his RFA status? The only real leverage the Canucks have is being able to take him to arbitration and, in their evaluation, think they can get something significantly cheaper than his QO.

Not sure why he would sign a long term deal not even worth 1m more than he's currently making.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

If that isn’t a 30 goal scorer then you don’t know what is? I’ll solve the mystery, a 30 goal scorer is someone that has scored 30 goals in their career

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Marino for Boeser almost feels too good to be true, tbh. I heard Drance calling him "better Tucker Poolman" on Canucks Hour today...I don't think that's right. He's a very productive ES player, just has no flair you can use on the PP. Think Chris Tanev is a better comparable, though obviously intangibles aren't there.
Tanev was the first comparison came up in my mind too
Not much offence but very solid and trust worthy in his own end and D zone transaction

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The issue is that he has 5 years left on a contract that pays him $4.4M. If we're trading a significant asset for him, one would hope that he's more than a solid player.

I haven't watched him closely, but by most accounts, he was real good in his rookie year but sucked last year. This year, looking at his stats, he seems fine to me. You're basically looking for him to be the defensive presence alongside either Hughes or OEL. If he can provide that then you're getting value out of his contract and would be an excellent edition.

Again, we're talking about giving up a Boeser type asset for him + another player/asset. He's an upgrade over Poolman for sure since Poolman can't handle the tough matchup minutes. But an upgrade over what Schenn and Hamonic has given us defensively this year? I'm not so sure.

Marino is a second-pair player on a strong team and the guy ahead of him on Pittsburgh's RD depth chart is going to get genuine Hall of Fame consideration. He's mobile, positionally sound and has respectable puck skills. You don't think that's an upgrade on what's here? Anyway, I've said all that I care to say because I don't see why Pittsburgh would move him.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Marino for Boeser almost feels too good to be true, tbh. I heard Drance calling him "better Tucker Poolman" on Canucks Hour today...I don't think that's right. He's a very productive ES player, just has no flair you can use on the PP. Think Chris Tanev is a better comparable, though obviously intangibles aren't there.

Also a guy that can do a good job as a top PKer. At his best Tanev is a good comp - Hamhuis is another as a guy who can play PP minutes but shouldn't if you are a good team.

At worst you should be getting a player that can anchor a second pairing, signed to a reasonable contract through his 24-29 year old seasons. It's hard to know in a vacuum, but assuming Boeser will take $6.5-7 million with term to re-sign, Marino seems like a better bet to both meet and exceed his contract value.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The interesting part, that we've been talking about for a couple of months now, is I don't think anyone on this forum has a proper gauge of what Boeser's value is. I'm at the point where I'd be pretty fine with a Boeser for Marino straight swap but I know there's a bunch here who'd call me insane.

theres a bunch of ppl overvaluing boeser. That new contract is not great

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If that isn’t a 30 goal scorer then you don’t know what is? I’ll solve the mystery, a 30 goal scorer is someone that has scored 30 goals in their career
well that's super fair given 2 of the last 3 seasons he didn't get a chance due to Covid one of them he was recovering from a horrendous back injury and his rookie year he scored 29 in 62 games. But you can continue to play the semantics game.

Marini has 1 goal has the worst goal differential on his team and is 5th of 6 defenseman in 5v5 pts. We can both play that game if you want to.

Reactions: Draino

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
We really do because he wants to be here. If I’m Boeser i also take a long term deal at 6-6.5 over a one year 7.5 QO too. He’s not stupid
You’re moving the goalposts. You said he’d sign a cheaper bridge deal. He has no motivation to do thst. He MAY be interested in a cheaper long term deal. We’ll see. But there’s no way he’ll take a cheap bridge deal when his QO is essentially a 1 or 2 year bridge deal.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
well that's super fair given 2 of the last 3 seasons he didn't get a chance due to Covid one of them he was recovering from a horrendous back injury and his rookie year he scored 29 in 62 games. But you can continue to play the semantics game.

Marini has 1 goal has the worst goal differential on his team and is 5th of 6 defenseman in 5v5 pts. We can both play that game if you want to.

He's tied with Dumoulin with EV 15 points (14 5v5) each which puts them both as 3rd on the team.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

I’m playing a semantics game? Boeser is a perennial 30 goal scorer that has never scored 30. Just stating a fact. Consistency and durability are required to hit that mark and he hasn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad